It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug that could stop MS discovered

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

A drug that could stop multiple sclerosis in its tracks has been discovered by scientists. In a major breakthrough in the battle against the devastating disease, researchers have pinpointed the chemical “driving force” behind MS. Without it, the disease does not develop. And when it is mopped up, symptoms are greatly eased, even in brains already ravaged by the illness. The results come from experiments on mice but the researchers say they are “quietly optimistic” that taking the same tack will help people with MS. The first trials on patients are pencilled in for later this year.

source

wow just to awesome a hope for me to comment Let's all hope the promising results carry over in the human trials.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
If true, this is a huge breakthrough. Thanks for posting!!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
MMJ.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanishr

Exactly what I was thinking when I read this....Although its been known to calm the effects of MS, I dont think it destroys it completely.
edit on 09/05/2011 by Matti420 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Explanation: S&F!

Key info from source...

The excitement centres on two studies published recently which show an immune system chemical called GM-CSF to be the “vital piece in the jigsaw” of MS.

Personal Disclosure: I like very much that not only ...

Mopping up excess GM-CSF may also help treat other conditions, including diabetes, it is hoped.

But that it also could possibly help those that currently already suffer this debilitating disease...

The drug was also given to mice whose disease was similar to the most common form of MS, in which relapses are followed by periods of remission. Here, mopping up the GM-CSF prevented any further relapses, the journal Nature Immunology reports.

Becher said: “We are extremely hopeful but whether this form of therapy will actually help MS patients remains to be seen. Quiet optimism is the way to go.

“I am not sure this is going to work in patients but, based on the mouse data, I believe GM-CSF is a good thing to target.”

Best News I have heard on ATS since cancer was cured!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Matti420

or even reverses damage as seen here to some degree

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Thanks for that I was more than a little excited when I read this and wanted to get it out there

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

As seen where? I dont see "said subject" being mentioned anywhere in that article...
I dont supose it really matters as either way this is a potentially awesome medical find.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Good find. Yes this is a very big deal.

I have known people whom I loved dearly that have suffered and suffer from MS. It's no fun and it can become tragic quickly.

I can only hope and pray that these people get the help they need and one day soon have something which can begin a recovery and lead to good health one day.

Flag this one folks, and let's debate the ramifications and claims.

Also, are there any other "covered up" cures or treatments that anyone knows about? Specifically herbal etc?

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matti420
reply to post by iforget

As seen where? I dont see "said subject" being mentioned anywhere in that article...
I dont supose it really matters as either way this is a potentially awesome medical find.

I guess we are reading a line that I quoted in my OP differently it is vague enough to be arguable but I don't feel the need. Have a good day my mistake

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
For anyone who isn't informed about what exactly "MS" is, I will link you to a highly informative article at Wiki that will explain the issue in great detail.
Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple sclerosis (abbreviated MS, also known as disseminated sclerosis or encephalomyelitis disseminata) is an inflammatory disease in which the fatty myelin sheaths around the axons of the brain and spinal cord are damaged, leading to demyelination and scarring as well as a broad spectrum of signs and symptoms.

MS affects the ability of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord to communicate with each other.

Almost any neurological symptom can appear with the disease, and often progresses to physical and cognitive disability.

This is a extremely serious disorder/disease and we as a society should be focused on how to remedy this and other similar illnesses.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
A bit of good news is rare these days. It seems we are starting to make a lot of good breakthroughs lately actually. S&F.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Great news for the medical world and MS diagnosed human beings! I wonder just how many side effects this new drug has though? Will it completely kill all the MS in ones body?. Will it Cause other serious harm to ones body? These are just a few thing i wonder about due to Ms being in the family.
edit on 10-5-2011 by TgP3o6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It's not the first drug to alleviate the symptoms of MS. It will depend on what type of MS it will be effective upon.

The drug was also given to mice whose disease was similar to the most common form of MS

Or it's like saying we have the cure for cancer, but there are so many types of cancer...

I know someone who could walk and work like everybody else, but the drug to alleviate his symptoms of MS was deemed to cost more than he could bring in terms of revenue and after a year was told he would be denied the drug.

And when it is mopped up, symptoms are greatly eased

You see, it is not, as always, a cure, but simply the stalling of debilitating effects, forcing you to buy the med constantly... Sorry to sound so depressing about this, but I know the reality of MS, so...

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Maybe all those MS readathons I did as a kid really did help make a difference. Its hard to stay optimistic when we don't see any steps in the right direction. Heres hoping for those affected there is relief in their grasp. Its seems the GOV can wave the mandatory time span for side effect studies ie Swine flu vaccine. I wonder how this one will play out.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
My friend's mum has had this illness for years and it's slowly getting worse for her and she is very close to giving in to it. He's tried everything he can to help her including the use of weed but unfortunately although it eased her symptoms it made her very uneasy due to it's illegality and how it made her feel (Paranoia etc..)
I've posted it to my friends Facebook wall to see if her doctor could possibly get her into the human trials.
It's a bit of hope for them so I thank you for posting this.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
My mom has suffered from this nasty disease for 15 yrs. It's been hard watching her slowly diminish physically and mentally, but she still remains stubborn. I will pass this info along S&F thanks op.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by iforget

A drug that could stop multiple sclerosis in its tracks has been discovered by scientists. In a major breakthrough in the battle against the devastating disease, researchers have pinpointed the chemical “driving force” behind MS. Without it, the disease does not develop. And when it is mopped up, symptoms are greatly eased, even in brains already ravaged by the illness. The results come from experiments on mice but the researchers say they are “quietly optimistic” that taking the same tack will help people with MS. The first trials on patients are pencilled in for later this year.

source

wow just to awesome a hope for me to comment Let's all hope the promising results carry over in the human trials.

(Absolute Tears of Joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) (literally) My mother has had MS for almost 34 years now, is wheel chair bound, and suffers everyday of her life. She is in the 10th stage of MS and the past four years have been a roller coaster nightmare of ups and downs, 911 calls, hospital stays, medical bills, not to mention all of the emotional turmoil it has had not only on her, but the entire family. Things to say the least have been quite depressing. But this,......this here is finally some good news we have been waiting for. (for too long now) The running joke around these parts is "When are Doctors going to stop practicing medicine, and just finally get it right?" Well, I guess they are finally getting it right, all those MS fundraiser walks must have finally paid off!

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

I did not see your post, my heart goes out to you and your family. It is one of the hardest things to watch, and not be able to do a damn thing about. You and your family will be in our thoughts as well

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

Gunshooter Jaynkeel and any others I know the feeling. Good luck to us all

edit on 5/10/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join