It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuke Cannon?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Is the following video real?
www.ebaumsworld.com...

It contains good footage of a atomic bomb shot out of a cannon and its effects.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Yea, its real, its one of those "What the F%$# were they thinking weapons" The video refused to play for me but the US built a 280 MM howitzer designed to lob nuclear tipped shells. Its nickname was atomic annie
www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
That was indeed a real weapon. Check out this though
The Davy Crockett

The Davy Crockett (shown here at the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland in March 1961) was the smallest and lightest nuclear weapon ever deployed by the U.S. military. It was designed for use in Europe against Soviet troop formations.

The Davy Crockett consisted of an XM-388 projectile launched from either a 120-millimeter (XM-28) or 155-millimeter (XM-29) recoilless rifle (the 120 millimeter version is shown above). This weapon had a maximum range of 1.24 miles (120 millimeter) to 2.49 miles (155 millimeter). The XM-388 casing (including the warhead and fin assembly) weighed 76 pounds, was 30 inches long and measured 11 inches in diameter (at its widest point).

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Yeah. I think it was real. I have seen the footage of the explosion before but the video had some nice extra stuff on.

Operation: Upshot Knothole
Shot Name: Grable
Shot number: 10
Date: May 25, 1953
Detonation: Airburst Yield: 15 kt
Height of Blast: 524 ft
Mark 9 Gun Weapon
Sponser: Los Alamos Nuclear Laboratory

The Atomic Cannon, at 280 mm, was the largest nuclear capable mobile artillery piece manufactured by the United States. On May 25, 1953, a 280 mm cannon fired an atomic projectile a distance of 7 miles at the Nevada Test Site. Twenty 280 mm cannons were manufactured. None were used in battle.

www.vce.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
These have been around for ages. Since at least the 50's/60's I think.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Yes it's real, it's featured in the best documentary abour nukes ever made, Trinity And Beyond. Check that out, you'll love it.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
In fact, that clip is taken directly from Trinity and Beyond. Let me add my recommendation that everyone watch it - it's narrated by William Shatner! It's also got a great original soundtrack, parts of which are often used for trailers for big-name action movies.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Does anybody know what those dozen or so tall thin smoke trails are to the right of the explosion? They are present as soon as the initial light blast dies down, and seem to hang around for most of the clip, unaffected by the blast itself.

Any ideas?

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by muppet
Does anybody know what those dozen or so tall thin smoke trails are to the right of the explosion? They are present as soon as the initial light blast dies down, and seem to hang around for most of the clip, unaffected by the blast itself.

They are from rockets, and are used to measure the progression of the shock wave:

Several years later this phenomenon was put to use with the aid of smoke rockets launched from the ground seconds before the detonation. This created an vertical array of reference lines against which the progress of the shock front could be photographed.

www.nuclearweaponarchive.org...

[edit on 7/31/2004 by PurdueNuc]

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Ah haaa! thanks PurdueNuc.. A nifty idea!

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurdueNuc
In fact, that clip is taken directly from Trinity and Beyond. Let me add my recommendation that everyone watch it - it's narrated by William Shatner! It's also got a great original soundtrack, parts of which are often used for trailers for big-name action movies.

I got to ask questions to the director of Trinity and Beyond a while back. Great guy, he was a sfx guy on the original Star Wars movies and he's won a technical Oscar for his film restoration work.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
What would happen if some one dropped the shell before loading it into the cannon? Would it go off? Do they have time delay settings or something. I would # My pants if i saw one of does cannons being pointed towards me.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpockO_o
What would happen if some one dropped the shell before loading it into the cannon? Would it go off? Do they have time delay settings or something. I would # My pants if i saw one of does cannons being pointed towards me.

Yeas, what a pickup line: IS that a fuzed man portable nuclear device or are you happy to see me? I think htat it would have to fly a certain distance before it is armed. You would not want it going off in your own lines.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Lol I will just go hide under a rock.

How strong are these shells/nukes? Could they take out a city or just damage it a wee bit.

posted on Jul, 31 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The Davy Crocket was a wonderful weapon. Range: 1.5 miles, blast radius: 2 miles

Dig Hole. Pray.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   

How strong are these shells/nukes? Could they take out a city or just damage it a wee bit.

Well the yield of the cannon weapon is said to be between 15 and 20 kt.

The bomb that were dropped in Japan were about the same size.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I love hyperbole. The Davy Crocket is right up my alley because of that. You have to admire such insane concepts! The next-best thing would be a nuclear hand grenade.

It could be mounted on jeep, also.

Kind of a 'fire-and-forget-the-gunner' weapon.

There were also nuclear shells for th 155mm cannons. Generally these shells would take twice the powder of a regular cannon shell. There also had to be tons of nuclear security guys around them at all times.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperen

Yeah but houses in Japan were made out of paper and wood, a modern city is also bigger with all of the buildings and hard structures would be much harder to flatten with a 15kt bomb.

[edit on 1-8-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Wow,Thanks guys. I still cant belive they would design a "atomic annie"
like cannon. TBH, I wouldn't be within 20miles of a thing like that who knows what could happen
!

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperen

Your right, but these insane weapons (atomic annie and Davey crockett) were really ment for use on open Soviet troop formations. You would get way more destrcution if you dropped them in the heart of a city. Advancing troops would be pretty spread out, you you would want a pretty wide blast area to get the maximum damage.

It is really scary that the planners thought that they could keep a nuclear exchange like this on a tactical level.

<<   2 >>

join