It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange noise over Portland tonight.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Heard this strange rumbling sound coming outside my apartment tonight at about 945pm pst. It lasted for a solid 2 minutes. I live on the eastside of town, about 9 miles from downtown. It sounded like it was coming from downtown. The rumbling resembled what many people are hearing in random places throughout the country. Our airport host an air national guard squad so I know what after burners from a f15 and 16 sound like, wasn't anything like that. Anyone else catch it? I thought for sure the city was getting bombed.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by loneranger26

the earths soul is screaming,so is mine

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I heard a rumbling noise. Although I'm in Vancouver BC, Canada, lasted for 2 minutes as well. However it was at around 10:30 or so. I forgot the time. I first thought it may have been an alien spacecraft, then I thought it may have been bombs.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Portland where?! Let's assume you're in the US:

New Portland, Maine (not near Portland, Maine)
Portland, Arkansas
Portland, Colorado
Portland, Connecticut
Portland, Illinois, a proposed city adjacent to Blue Island, Illinois that was later largely incorporated into it
Portland, Indiana, a city in Jay County near the eastern border of the state
Portland, Indiana, a former name for Fountain, Indiana, in Fountain County near the western border of the state
Portland, Iowa, in Polk County
Portland, Kentucky, a community in Adair County
Portland, Louisville, Kentucky, a former town and now a neighborhood in Louisville, Jefferson County
Portland, Maine
Portland, Michigan
Portland, Missouri
Portland, New York
Portland, North Dakota
Portland, Ohio
Portland, Oregon
Portland, Pennsylvania
Portland, Tennessee
Portland, Texas
Portland, Dodge County, Wisconsin
Portland, Monroe County, Wisconsin

Do NOT just say Portland. Do NOT just say Springfield. Nearly every bloody state has at least one of those two! Holy mackerel, people. Know your country a little better, eh?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

strange, could have possibly been from the same object, traveling what seems to from south to north. maybe a missle or military project of some sort.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Portland,OR. When any American see's the city Portland they think Portland, OR, since it is the biggest Portland in the country, also the largest city in Oregon. However, since you live in Northern Europe, your not too familiar. I understand

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Hmm I'm in Washington State in Auburn and I did hear an off noise that caught my attention but passed it off as an airplane overhead

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

you are on the outskirts of the city or near it, and are reporting this sound was coming from the direction of the city, so there ought to be many hundreds more witness's to this sound if it is so, the direction you reference it came from is all people, suburbs, houses and the like, i have gone and googled for it but at this time their is no results, i recommend doing the same, or ask your neighbors and friends if they heard it too, get some people to corroborate the accounting

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
Portland where?! Let's assume you're in the US:

New Portland, Maine (not near Portland, Maine)
Portland, Arkansas
Portland, Colorado
Portland, Connecticut
Portland, Illinois, a proposed city adjacent to Blue Island, Illinois that was later largely incorporated into it
Portland, Indiana, a city in Jay County near the eastern border of the state
Portland, Indiana, a former name for Fountain, Indiana, in Fountain County near the western border of the state
Portland, Iowa, in Polk County
Portland, Kentucky, a community in Adair County
Portland, Louisville, Kentucky, a former town and now a neighborhood in Louisville, Jefferson County
Portland, Maine
Portland, Michigan
Portland, Missouri
Portland, New York
Portland, North Dakota
Portland, Ohio
Portland, Oregon
Portland, Pennsylvania
Portland, Tennessee
Portland, Texas
Portland, Dodge County, Wisconsin
Portland, Monroe County, Wisconsin

Do NOT just say Portland. Do NOT just say Springfield. Nearly every bloody state has at least one of those two! Holy mackerel, people. Know your country a little better, eh?

Relax chief, if he lived in a small Portland he would have specified, no need to get bent outta shape bro

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Didn't get a recording of it?

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
OK, I'm pretty sure I can lay this one to rest.

I live in NE Portland. During the time the OP mentioned, I was at the Glisan Fred Meyers with a friend of mine buying some beer. We heard some REALLY loud booms that you could feel in your chest.

Being kind of confused, we looked around. Towards downtown we saw some HUGE fireworks. Like 4th of July state-run type fireworks.

Once we arrived home (about 2 miles away) some other people were talking about the fireworks too, as it seemed like an odd time for there to be huge fireworks going on. We checked the internet and couldn't find anything about it, but we all assumed it was just some belated cinco de mayo celebration considering cinco de mayo fell on a Thursday.

So I can't say for sure that what you heard was fireworks, but I CAN say for sure, that during the time you are talking about, there were huge fireworks being set off around the downtown area. These fireworks spooked some people in my neighborhood and definitely got my attention.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
This somewhat outdated and out of location BUT is interesting the mention of fireworks because on Easter Sunday there was a lot of booms and it was very much like fireworks, here in VA. It seemed odd because it was around midnight. I could not think of any reason why there would be fireworks on Easter.. I did get a recording of it but that would be for another thread

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Sounds like we may have solved this mystery scooby, fireworks does seem logical, Portland has a fairly large cinco de mayo celebration, wouldnt be uncommon for their to be fireworks. Sorry no recordings, I was sitting in front of my tv right next to my sliding door when I heard it, so I muted my tv and stuck my head out the door. My apartment is about 7 blocks from the gateway Fred Meyer there, so we werent too far from eachother

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

My mother and sisters live in Eugene, OR. Never been there myself though. I'm from the southwest > New Mexico born, but raised primarily on naval bases on either coast. Still, I can't see how you can *assume* it's *that* Portland or *that* Springfield. There are loads of others. And it's not all Americans on this site, you know.

I mean, if you live in Finland, you can't just say you live at Pyhäjärvi (Holy Lake) because they are all over the place.

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by loneranger26

Sounds like we may have solved this mystery scooby, fireworks does seem logical, Portland has a fairly large cinco de mayo celebration, wouldnt be uncommon for their to be fireworks. Sorry no recordings, I was sitting in front of my tv right next to my sliding door when I heard it, so I muted my tv and stuck my head out the door. My apartment is about 7 blocks from the gateway Fred Meyer there, so we werent too far from eachother

Ah indeed we were pretty close!

It freaked me out at first when I heard the sound. I was thinking we were under attack or something haha. Then after looking around the skyline we saw a bunch of big firework's bursts and went "Ohhhhhhhh"

I still can't find what they were for, my best guess is still Cinco De Mayo, I'll update this post if I find anything about it online.

EDIT: Well I found an article about some fireworks. It says its a 4 day celebration starting on the 2nd, so I'm assuming it ended on Friday (the 6th) It goes on to say the fireworks can be seen from both sides of the river, so it seems it was in fact Cinco De Mayo fireworks. Article
HERE
edit on 7-5-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Excellent! Just so glad we were not getting bombed!

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
When I first saw your post last night I searched on twitter. A guy posted about how Portland will do fireworks on any night for any reason and attached a picture of fireworks. lol Fireworks get blamed for so many odd things that happen birds dying, strange noises..... being bran new here I didn't want to be the one to throw that out lol (yes you can call me a chicken S&^%) So I am glad that's truly what it was. When ever people see streaks in the sky or hear big noises I always go right to twitter to see if others are talking about it.

posted on May, 8 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

When any American see's the city Portland they think Portland, OR

I'm an American, who happens to be in Portland, OR this week, and can verify that I never assume Portland, OR with only Portland to go by.

I can also verify the loud booms another poster mentioned, and that I heard something about a fireworks display somewhere downtown.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
ok people, look at this video, Strange sound in Kiev again Aug.11.11.
youtu.be...

And since I'm a novice, please create a topic to look into this!
edit on 11-8-2011 by yurasham83 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join