It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water in Mississippi River Heading for Louisiana State of Emergency

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I am just now finding out about this! Is the "Mighty Mississippi" getting ready to flood us.
I live around the corner from NOLA and Baton Rouge and part of the Atchafalaya up the road we go fishing in!!
This is a little unsettling to say the least.
May someone can shed some light on this?

High Water in Mississippi River Heading for Louisiana

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by RajunCajun

It's not looking good:

The decision is in the hands of a federal judge who heard arguments over a plan to intentionally break a Mississippi River levee.

Source

Hope you stay safe!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Be safe. If they tell you to leave for any reason, do so, Water isn't to be played with.

ETA: well you know, not for ANY reason, but I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about. lol
edit on 30-4-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Isn't that what the spillway is for? Don't they dump the water from the river to the lake if it gets too high?
edit on 30-4-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

EDIT should have read the article first. Yes spillways will work hopefully. Although it destroys the ecosystem I hear.
edit on 30-4-2011 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Well, I guess the spillway just failed terribly at the most important point when levees were blown up..

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Wow....it's the first I have heard of this...thanks for the heads up! I'm in Terrytown (gretna) on the westbank....so I THINK I'm ok. I'll be watching this though.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Mississippi River levee system about to be blown up??

Levees

The U.S. Appeals Court in St. Louis on Saturday denied a request by Missouri's attorney general for an injunction to prevent the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers from opening up an emergency floodway to ease near-record flooding on the Mississippi River. On Friday, a U.S. district court had rejected the state's motion for a temporary restraining order against the move, which would send a quarter of the Mississippi's flow coursing over 130,000 acres of prime farmland and homes of some 200 people. Major Gen. Michael Walsh, president of the Mississippi River Commission and a top officer with the Corps, has said he can't be sure whether he will activate the floodway to reduce pressure on levees and protect surrounding towns amid expected record flooding at the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. Earlier this week, he ordered the Corps to bring barges with explosives and other materials to the area from Memphis, Tenn. On Saturday, Gen. Walsh ordered the barges to be moved from Hickman, Ky., to Wickliffe, Ky., where they will be directly across from Birds Point, Mo. If the general decides to go ahead with the plan, the Corps will set explosives to blow a two-mile-wide hole in the levee at the top of the floodway, which measures 35 miles long and up to 12 miles wide.

edit on 30-4-2011 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat

Wow....it's the first I have heard of this...thanks for the heads up! I'm in Terrytown (gretna) on the westbank....so I THINK I'm ok. I'll be watching this though.

Not a problem. I just can not believe how quiet this is.
You'd think this would be a little more talked about.
I found out this morning only because I went to our local
weather station website to see if it was going to rain
so I can water my garden....

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I know! I never heard a word!
Hey, I want to see what you think about this....check it out whem you can www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

I have no clue what that might be....
Looks like a lightning bold to me.
Maybe a flare of some kind.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Yes,,, but it is in space
......no lightning there...I don't want to derail your thread...thanks for checking it out though!
Do you know of a site where I can get info on the river levels etc?

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Breaking News!

FLOOD WARNING:

All Shelby County residents should take flood precautions NOW and be prepared to leave homes and businesses.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
FLOOD WARNING:

All Shelby County residents should take flood precautions NOW and be prepared to leave homes and businesses.
www.wmctv.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Louisiana is putting sand bags in place to hopefully prevent sand boils. Everyone stay safe and get to higher ground if you can....

www.wafb.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I feel for the people in the path of that spillway (where the water will go if they blow the levee)....but take it from someone who can see what happens when the pressure isn't relieved.

I hope that they corps doesn't wait too long to make a decision. The danger is if they don't blow the levee in the designated area and it then fails somewhere else, you could have a catastrophic result.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Pic of the MS river earlier today, downtown Memphis....
i.imgur.com...

Olive Branch, MS

i.imgur.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Stay safe!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Not sure. I just use our local news site for weather,fishing forecast ect. It's the same place as my link. They might have same river stages

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
here's an idea.

MOVE!

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by inanna1234

Always try
we are very resilient people here in Louisiana going through hurricanes,floods,oil spills,tornados,breached levees,birds falling out the skies ect ect.
But I have a feelin we have not seen anything yet if this goes badly.
This will be a cataclysmic catastrophe of epic proportions.
Not just here in Louisiana but every state it passes through

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join