It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anybody heard of St.John's Wort for depression

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I'm taking Zoloft for mild depression (not suicidal or anything, just feeling really down) and am having all kinds of negative side effects like pretty bad insomnia and an inability to feel certain emotions.

Somebody once mentioned to me about taking St.John's Wort, a herbal supplement, for depression.  I picked some up from walmart today, it has 100 tablets and says 300mg on it. I'm wondering how much I should take, and does it work? I'm pretty thin, I'm 5'9" and 135lbs, so lower doses of medications tend to affect me a lot more than other people.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
SJW is about as useful as eating jelly beans.

Real depression needs to be treated by a real doctor. Please find a better one & seek the right medication. There's no "one size fits all" med for depression. Zoloft isn't for everyone. If it isn't working, you need to try something different.

Do whatever you can to seek out a psychologist or psychiatrist who will work with you, and not just your GP.

Whatever you do, DO NOT go off your Zoloft without asking your doctor how. Going cold turkey off these meds can cause permanent neurological damage.

Best wishes -
edit on 30-4-2011 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
If you're going to take an herbal supplement, please make sure you're current medications won't react with it. Do your research, and ask your doctor if it's safe to add it to your meds. Some medications will react with SJW and some will perpetuate their effects and can potentially be harmful.

I believe in herbal medications and even take a few myself. You just need to make sure you have all the information and know what you're getting into before you just start taking it.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

I have, and it works too. I'll do you one better....try a herbal product called "Happy Camper.' My wife takes it, and believe me it works wonders on depression.
www.vitacost.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I don't know about St. John's Wort, but I did have a psychiatrist tell me about the mood stabilizing effects of Fish Oil. Here is a small WebMD article about it: www.webmd.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir, but have you tried eliminating all junk food, refined carbs, sugar and monosodium glutamate from your diet? I was going through a particularly awful time with depression and anxiety at one point last year, and I did all of the above whilst exercising like a maniac at least 4 times a week and within a month I was a completely different person.

I absolutely refuse to ever take antidepressants, fair enough if you've tried everything and you have absolutely no other option but I genuinely believe that almost all cases of depression and anxiety can be at least improved somewhat, if not completely resolved (as in my case) by changing your diet and getting plenty of exercise.

I can't imagine what it must be like not to be able to feel certain emotions. I find that really creepy, the thought of putting something into my body that controls me that way. Hope you feel a bit more chipper soon!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
My first post on ATS, and I'm glad it will be one which should greatly assist someone, or lots of someones. To me one of the grandest "Secrets" is that depression is a symptom of dehydration. Drink lots of water a day and depression is a thing of the past (wish someone had told that to poor Ernest Hemingway and other famous depression-"prone" people, who seldom drank water). Most of this data is on Watercure.com, and how much to drank daily (lots). The most used words about new entrants in hospital emergency rooms are "push liquids". Anyway, depression is just one of many of the body's ways of asking for water. Why is this secret? Cash!! The great unequalizer! Money in the pockets of pharmos, hospitals, doctors, and the media stations who make money from accepting the advertising dollars from the same. Before this gets too long, and actually I should post a thread on this as well. Best to ya, and good to meet those here.
p.s. whoops, I can't start a new thread until I have twenty posts.
edit on 30-4-2011 by Aleister because: I mentioned starting a new thread, then found out I can't start one until I have 20 posts. So edited to mention that fact.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I had quite severe depression and PTSD a few years ago. All the medicines affected me badly and in fact exacerbated the problem. I quit all the meds cold, without a doctor's assistance -- because the doctor kept giving me stuff that was killing me as a human being and causing suicidal thoughts to run through my head continuously. As the mother of three, that's simply not acceptable. I started meditating more, using Bach Flower Remedies and Lavender essential oil when things were especially tough. I cried when I needed to cry. Eventually it passed. Now I'm certain that I'm well. I took time to really examine the mechanics of my depression and have found ways to catch it before it even bears its teeth anymore.

Take your health and well-being upon yourself to maintain. You must be active in maintaining yourself. It's not for others to do. You are the only one who walks in your shoes. Only you can be in control of it.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
My first post on ATS, and I'm glad it will be one which should greatly assist someone, or lots of someones. To me one of the grandest "Secrets" is that depression is a symptom of dehydration. Drink lots of water a day and depression is a thing of the past (wish someone had told that to poor Ernest Hemingway and other famous depression-"prone" people, who seldom drank water). Most of this data is on Watercure.com, and how much to drank daily (lots). The most used words about new entrants in hospital emergency rooms are "push liquids". Anyway, depression is just one of many of the body's ways of asking for water. Why is this secret? Cash!! The great unequalizer! Money in the pockets of pharmos, hospitals, doctors, and the media stations who make money from accepting the advertising dollars from the same. Before this gets too long, and actually I should post a thread on this as well. Best to ya, and good to meet those here.
p.s. whoops, I can't start a new thread until I have twenty posts.
edit on 30-4-2011 by Aleister because: I mentioned starting a new thread, then found out I can't start one until I have 20 posts. So edited to mention that fact.

Absolutely, completely agree!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I have used St. John's Wort as an herbal tea, and It did help with mild anxiety, but I definitely wouldn't switch from Zoloft to SJW without some sort of medical advice from a professional. You need to consult a herbal practitioner, or your family doctor at least. St John's Wort has been proven to reduce the effectiveness of certain other medicines that you could possibly be on. It can also make you more sensitive to sunlight so use with caution! Good luck with whatever method you choose!

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
SJW has very mild antidepressant properties. However, if you are on Zoloft or other such medications, then I doubt that SJW would be an effective alternative.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by KatieVA
I can't imagine what it must be like not to be able to feel certain emotions. I find that really creepy, the thought of putting something into my body that controls me that way. Hope you feel a bit more chipper soon!

It's very creepy. In situations where I should feel sad, i just feel total apathy. Sometimes, feeling apathy is worse than feeling sad.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Oh this concerns me. I know you are young. SJW will affect your dopomine levels. Your age is a time where your neurotransmitters are all agog. I want you to research carefully these things. I know you are very bright and insightful because I recognize you from the threads. The problem with antidepressants is they can affect your sexual life or future sexual life. Most docs don't discuss this and probably won't with someone your age. If you go online and type around you will find massive boards where people write about their own experiences on antidepressants - basically any meds. You can weigh the pros and cons and maybe see a real person comment on side effects.

You are talking about "flat affect" has anything happened that would contribute to this? A trauma? Are you also in therapy? I cannot recommend therapy enough - but I don't recommend meds, although I am in no position to make claims. Meds alone are seldome the answer. Short term use for depression they may help. Obviously serious mental health issues may really require medication intervention. I am just not sure this is the case with you - but I am not in a position to treat you. I just want you to be aware. You are growing, your brain is growing and will till 24 - the soul and the mind goes through such a journey until then - the use of mind altering medications for one your age unless absolutely necessary concerns me.

I found meds made me worse. I tried to jump out of a moving vehicle on Prozac (this was the 4th med tried) and my docs response was that I up the dose!!!!! This is crazy stuff. I am grown though and no matter what my issues . . . medications have not been a solution for me personally. This is an individual journey however.

Meditation has been the best solution for me. Eating as well as I can. Online support groups (I am a Veteran) and real people support groups. Therapy. Reading. Introspection and surrounding myself with types more prone to healing and interest in healing arts. Recently also the addition of Hot Yoga. I wish you luck young one.

You are smart, deep and thoughtful . . . your above average intellegence probably leads to a bit of rumination.
Your faith which you have shared before is also a path of introspection and deep thinking. You come from a line of "thinkers" - Please take the best care of yourself. Sometimes the sad or dull places are just episodes on our soul journey - and especially so as we are growing. Peace.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I am sure no 2 people have the exact same reason for their depression, and so no one cure will fit all. For what it is worth, yes, I have had success with Saint John's Wort. It is what gets me thru those darkest days of winter the last few years.

I get it in bulk at the health food store and drink it as a tea -- only as needed. Once the days get longer I don't feel the need for it. During those dark days; however, SJW makes the kind of difference for me that only one whose been there can understand.

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
All AD wont treat you the same. If zoloft doesnt work, then try another. Wellbutrin has the lowest risk of side effects I believe.
If you get irritable on an AD, it could be bipolar disorder as opposed to just depression.

Yes, St. Johns Wort is supposed to help.
You can also take L-Tyresine for anxiety, but not together.

posted on May, 4 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yes, St. Johns Wort is supposed to help. You can also take L-Tyresine for anxiety, but not together.

I have both in my "supplies" but am not sure if I have ever taken them together, as in truth I only take things, as needed and not continuously.

What is the risk of taking them together??

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
i was taking SJW for awhile.. my mother + boyfriend love me on the stuff as it calms + quietens me...

i personally hate it.. i agree that it does calm me + quieten me.. but it seems to strip me of my personality.

i once gave it to my 16yo daughter who was going through an extremely hard period in life + it turned her into a gigglily 5yo who was seeing fluffiness + rainbows in everything.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Like many folks, these last few years haven't been the easiest. My job had gotten increasingly stressful so about 2 years ago I walked into CVS pharmacy and they recommended SJW. I was skeptical but optimistic at the same time. I've used it off and on since then(mostly on) depending on family/life/work stress levels and maybe it is just placebo effect but i do believe it helps.

I typically take 1 pill(300mg) twice a day. And yes, lots of water- drink 8 to 16 ounces right when you get up and a glass every hour or so the rest of the day.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by robinthehood

I am not a doctor or any kind of health professional; just a guy who always tries the natural route before accepting any big pharma prescription. I haven't taken a prescription anything in many years.

I noticed you take SJW "off and on" but mostly "on". I would recommend, just as a general rule, that even with natural products it is good practice to try and stretch those "off" moments as long as you can. In other words, if you can do without something, then do without it. It gives your system a "rest" and may help prevent dependencies from developing. Your body/mind will tell you when it needs it or not. Listen to it.

My use of SJW is limited to those deepest, darkest days of winter only. As the days lengthen I find I don't need it anymore; and so I stop taking it.

Good luck in the stress reduction generally. Sometimes a good hard look at your environmental circumstances and making small changes there can go a long way. We sometimes feel that we are stuck in some job or whatever, but there are choices that can sometimes be made if we are willing to take a look, or take the risk.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
You would have to take 500 caplets of St. John's Wort, to equal the amount of the active ingredient that is in one prozac pill. I looked into this once, but it was long ago, and I can't find where I read it.

As for the amount of Zoloft, pick up a little pill slicer. Try a half for a week or so, then half of that, etc. Until you find the right amount, or are weaned off.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join