It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media trying to kill real Hip Hop, real music and kill your mind with rubbish

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by samstone11
I have been in the music industry one way or another for a very, very long time. I realize my opinion will upset some folks, but personally I have met and known so many unbelieveably talented musicans and singers that to even remotely imply that rap or hip hop is music at all is an insult to a real musician. Rap/hip hop are not music and requires no skill whatsoever. This would explain why it is popular, however, because absolutely everyone alive or otherwise has the ability to do it as well as anyone who makes unimaginable dollars from it. Fortunately, those gifted with talent choose to provide the world with melodies and real music that can make a difference.

Forgive the bluntness, but you stated your opinion and I did as requested by listening to and viewing the links. Mine is a common opinion among musicians, but certainly not the ONLY opinion because if there were no appeal, it would never sell. I get that.

I haven't stated an opinion - you've stated an opinion, an incorrect one at that. For someone who works in the music industry I'd have expected you to understand that music has a very technical and specific meaning.

Hip Hop is music, you don't have to like it, but to suggest it's not shows you have no idea what you're talking about. This isn't an issue of taste, it's an issue of basic literacy.

And yes, everyone can rap. But everyone can also learn the guitar, if they were determined, or any other instrument. So I'm failing to see your point.

Ultimately I think you talk hogwash and your inability to understand what music is makes me question your claims to working in the music industry.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
To go one further, if you don't believe the original videos to be music I'd question your sanity.

Again it's funny how actual musicians have outright respect for the others trade, but armchair critics think there's some sort of on-going genre war.

Edit - And to suggest there's a genre making more of a difference or giving more of a message than hip hop is bullsh/t. The only band in recent years that have done anything to get a message out there and change anything were RATM, and their whole style was fused with hip hop.

Find me one song from this year that's not a hip hop song that comes close to the 'Terrorist' or 'Find No Enemy' tracks I posted; I don't think you can do it.
edit on 1-5-2011 by NadaCambia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

I need to admit that I did an exceptionally poor job of expressing myself. While my opinion still stands, I am guilty of pushing my personal beliefs more as fact and not that of personal taste. Yes, I have been in the music industry most of my adult life, and while I have no defense for being insensitive and overly agressive I would like to say this. I have been accused of being a decent musician, but I will also be the first to categorically deny it and I have proof that I am not. What saddens me most about the industry as a whole is that in various recording studios and facilities I have met so many incredibly talented singers and musicians that it borders on crime that they either lack the ambition or that lucky break that could catapult them to the front of the line. My concern with the specific genres being discussed is that I (just my own admittedly slanted opinion) have not heard or seen anything that makes me think "wow, glad I got to hear that". I find myself becoming my father. As a teenager in the 70's he highly disapporoved of the length of my hair, and even more so my choice of lively colors in my clothes. But of all the things I did right or wrong, the greatest disagreement was usually about my choice of music. If it didn't sound like the original Hank Williams, then it was too loud, too hard to understand, or too something or another.

Let me offer this: for me, I will "stick with the one that brung me" and accept that I am showing my age and others have different preferences. Hopefully they will have the opportunity to do a lot of things better than I did and still do wrong, and the fact that I can't come to terms with this particular subject will never have any bearing on who is correct or incorrect. I sincerely want to appreciate it, and maybe some day I will be able to do so.

For now, I would encourage anyone to actively seek out the hardest working lesser knowns or the not at all knowns in whatever choice of music you have and support and cheer them to their best possible outcome.

Best wishes to all.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Hip Hop is real music. Hip Hop to me is bascially audible poetry with beats. And it's great.
What has happened to hip hop in the last 5 years or so isnt so good. The rappers need to be the actual artists not a puppet from behind a producer.

posted on May, 2 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 1kombo

OK. Can I ask you a question? Since I am so unfamiliar with hip hop, does the producer-performer relationship differ from rock music, for example? In most music, it is sort of rare to find a performer with the skills to produce as well as a good producer (sorry that got so redundant). A good producer can make really awful stuff much better than it really is, and of course a bad producer.....well, they ruin careers. So in hip hop, is it more likely that a performer can express him or herself just as well without a producer?

Thanks for the input.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join