It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media trying to kill real Hip Hop, real music and kill your mind with rubbish

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This isn't another thread putting genres against each other, I just feel hip hop as a fan myself is probably the strongest example of media bias. All I ask is for people who hate Hip hop to listen to these songs before and tell me they're not better than the usual rap music garbage served up by MTV and radio.

And if anyone wants to carry on and demonstrate good, well supported artists being blackballed from the mainstream in other genres, please be my guest.

Just for the record, the guy who made that Terrorist track has a good combined view count that probably pushes a hundred million on Youtube. Yet radio and TV will not touch him. I was under the impression tv and radio worked on supply and demand? He can't get on TV but is evidently more popular than most British rappers, despite lack of funding, collabos with other 'established' artists and media bias.

I'd give some examples of rock but i really don't know any lol. Carlos Santana is one of my favourites and he pretty much sold alot of records

edit on 29-4-2011 by NadaCambia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Well there's also Canibus and Immortal Technique.

Oh and yes Carlos Santana is A Mazing lol.
edit on 29-4-2011 by smokeythabear because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
You are under no obligation to listen to the radio or watch MTV. I personally have not watched MTV since the early 90's and stopped listening to pop radio in like the late 80's.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by smokeythabear
Well there's also Canibus and Immortal Technique.

Oh and yes Carlos Santana is A Mazing lol.
edit on 29-4-2011 by smokeythabear because: (no reason given)

Insane Clown Posse

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
That was all rubbish. If you want good hip-hop you need to listen to this because its deep and has an important message.

[edit]
I mean when you see your friend kicking in the front seat AND the back seat, well I think thats a challenge we all face from time to time and deciding which seat to sit in is ... I can't even finish this because of the memory of having to do it myself is overwhelming.
edit on 4/29/2011 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jessejamesxx
Insane Clown Posse

Wasn't the ICP subverted by TimeWarner/MTV and completely mainstreamed?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggyMcBigPants
You are under no obligation to listen to the radio or watch MTV. I personally have not watched MTV since the early 90's and stopped listening to pop radio in like the late 80's.

Of course, but that wasn't my point.

I'm not trying to say this is good music and therefore it should be played. I'm saying it's good music but it's also popular, so why isn't getting radio play.

Take the Lowkey example. If he was rapping about "bitches" and "hoes" with the internet popularity he has, he'd have been all over MSM tv and radio, years ago. Yet he doesn't see tv screens or radio stations, so surely the question must be asked why? In regards to popularity, quality and ability to make money he ticks all the boxes?

Infact there isn't a rapper on British tv or radio who had the popularity Lowkey has, before being promoted by the MSM.

It rings alarm bells, surely. I don't think there's any other conclusion than artists are discriminated against for their content

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
OFWGKTA

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq

Originally posted by jessejamesxx
Insane Clown Posse

Wasn't the ICP subverted by TimeWarner/MTV and completely mainstreamed?

Lol ICP are hugely commercial. Not sure what the above poster means. Unless he's naming a stupid group for the lulz like you with that Friday thing.

Also it's discredited just for the fact ICP were hugely popular a few years ago. I remember when I used to skate that 'Homies' song was on TV all the time

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

Wait where's the immortal tech, Brother Ali, Eyedea, Jedi Mind Tricks,Souls of Michef, Del the funky homosapain, etc??

and this has been discuss at least 100 times on here, but thanks for the new thread

edit on 29-4-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Hip hop is the defination of rubbish. The elitists running entertainment can't get any worse than hip hop for the devolution of humanity.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sara123123

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I have to agree, this music is a lot better than that mainstream music. But just wait until Akala gets signed and his songs will probably be rubbish. Just look at Wiz Khalifa and his song "Black and Yellow" that's just bull and it doesn't show of his skill.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama

Wait where's the immortal tech, Brother Ali, Eyedea, Jedi Mind Tricks,Souls of Michef, Del the funky homosapain, etc??

and this has been discuss at least 100 times on here, but thanks for the new thread

edit on 29-4-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

Jedi Mind Tricks - Death messiah, posted.

Not sure about some of the others, didn't want to post Tech because everybody knows Tech and his political views generally polarize people.

Originally posted by sara123123
Hip hop is the defination of rubbish. The elitists running entertainment can't get any worse than hip hop for the devolution of humanity.

Clearly you don't know much about Hip Hop, the dictionary, humanity or 'definations'

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by sara123123

You know I was about to post that song, but figured 5 videos was enough

The division amongst music fans imo is a sad reflection of society itself. Too many people restricting themselves to individual genres or artists, unwilling to accept the qualities of others.

The irony being if you speak to most talented artists, they have much respect for artists from all genres. Their fans seem to hate each other though.

The Santana. Epicness. Sad, because even he has to sell out and make songs with pop whores to get played. All his best work is nowhere to be seen
edit on 29-4-2011 by NadaCambia because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Just listen.

The Grouch

Aesop Rock

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Some Hip Hop may be rubbish, but there is also rock music which is rubbish bands like "iwrestledabearonce" that is just pure noise and you can't really hear what the lyrics say, whereas with Hip Hop, you can understand what they are saying. I am a fan of all music genres apart from pop music (like Justin Bieber, Britney Spears etc....). Also some record companies, like the one who released Lupe Fiasco's album, they completley ruined his work, if you listen to his early stuff you can see how different it is to his new stuff.
edit on 29-4-2011 by ForeverZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Check out NAS new song featuring Damien Marley -Patience-. Its a nice 1

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

It is about control and controlling the message. A lot of the popular music out there is 'fluff' meaning it's content is rubbish and of little consequence. Artists get sucked into the cycle the record companies want them to: show us the money. When you have these conglomerate companies whose sole function is profit, through all mediums, you end up pandering to the lowest common denominator. That means little intellectual content is put into music because the masses DO NOT want to be forced to think or be challenged. Any band that does not toe that line is either ignored or left behind. Of course there are always a couple exceptions, but they don't always last very long (thing Rage/machine, etc.).

Or I could be completely full of it lol. All I know is that I stopped letting pop radio and MTV dictate what I should think years ago and I have better tastes in music as a result.

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I have been in the music industry one way or another for a very, very long time. I realize my opinion will upset some folks, but personally I have met and known so many unbelieveably talented musicans and singers that to even remotely imply that rap or hip hop is music at all is an insult to a real musician. Rap/hip hop are not music and requires no skill whatsoever. This would explain why it is popular, however, because absolutely everyone alive or otherwise has the ability to do it as well as anyone who makes unimaginable dollars from it. Fortunately, those gifted with talent choose to provide the world with melodies and real music that can make a difference.

Forgive the bluntness, but you stated your opinion and I did as requested by listening to and viewing the links. Mine is a common opinion among musicians, but certainly not the ONLY opinion because if there were no appeal, it would never sell. I get that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join