It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is intrest too high?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
A friend of mines mother generated $20k in dept from Ontario Works from working; However she is on disability and hasnt worked in over 10 years she was a hair dresser and her husband gets bombed for the money if he trys to work they force him to give them 55% of the paycheque this is rediculus, I know alot of people who just because they got money from OW and it had intrest or a loan from a bank for a car or house that you think you can pay off in 20 years but because of intrest it ends up being 40 like my Great-Grandmother. Anyone else have any imput?

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Is she forced to pay off the money she received from social services because she was working while receiving it? If so, I can sort of understand why, but i doubt it, since you said she is disabled and unable to work. Since when do you pay back welfare money?? I never really heard of anyone being in that situation before, that's weird.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Solsthime331

She woked for a while as a hair dresser and had to go on disability, that wasnt paying off enough for her, her husband and her son so she applied for OW in the middle of that something happened and she owes OW 20K for false acceptance of the cheques when she was on Disability im thinking that they got the two cheques mixed up or they thought she was still workign while collecting disability. But its more of a intrest thing, She sill has 10k owed of it and shes payed 12k already, 2 grand intrest in the past 10 years is a little drastic.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
That is criminal. There is no difference between that and getting robbed.

Second line same as the first.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JerryB08

Plus in ontario you cant have OW and be working at the same time anda OW pays more than if his dad were to work because of the 55% being taken off thats like working 2 weeks and being payed for 1... over 1/2 your paycheque is BS.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solsthime331

She woked for a while as a hair dresser and had to go on disability, that wasnt paying off enough for her, her husband and her son so she applied for OW in the middle of that something happened and she owes OW 20K for false acceptance of the cheques when she was on Disability im thinking that they got the two cheques mixed up or they thought she was still workign while collecting disability. But its more of a intrest thing, She sill has 10k owed of it and shes payed 12k already, 2 grand intrest in the past 10 years is a little drastic.

Use a loan calculator and figure it ouit. $2K in 10 years and you think that is HIGH???? That is incredibly low. I would guess the interest rate over the entire loan is less than 3%. You don't give the exact figures, so I did a quick calculation on what I know out of your post. A $20,000 loan over 20 years gives you a monthly payment of $110.92, and at an annual interest rate of 3% the total paid out would be $26,620, or a little over $6,000 in interest over the life of the loan.

If you have the exact figures you could do the math on a loan calculator like this one. Of course, the exact terms must be on the paperowrk, which you could also verify.

In terms of the loan itself, there's nothing criminal here at all. There may be something in the rest of the story, of course.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

My point is that they are having to pay an exta Ammount when they barely have the money to hand out, They get $1000 in total every month, $750 for rent, + the $125 for the paying back thats $75 for food for 3 people over a month...i now realise i posted the name of this post wrong it should have been "is intrest BS?"

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I thought you can be on social assistance and work at the same time provided the income you're generating is still low and are unable be financially stable. She receives about 1,000 a month from disability checks that seems pretty low to survive on, and she would need extra assistance on top of that for sure. As far as the interest goes on what she owes, I think it's BS. I find interest to be the most evilest thing brought to the business world. the daily interest on my student loans is over 35 dollars a month. almost over a quarter of my monthly payments for it goes towards the interest.

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by blackhawk420

exactly and they do have a roomate that helps with rent but without paul they wouldnt be able to survive! this stuff is a little too much in my opinion

posted on Apr, 29 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solsthime331

But its more of a intrest thing, She sill has 10k owed of it and shes payed 12k already, 2 grand intrest in the past 10 years is a little drastic.

2 grand interest on 20k over 10 years? That's less than 1% per year!!

You seriously think that is too high???

I'm currently paying 6.7% on my house.
edit on 29-4-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Are you on disability and are the only one bringing in money to your house and trying to feed 3 people?

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Is there a reason the husband cannot work?
Is the child old enough to work at Micky D's on the weekend?

I feel there is something to the story you are not telling us.

From what little you have told us so far the family seems like a welfare family.

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

No - that's why I'm paying a real interest rate and not a really, really low one.

I have no problem with the interest rate being low - I have a problem with the original poster considering it high!!

posted on May, 3 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

$15 an hour in Kingston is Chumpchange...Minimum wage witch is 75% of this stupid city is minimum wage or jobs at the colages or a Trade. Im saying its BS that intrest should even be on things like OSAP And stuff.

top topics

join