It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I get on ATS and there it is

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
So the other day I was searching for a music product called a TASCAM and it took me 15 minutes to find the exact one. Its specific, 4 knobs and grey. Today, I get onto ATS and

THERE IT WAS.

Staring at me from a black little advertisement box.

It made me so damn mad. I know that many websites keep tabs on your IP and so on and so forth and I understand that ATS has to have advertisements, but damn.

It kinda hit me how much advertisements have gotten to the point of IN YOUR FACE propaganda. And all the stores with TV's right under the register as you check out and its so ridiculous. I can just see the DMV having TV's lining the waiting line....but then that would be too much to ask I guess.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
NoScript is your friend.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I think advertising is only going to get worse. Have you ever seen "The Minority Report". I think that is possible how they have it in that movie. How your walking in the mall or in the subway or something and they have eye scanners that get your name and everything and greet you. "Hello (John Smith) how would you like a great tasting strawberry yogurt" or whatever. It's crazy man your right.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
There is no way around advertising my friend, consumer economy controls this country. The fact that you even go to a store to get food to eat, makes you victim to the evils of advertising. lol.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
There are a lot of good add-ons/ plugins out there try a few out. As mentioned above NOscript is a good one.

You can test your browser config here>> browserspy.dk...

Hope this helps.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Stringycheeseman

I know what you mean, i also got a few advertisements that are exclusive to my city , they know our locations too

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
If advertising can do it, what can the government do.

Track your every key stroke mmmhmm.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It's pretty simple really, and it has nothing to do with your stored cookies etc either. While disallowing scripts to run can keep you from having to look at them over and over, it still comes down to your IP getting logged by an ad server.

The reason I know this, is because a couple years ago, my ISP went down for a few days, so I "borrowed" my neighbors wireless. I gave myself an IP, used my preferred DNS and went about getting my internet fix.

First I checked out the weather on intellicast, and visited a few other sites that had ads all over them. (On that comp, I only had a Windows OS installed and was using IE7, not that there's any relevance there.) I also had a freshly cleared cache.

On each and every site I visited, the ads getting pumped to my browser were for DUI attorneys! At least 6 of the sites in a row had the same targeted advertising. Yes, my neighbor had gotten a DUI and was looking for affordable representation.

While I never did any kind of searching for such a service, my neighbor did. Since his IP remained the same, any script calling up an ad from that particular advertising service, got served targeted spam from subset X.. DUI attorneys.

*Gets on neighbors wireless and does a search for "butt-less chaps"

edit on 24-4-2011 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by drblair

carefull with that partner! ad blockers are against ats terms and conditions. don't want ya gettin banned.

edit on 24-4-2011 by optimus primal because: cause there's a difference between ad and add

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I love the pop up ads I get here,

Im in Malaysia and anytime I go to a TV or Movie watching site I always get MSN pop ups with scantily clad white girls saying they live just around the corner in Shah Alam or Ampang and asking if I wanna come over.
Or then theres the one where They just broke up with their BFs and their lonely.
But my favourite are the ones were the 20 year old girl asks me if we used to date in Highschool!!!!! I hope not as she would have been about 5!!!!

So yeah they get ur location, maybe get what you like (I do like scantily clad women) but at this stage they havent got the finer things like ur age but Im guessing its just a matter of time

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur
NoScript is your friend.

NoScript and AdBlock are a violation of TAC. This site is provided free of charge....don't screw them on the advertising. Just suck it up and deal with it, or go to another site (which will have ads....it IS a business afterall).

RE: the search...that is Google Analytics for you.

top topics

join