It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Las Vegas Cop Beats Man For Videotaping

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This was very wrong but with police you always need to be aware that they might not respect your rights. and that by saying 'it is within my rights to do xxx' usually pisses them of as they see it as you trying to control the situation. He shouldnt have to have stopped filming, but the smart thing would be to at least pretend to comply and leave the camera rolling not pointing right at him.

People seem to think that just by being able to sate their rights will protect them from the police who are often very corrupt and often get away being so. Never assume this, cooperate totally unless you feel they are being particularly unreasonable. They are trained to be suspicious of non compliance, they arnt all 'outside the box' thinkers they conform to the norm and ften dont think as such as to why someone would be interested in their rights.

Basically they are generally simple people so dont treat them like you're smarter than them. If you tauntsome big lump down the pub about how much smarter you are than him he probably will smash yer face in wont he?

edit on 02/02/1987 by clintdelicious because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

When the person filming was asked "Do you live here," I was under the impression that the policeman was asking whether the person filming owned the property that the police were entering; it was not clearly stated that the policeman was asking the person filming whether he was doing so on his own property. I think that was a cause of confusion on the part of the person filming, and why he changed "his story."

No matter. The policeman acted far beyond his authority. The b****** and the city and the sheriff of Clark County should be tossed from office.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Sorry that you're buying into the fear.

Hide now,, little bunny. They're comming for you, little bunny. Hide!

"So this is how freedom dies... To thunderous applause."
- Padme, Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by fever

No im just saying be smart dont let them know that you know how they think and you will win in the end with these people. My point is dont be stupid and think mere words will protect you from such a corrupt entity as the police. Lie and bullsh*t your way out of their custody coz they can only prove certain information about you. If they ask you where you're from say somewhere that you used to lived for example, its not a lie as you can claim thats where you consider youself from and then they dont have your number.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What shocks me most about is that ... he was using a $3500 camera!

LOL! Get out of town !

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I like the movie reservoir dogs, especially the scene with Michael Madsen dancing around the tortured cop, i think i need some Madsen medicine after watching this.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
if your gonna act like a tough guy, crying like a beached whale isn't going to help your reputation.

if that's true, that the officer was involved in 2 fatal shootings he's lucky to be alive.

when all your politicians are massive liars and hypocrites, what do you expect from the police. i wonder what hillary clintons reaction to this would be.

i can answer that, a smug look of defiance and ignorance.

isn't america bombing the sh-t out of libya to protect civilians from the same police and military brutality and abuse of power.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

I have no idea WTF point you are trying to make here.....

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
One day one of these cops is going to pull this in the wrong neighborhood and it's going to get ugly. There is way to much distrust and civil unrest to be pushing it like that.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
This really infuriates me with the police, and I've seen way too many videos/heard too many stories of police taking matters completely out of hand... my own brother is in prison until August because of cops like this, but I'm wondering (if anybody knows) what one should do in a situation like this? Is there even anything you immediately CAN do besides let the cop beat you to a pulp then sue him later? And I saw a few posts slandering the neighbors for not coming to help the poor guy, but seriously what could they have done?

Anything?

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Total abuse of his authority. The officer must had something to hide if he was that upset with this guy video recording him. The guy didn't deserve to be beat like that! You can tell the way the cop kept on saying how he would lay a lot of hurt on him. Some of these officers think just because they have a badge, justifies doing what ever they want to people. To justify it, he starts talking about bogus charges against this guy.

When cities can place video cameras on street corners and at intersections, yet Joe public can't video tape anything in public, you can rest assured our freedoms are being taken away.

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by nobuhdy
This really infuriates me with the police, and I've seen way too many videos/heard too many stories of police taking matters completely out of hand... my own brother is in prison until August because of cops like this, but I'm wondering (if anybody knows) what one should do in a situation like this? Is there even anything you immediately CAN do besides let the cop beat you to a pulp then sue him later? And I saw a few posts slandering the neighbors for not coming to help the poor guy, but seriously what could they have done?

Anything?

First, i want to say that after watching this video i am truly sickened at the out of control behavior of the cop (and cops in general).

Second, i want to say that i loathe cops. Never had a decent encounter, even when i was not on the suspicious or "criminal" end. In fact, even the time or two i have called on them, they are condescending pricks concerned with their ego and image. There are a variety of reasons for this, to which previous posts of mine will attest.

And while i think--believe--KNOW--that a cop has NO right to come onto a person's private property--without justifiable cause--and assault him for simply video taping something involving police that is happening across the street--which the cops has NO legal right to do (private property) but simply did not want the video evidence, but because of ego and erroneous perceived authority regardless of circumstance, the question put forth is what could he (the citizen) have done?

Reiterating that the cop has no right (even if he is taught and believes that what he perceives as "obstruction" justifies whatever action he chooses to take under the false guise of "law") to come onto private property, what the dude could have done is, instead of standing on his law/driveway/whatever, is walk back into his house and shut and lock the door (and then film out of the window). Then, the cop would HAVE to get a warrant to enter, because he can't burst through the door simple because of obstruction. They *think* they can legally cross the threshold to your property to prevent a crime *obstruction*, because there is no clear barrier, but to actually enter a closed residence and claim *obstruction?*

The really better watch out.

And this video is a a wake up call to everyone.

Dude stood his ground, was in the right, and eventually prevailed, if you can call it that.

Anecdote/aside:

Once a plane went down, caught in a tree next to power lines, about 2-3 houses down from my father. The whole street was block off. My father and i were standing at the end of our driveway, on our property, and a cop came up, authoritatively saying "Sir, get back in your residence." We were ON our property, but he was trying to make us go in our house. My father simply said something to the effect of, "I'm on my own property, you can't make me go back inside." The cop didn;t say anything and left because he legally couldn't do anything.

And yes the guy in the video did do that, and the cop crossed the line..Maybe dude should have lashed out at the cop and called it self defense...

Or get beaten and then take it to the corrupt courts (when he did get his charges dropped because the cop broke the law under perceived authoritative cockiness)...

Best to go indoors, continue filming, and dare that cop to enter residence w/o a warrant and REAL cause.

This video make me VERY angry. You come onto MY property and assault ME when i am not doing anything illegal or wrong, regardless of what you think because of YOUR ego????

I'd hire the best lawyer in the state--the country--and i would hurricane their parade, jack.

posted on Apr, 24 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nobuhdy

The only thing you can do is comply and state your rights in a way that doesnt make the officer feel like you think you are smarter than him. This basically got out of hand coz the cop thought that the guy was acting like 'I knoiw my rights you have no right to tell me what to do im not doing anything wrong' and the cops response was 'F you I can do whatever I want to you and if you arnt aware of tha im guna make you aware of it right now'.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
In this case the cop screwed up royally.
Even if Mr Crooks was not on his own property the officer cannot simply decide to trespass him without the property owners consent. Mr. Crooks is supposedly suing the police department for $500K, and hopefully he should win. Officer Colling should have his records reviewed, considering that he has been in two fatal shootings in under five years of service. He is obviously an officer that incites these incidents in order to abuse his authority, and he should be criminally cited with aggravated battery for this incident. I know many officers, some with over 20 years in service, and not a single one of them has ever been involved in a fatal shooting.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I posted this on the other thread on this topic, and as Defcon5 stated to contribute to the original thread I'll post it here as well.

I'm surprised the cop didn't take the tape or memory card out of the camera. Surprising he left the evidence of what he did. That or he's so used to getting away with it that he didn't think anything of it.

This cop will do this to the wrong person one day and he'll lose his life for it.

Let him come work for our cops here.
He'll only do something like that once around here. After that he'll never be seen again, or he won't be physically able to be a cop anymore. The local cops here may be corrupt but they sure as hell don't do things like this to anyone around here. They know better. They're too scared of what will happen to them and rightfully so. The good ole boys around here don't take it. They beat one of them with his own gun so bad that he's now on permanent disability. Why? Because the cop tried his holier than thou crap. The only time you see any of the cops here is when they're on duty. You don't see them in any of the stores shopping, and you sure as hell don't see them in any of the bars. The chief got tired of his officers getting the hell beat out of them( hard to police the area when all your cops are injured) and banned them from going to any bars around here except one and it's a private club. The funniest thing to ever see is the cops show up to a bar fight and all the fighters quit beating on each other and start beating up the cops. I still crack up when I think of the one that kept trying to get out the door but kept getting drug back into the bar. The one they found hogtied and locked in the backseat of his patrol car was another funny one but I didn't get to see that. He got fired because whoever did it took his utility belt, gun and all.

My wife is the bartender at the private club and you wouldn't believe some of the stories she's told me about the things the cops and government officials do in there, or out in the parking lot. We've saved the pictures she's taken while working just in case we ever need some blackmail.

posted on Apr, 26 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by HenryPatrick
because cops in vegas shoot to kill first and ask questions later...citizens are gunned down constantly out here...

Perhaps the citizens of Vegas should start returning the favor.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Simon_Boudreaux

I love it!
Now that's what I call policing your own. Maybe your PD can do an exchange program with LVPD and teach them some manners.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by survivalstation

We love it when cops come to our force from other departments they got fired from, or straight from the academy and think they can act like the cop in this video and others that we've all seen. They soon learn otherwise. Our McDonald's holds on to employees better than the city and county departments here. We had one that came here from the Jefferson county sheriff's department that was fired for being abusive and constantly having complaints filed against him. There were also rumors that he would pull teenage girls over and get them to give him "special favors" to get out of bogus tickets.
He lasted less than a week here.

We learned a long time ago that with the corruption in this town nothing would be done unless we did it ourselves. We try to do the same to the government officials here but it's a bit hard when they won't show up to the city meetings. We let them have it anytime they do show up.

Now, If more communities showed the cops that there are consequences to their actions we may not continue to see videos like these.. It's an easy thing to say being in a town of about 3500 but if we can do it the bigger towns and cities can do the same.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
I know many officers, some with over 20 years in service, and not a single one of them has ever been involved in a fatal shooting.

The first time I moved to this town we had an officer that actually still walked his beat.I couldn't tell you how many times he sat on our porch with us having a glass of tea and shooting the breeze with us. Of course that was 19 years ago and he retired a few years after that. He was a career cop and it was the only job he had as an adult. Like the officers you know he had never fired his sidearm while on duty. I can honestly say that man was the last good cop we had in this town.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join