It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phone Survival Tips (Keeping your information safe.)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I worked in multiple platform Cell phone rebuild and repair for many years. Anyone with a copy of Pheonix can look at your Nokia phone Any phone with windows on it can run Pheonix. The same goes for other phone manufacturers.

These diagnostics and platform upgrade programs have been around as long as phones the difference is that not just the police but anyone with bluetooth or wifi capabilities and access to one of these platforms can hack your phone always use a 13 digit password where possible and Activate data encryption.

Do not:
1.Store passwords to accounts.

2.Store sensitive photos I can't count the amount of phones that came in for cracked screens that when repaired and getting tested had "home movies on them"

3.Do not do illegal things with your phone. (or in general) Just because you have not evolved with technology does not mean many others have not. Ignorance is not going to protect you from getting your accounts bitch slapped with an amatuer blue-tooth hack so always deactivate your blue-tooth GPS and wifi when not in use. Don't Be lazy!

4. Do Keep your camera lens shutter closed or have a convenient piece of electrical tape that you can put over it when not in use. This also applies for the microphone hole. Your microphone can be opened remotely and your conversations listened in on. This is real this happens. There are many stalker apps available.

5.Be aware of an app that can send messages from your number. This means putting your mobile number on facebook means that another can use this app to send fraudulent messages in your name. Be aware the tech exists, Many people use it and I have seen it used on customers phones.

6. I would say don't get an I phone because of all the spyware on them but I m not sure people are ready to deal with that yet. I believe Itunes is a form of spyware. It reports back your database and its information.

I hope this is helpful. If anyone else wants to give heads up on Cell phone safety tips Ie apps please share.

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Thx for the helpful tips...

Regarding iPhone, do you think just powering it down, the microphone will be disabled as well? I've always been concerned about that with having an internal battery, where other smart phones you can remove the battery and feel safe...

Also, have any suggestions on a pre-paid phone which would be alot more "safe" privacy wise

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

In Australia they require your drivers license now by law to register a prepaid so its no more private than an account.
Cell phones can be triangulated by pinging them to closest tower so its not like the movies where you need to be on a call to be tracked. Movie writers just are not on top of the tech.
Understand with some phones there is a function that allows them to be switched on this was created with the excuse that it is for the alarm in case the phone was powered off but any decent hackers app can highjack that function to switch your phone on.

I remember we had to have the Customer service and freight staff remove the batteries from all the phones when they would receive because in the morning we would be accosted by a mirad of annoying alarms in the morning ("self recorded ones being the most annoying") This auto power up function can be used to circumvent you switching it off if the hackers app is already installed on the phone . Just be aware it exists no need to take your battery out unless you absolutely must have privacy.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by morder1
Thx for the helpful tips...

Regarding iPhone, do you think just powering it down, the microphone will be disabled as well? I've always been concerned about that with having an internal battery, where other smart phones you can remove the battery and feel safe...

Also, have any suggestions on a pre-paid phone which would be alot more "safe" privacy wise

Look for Tracphone and Net 10 by TracPhone No need for an address or a second phone line to activate, Net 10 has rollover minutes, both Trac and Net10 have text and web.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I wondered if touch screens are able to take fingerprint data to further build the existing Matrix/sims reality....

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
I wondered if touch screens are able to take fingerprint data to further build the existing Matrix/sims reality....

Why not!

You have a fingerprint swipe on some new laptops, its is just a matter of time for them to add it to touch screens and market it as a Password Tool. I think they would tell you about it since it would make a good selling point.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
As long as your iphone is not jailbroken, and you encrypt your back up with itunes, keep your bluetooth off and gps off, its one of the safest phones on the market. Based on the very nature of its operating system, there is no spyware that works with a non jailbroken iphone.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

How much does this apply to an Ipod touch?

top topics

join