It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water leaks found at Onagawa plant after quake: Tohoku

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
ca.news.yahoo.com...

The article is short, but it says there are water leakages from the pools of spent rods, and that radioactivity levels are "stable"... I have a hard time believing it. Can anyone confirm this would not be radioactive?

...but there has been no change in radiation levels outside the plant...

Unless the leakage was there from the beginning but now they can't hide it after today's quake?

This is going beyond tragedy...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
ca.news.yahoo.com...

The article is short, but it says there are water leakages from the pools of spent rods, and that radioactivity levels are "stable"... I have a hard time believing it. Can anyone confirm this would not be radioactive?

...but there has been no change in radiation levels outside the plant...

Unless the leakage was there from the beginning but now they can't hide it after today's quake?

This is going beyond tragedy...

Hmm... You know.. I could SWEAR I remember reading them saying exactly the SAME thing when Fukushima started to go, too.

Look where THAT'S gotten us.

I don't believe a single word of it.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
www.blackcatsystems.com...

Seeing a reading of 1280 CPM in New York City. This is a real-time geiger counter reading...which of course may be a malfunction. However, it is strange and the first time I've seen this on this map. Not sure what's going on if anything.

I'm not a member and could not start a thread, so I thought I would add this here....
edit on 7-4-2011 by redstripe1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

You don't believe it leaks or that it is not radioactive?

I have a hard time believing what TEPCO says, seeing they have been lying since before Japan's catastrophe...

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by redstripe1229

Looks like the counter is on the Southern tip of Manhattan. Any one heard anything?

What is suspicious is that there is no fluctuation with the reading over the last 15 minutes. Usually these things fluctuate somewhat. Still strange though.

radiationnetwork.com is not picking up anything nearby insofar as I can tell.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I'd be a bit careful from readings from blackcat. Their site was showing high readings in Bakersfield a couple days after the first eq that weren't substantiated elsewhere.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by notsofunnyguy

I'd be a bit careful from readings from blackcat. Their site was showing high readings in Bakersfield a couple days after the first eq that weren't substantiated elsewhere.

Exactly. I'm not saying it's substantiated, and it lacks some credibility because it has not fluctuated in an hour by 1 CPM, whereas all the others around it have. I call BS as well.

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
"We detected a small rise in radiation levels inside the reactor buildings, and are trying to find the locations of the leaks," a Tohoku Electric official said. "We see no change in radiation levels outside the reactor buildings."

Hmmm, halfway down that article I found the quote above...great, no rise detected outside, but these reactors that have been in cold shutdown since Mar. 11 are leaking something inside...............

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by RoyalBlue

Hmmm, halfway down that article I found the quote above...great, no rise detected outside, but these reactors that have been in cold shutdown since Mar. 11 are leaking something inside...............

It's part of the redefinition of reality we now see taking place. First, radiation is good, then radiation is smart enough to not go out and expose itself to itself?!?...

This is all so S****Y!

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This is the same plant that was mentioned a while back with higher than usual readings, 'they' eventually blamed it on wind blowing radiation cloud from Fukushima.

However there is also this-
"Radiation is now 400 times normal level at Onagawa nuke plant and reports of a fire breaking out in the turbine section of the plant has shut down the plant's cooling systems. This makes the prospect of another region in Japan having reactor meltdowns and/or explosions. "

posted on ATS as of March 13th

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by UltraMind
This is the same plant that was mentioned a while back with higher than usual readings, 'they' eventually blamed it on wind blowing radiation cloud from Fukushima.

However there is also this-
"Radiation is now 400 times normal level at Onagawa nuke plant and reports of a fire breaking out in the turbine section of the plant has shut down the plant's cooling systems. This makes the prospect of another region in Japan having reactor meltdowns and/or explosions. "

posted on ATS as of March 13th

Great find! I had forgotten (or didn't hear) there were problems at this plant, before this latest bit of news. That makes me even more skeptical, too, this could be a fuku scenerio (#2)...

edit on 8-4-2011 by RoyalBlue because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Was this before the latest quakes and if so what is the latest info on the leaks? TY

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The IAEA said off-site power was lost at some other nuclear facilities in the country after Thursday evening’s quake, and that emergency power supply was operating.

A cooling system at the Higashidori nuclear power plant in Higashidorimura, Aomori Prefecture, stopped temporarily after a powerful aftershock struck northeastern Japan on Thursday night, plant operator Tohoku Electric Power Co. said Friday.

Onagawa Nuclear Plant Radioactive Water Leak Story - Update

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Holy Crap guys.

This just keeps getting worse all the time.

Higashidori power plant is at the very northern tip of Honshu island. I hope to God they can get that coolant system running ASAP.

When a nuclear power plant loses coolant capability it is usually classified as a Level 3 accident.

So there you go, Higashidori level 3.

Now, Onagawa is having a leak from the spent fuel pool eh?
Hmmm. They already had a turbine fire there back during the original quake events.

So basically Onagawa is barely holding on. It's all very disturbing.

If there is a leak in the spent fuel pool, I wonder what level disaster this is classified as. Probably level 2 or 3 most likely considering the implications.

So basically we have Higashidori and Onagawa teetering around the level 3 disaster range now.

And who even knows what the hell is actually going on at Fukushima 2 station. And who even knows what the hells going on at Rokkasho reprocessing plant. And who even knows what the hells going on at Tokai power station.

I am sure there are a few others I am unaware of as well that have been kept in the dark.

That's all messed up man. It's friggen ridiculous it really is.....

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Was this before the latest quakes and if so what is the latest info on the leaks? TY

No this was from the quake last night.

It happened within the last 24-30 hour period.

Yikes huh???

posted on Apr, 8 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
When I posted this, last night, it was not yet an hour old, as a news...

It is mind boggling as a situation... I think it can be safely said that sooner than later, Earth will have lost Japan...

Muzzleflash... I had no idea about all those other reactors... Yikes indeed!

I'm simply speechless about this situation...

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
People FLAG THIS THREAD.

Watch this RT news release about it. This happened in this last 36hours!!!

I know this isn't the news anyone wants.
But it's the news we are getting....

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I shall post information about Onagawa Nuclear Plant so that people will become more informed about what we are dealing with here.
Onagawa Plant Wiki

There are 3 reactors at Onagawa. All 3 are BWR.

Unit 1 has been shut down since 2006.
It is unclear as to if this facility has anything in it at all. Spent fuel? It's totally unknown.

These guys aren't sharing much info.

Unit 2
May 2006 it was confirmed that a pipe was leaking due to debris damage.
June 7, 2006 Difficulties with pressure control prompted further inspections.
July 7, 2006 METI and the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency determined that the plant's performance was not satisfactory.

Unit 3 July 7, 2006 Due to pipe integrity concerns the reactor was shut down.
November 25, 2006 Following repairs the reactor was restarted.
March 11, 2011 2011 Tōhoku earthquake damaged the turbines after a fire broke out and was shut down.

The three units remain in cold shutdown since the earthquake of 11 March. Two hundred people who lost their homes to the tsunami took refuge in the plant.[9] The April 7th aftershock damaged 2 of the 3 external power lines to the plant but cooling was maintained through the third line.

It appears that all 3 reactors were shut down prior to last night's quake. That doesn't really mean anything though, as you cannot "turn off" nuclear material. You can cool it down or let it heat up (apparently??).

So "IF" things are going really bad at Onagawa, the good news is that all of the material was cold. This gives relief crews time to get in there and keep the things cooled down. This may be a blessing and give us a chance to avert disaster (crosses fingers!).

If I get any of the facts wrong please correct me. That will bump the thread. This news needs to be spread.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Where is Onagawa?

- On the East Coast of Honshu Island, a bit north of Fukushima.

What are the geographic coordinates?

-38°24′04″N 141°29′59″E

When was it commissioned ?

-June 1st 1984

Who operates the plant there?

-Tohoku EPCo not TokyoEPCo (Corrected a mistake)

Any funny facts about it?

- Yes a few.

It was the most quickly constructed nuclear power plant in the world.

The Onagawa-3 unit was used as a prototype for the Higashidori Nuclear Power Plant.

Are there any photos of the facility or maps where I can see this in more detail?

- Yes from the Wiki link, Here
edit on 9-4-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Hey thanks very much for your contribution! I doubt we would know of this without you!

You are right about the not turning on or off the reactors. The spent rods take a whole friggin' year to cool down... And that's under optimal procedures!

Can you believe it? So if all three systems are also running on only one power line, they better hurry to put new ones so it doesn't overload?

I prey they have more success on plugging their leaks than at Fukushima... Poor Japan, and the world, doesn't need this.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join