It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pres Obama Updates The Country On Looming Government Shutdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Obama cant even describe the economy we live in these days... hah wow...

Donno about anyone else, but that "letter" about the guy not getting his tax money sounds like some total bull#, I mean really? You cant do your taxes on time, yet can send a letter to obama about it? lol whatever

If you go to the comments on this video(just posted 8 minutes from this posting)... its nothing but people hoping it shuts down, calling obama out...

What does everyone else think about the shutdown?

Personally I say let it shut down, they caused the problem, they wont give up any real spending, like military spending, or their own paychecks

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

Couple points on this.

1) There was no letter sent to Obama...it was a interview done on the news about the guy who is depending on his tax refund.

2) This is all political theater. If they let it shutdown, it will be for over the weekend when it doesn't matter. Then both sides can claim they held their ground until the end, and both sides will claim they were forced to compromise. That is what I think will happen.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I think it's ridiculous. While these politicians are bickering, they are messing with people's livelihoods. Many people work for the government and government agencies. Not just the military, which from what I read, only those in combat zones will be paid, the rest will have to do without, yet still come to work.
Many of these government agencies that are supposed to shut down have not released guidance. For example, the VA doesn't know what's going to happen. They assume that certain programs will be paid and so will their employees, but they don't know for sure. A lot of other agencies are in the same boat.
If this lasts for more than a month or two, theirs going to be millions of angry active and reserve military, veterans, and other civil service employees, in addition to those receiving federal loans for school/homes or assistance. That can't be good for the economy, nor for the stability of the country.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by morder1

2) This is all political theater. .

Political theater indeed, but at least we're hitting the climax now!

This is the "good part" of the whole show, you can tell by how nervous Barry was acting up there that things are bad.

This is just a start of many more financial problems to come.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

Oh no.

The eugenicists have it wrong.

Darwin had it wrong.

Money is a lie.

What else is knew.

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Can't Agree on a 61 Billion Cut in the Budget , a Measly 2 PERCENT . This is ALL on Obama and the Dems Now , the MAJORITY of the American People Want more than that , and their Displeasure with the President will Now rear it's Ugly Head in the Next Election .

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Good. let government shut down..not like their doing anything good for us tax paying law abiding citizens anyways.
cant think of anything else thier good for to be honest, other than rasiign our taxes, who gets a salary increase, and sending our money to freign nations, instead of investing it in us here at home. screw em.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
My question is, if there is going to be a shut-down and 800,000 "NON-ESSENTIAL" people are going to be laid off, then why have them? If they are not essential, why hire them?
Link to the numbers
services.inquirer.net...

The fact is, the budget is 1.3 trillion dollars. Both republicans and democrats are soiling themselves over a tiny fraction of it.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

Can you even begin to imagine, the implications, of an extended government shutdown. There goes the infrastructure. Every person in America would be pull'in wire for scrap. Absolute pandamonium.

edit on 6-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-4-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by raiders247

If people haven't gotten that politics is a farce by now they haven't been paying attention. I for one hope that it shuts down and stays down long enough for people to feel it. I of course would feel bad for the people negatively affected but the only way that people are going to stand up for themselves and say enough is enough and demand real change like we were promised in 2008 is if they become uncomfortable first. Things are coming to a head for sure it's just a matter of how ugly it has to get to push people into action. Right now just feels like that sneeze that's been almost but not quite for the past 10 minutes.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Can't Agree on a 61 Billion Cut in the Budget , a Measly 2 PERCENT . This is ALL on Obama and the Dems Now , the MAJORITY of the American People Want more than that , and their Displeasure with the President will Now rear it's Ugly Head in the Next Election .

The Dems control the Senate and the Oval Office...they are not the ones who need to compromise. They are in the position of power, not the republicans...to expect them to compromise isn't logical.

The Republicans should be compromising to get their "musts" into the budget and forget about their wishlist that they know will never fly. They should be thankful that Obama and the Dems are even willing to let them get any of their cuts in there...they already have and then they move the goal posts.

It is now on the shoulders of the republicans to make this work. And you can tell this by listening to all the conservative talking heads talking about Obama and the Dems should of passed a budget last year...you don't hear them talking about that they should be working with republicans now...because they fully know that they already have.

If the republicans don't do this, I don't care how many think the backlash will be on Obama...I don't see it that way. But we shall see.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

Well the economy is only gonna get worse especially as oil will keep on rising till owning a full 5 gallon gas can will be a luxury, Saudi Arabia has already reached peak oil output and what happens when you reach the peak, oil output drops, prices rise at the pumps to offset the drop in production. Since the whole world economy revolves around oil and oil base products everything else will rise along with oil prices. Were pretty much all screwed because people and governments have over exploited the usefulness of oil. It is literally a main ingredient in just about every single object that we own. Enjoy the ride because it'll be a bumpy road that were traveling down.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Oh it is going to happen , what a perfect way to drive the nation to it's knee's .The perfect divide and conquer , to put the public supporters of these parties at each others throats .2 or 3 day's of shut down and neighbour will turn against neighbour .I like the new white as a sheet ,victim ,good guy theatre he had going on there .Get your money out of the banks and somewhere safe .Be prepared .Be safe .

JT now ???? guess it worked once with Joe the plumber

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I have a plan ! As soon as they walk away and go home. All the members of ATS will move past the one guard at the door, when a distraction is created. Skeptic and Springer will be voted in to the presidency by the new House, Congress, and Senate all made up of........ US. The most peaceful coupe de tat in history.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
DOes anyone know which version of the budget they are concidering at this point, the only one i have been able to find is this one

Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011

seems to me that 62 billion shouldnt be a problem if this is what they are proposing
so it makes me wonder what out of all of this is effected and why do they have to make such a deal over it?

it almost makes me think there is something else going on behind those closed doors, something that has nothing to do with 62B$

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

Heck, even if they gave up a small percentage of the black budget they could avoid a shutdown. But that'll never happen.

new topics

top topics

join