It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Most of us WANT to work past 65': Astonishing claim by IDS as he unveils overhaul which could pus

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

The English don't take to the streets in the Greek fashion. They have a wee tantrum, break a window or two, then do what they're told told.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

What I find deplorable is that you can bet that a sixty year old who cannot work, will be much worse off on Jobseekers or Disability or Incapacity Benifit, than they would be on a pension. We ALREADY have cases of elderly persons dying of cold in homes they cannot afford to heat, from the last two years alone, and yet this is going to make an awful lot of people WORSE off than they were before.
The worst thing about it is, its the fault of no one but the British people. We KNEW the Conservatives couldnt be trusted, and we knew the Labour party were liars, and had entirely let go of thier working class roots. And even so we forced the only party who have never been tried, into a coallition with the very people who are KNOWN throughout the history of this country, to be BAD for the majority of people, and good for the rich and affluent few.
When will we learn as a nation that letting a conservative near the pensions of the most vunerable in society, and the health service is an utterly flawed approach? I am utterly disgusted with the voter base in this country , that even a single vote was cast for either Labour OR the Conservatives. It just goes to show how thoroughly indoctrinated the large majority of people in Britain are.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
This new legislation isn't so much about enabling people to work longer, it's about changing the mindset about retirement expectations. As ever, the poorest, who have lower life expectancy, will suffer most.
I was fortunate to be able to retire just after 60. Part of me wanted to continue and I certainly needed the money but I am in the gray area of having just enough health problems to affect job performance - but which would not be grounds for disability. It was stressful trying to keep up which in turn was affecting health - a vicious circle.
Some people are lucky but for lots of us, bits start to 'go' at this age! It seems the new culture is to 'work till you drop' . Oh and if you happen to lose your job past 55 try looking for a new one!
Looking at the unemployment rate amongst young people, it doesn't make sense.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by Yissachar1

WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH!!!!!

People want to enjoy their life, not die trying to.... people want to see their wife and kids.... not die trying to....

I read today that Cameron is pledging 650mil to Pakistan.... i though this /Country was in debt.... how do they pay these amounts of cash if we are so far in debt? It puzzles me.... also a lot of jobs are being cut from the public sector yet they want to reduce the unemployment list.... this puzzles me too....

I'm puzzled

A bit free and easy with OUR money huh?... You are not the only who is puzzled by these morons..

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Indeed, those People would be incredibly worse off on those benefits. Just one more large important piece of the bigger picture that will always be ignored.

Although as some of us know, the Government doesn't really care about the People and whether they will be worse off or not. They just care about the figures and possible savings. Savings that end up getting used on things of very little value to our Country as a whole, which pushes us deeper into debt.

If this "Idea" ever got pushed through, for a brief time it may show on their figures that they are saving in this area, then when other areas start to rise, they would think of another "Crazy Idea" to push through to sway the figures and savings briefly in their favour, whilst trying to spin the public into believing that this is what's best for them and the majority will lap it up, because of course, the Government is only doing what's in our best interests.....Rinse, Cycle, Repeat.

It's all quite insulting really.....And as you say, even though The Conservatives and Labour have openly shafted the majority. They will continue to get the votes regardless. Most People are easily swayed, have incredibly short memories and attention spans, which these parties explicitly rely on.

edit on 6-4-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A
reply to post by Kharron

That's very nice the guy decided to speak for us 300mil Americans.

He's not, not unless the British secretary of state for work and pensions is writing US pension policies.

Hehe my bad, the UK articles sometimes confuse me and I don't catch the source. I just automatically assume it's US politics. Thanks for the heads up!

Khar

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

I think the worst thing that has come of the last election, and the subsequent buggery of my nation by a minority of toffs, is that previous to the last election, there were not three, but TWO alternatives. Either vote New Labour or Tory, and get boned either way for a certainty, or vote Liberal Democrat, because better the devil you know is a fallacy of gargantuan proportions.

Now we are in the position of being CERTAIN that no matter which of the viable parties you vote for, you will still get absolutely demolished by wave after wave of crap, because now there is NO large party which has the interests of the common man at heart. We can now safely say that NONE of the key political figures in our nation are capable of honour, compassion, or making those at fault for our nations troubles accountable for thier gross, and sickening incompetence.

The only positive thing to come out of the last election, or any of the fecund mass of dirt that has flowed from its result, is that now the people KNOW that there is no reflection in government , of the needs, the feelings, or the anger of the people. I can only hope that this knowledge is used by the voter base in future, to prevent another government being voted in, until such time as people who are prepared to follow the orders of the people paying the tax bills are available to the key roles in government. The people paying that bill being we the people of Britain, rather than business leaders, associations of bankers, or any other bloody irrelevant bunch of econofascists.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join