It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Most of us WANT to work past 65': Astonishing claim by IDS as he unveils overhaul which could pus

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
These twerps don't live in the real world.
I have a brother who is 56 and lost a job 2 years ago.
He's applied for hundreds of jobs over that time and no one wants to employ him.
Who is going to employ an unemployed 60, 65, 70 year old?
And we live in a world where you aren't guaranteed a job for life.
So although this might not effect those near retirement age now, it is going to affect the next generations.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

From and ethical point of view......It stinks, plain and simple.

From a cost cutting point of view.......Therein lies a problem.

By upping the pensionable age, all the people who are incapable of working at that age due to various ailments, or are unable to find more suitable work for themselves because of their age and the restrictions it can cause, will ultimately end up having to claim sickness benefits or unemployment benefits if they are unable to financially support themselves until they are able to claim state pensions.

They are trying to cut costs in one area, but will eventually raise costs in another area.

It seems they are just snipping away at the budget blindly and putting all these reforms forward without even considering or looking at the bigger picture.

edit on 5-4-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I hate ignorance to the point of stereo typing people...This idiot did the worst of all.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Well, I'm a church minister, and we often joke that "Moses never retired".

Retirement is a Hellenistic notion. I want to work until the day that I die, doing something that I absolutely love (serving God and people).

Most people can't wait for retirement because their job is simply a means to this end. I find that to be very sad. Work hard all of your life for 10-20 years of elderly "fun"? No thanks. I'd rather enjoy every year of my life right where I'm at.

I can rest for all eternity in heaven.

Cheers,
Cody

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Personally, I don't want to work a day in my life...

however, I want to do things I enjoy and get paid for it until I die...find a career you enjoy and you won't work a day in your life...find a job you hate and you will forever be working double time.

Lots of people are working crap jobs because they have to..some are working because they really do want to be out there doing something and find the idea of sitting at home watching endless reruns and soap operas to be a soul killer...and some people have no clue they are working...just doing what they enjoy doing and getting paid for it as a bonus. (I soo want to be in that last bit).

I am a graphic artist/webpage designer/3d designer. I truely enjoy my line of work and would do (and have done) it even without payment due to simply love for it.

Hopefully there will always be someone whom needs my services, as I like paying rent and such, but don't want to flip burgers.

btw, if anyone needs a 3d model, graphics design, etc...you know...will give you the bunker discount

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A
reply to post by legalizeit

Everyone should just start their own cash business .. small or big .. STOP PAYING TAX

And forget about using roads, hospitals, schools, police, fire services etc, etc.

Damn those greedy nurses and selfish teachers! Grrr!

You're worried about roads and medicine ..?? no please ... spare me the government cliche talk ...
Ya .. keeep telling yourself that while you keep hitting pot holes after paying your tax .. and get unnecessary medicine shoved down your throat ... less than 1% of what we pay in taxes is actually being used properly .. rest is squandered .. students are all flunking with useless education standards .. worst in the world .. where is your tax then ..?
all good talent comes from outside the country coz it's cheap .. thats how you have your little bit of good education, medicine and development ..

Until we don't get self reliant .. start taking care of ourselves and practice self-treatment .. until we don't rely on ourselves to tell us what to eat, drink, what medicines/vaccines to take, etc .. until then .. you will only be too happy to pay tax .. you are a slave to your govt ...

The only reason any person or entity can have so much control over you is because you let them .. you are happy with whatever bollocks story they make up to spend your hard earned money on ... good for you ... keep your eyes closed and keep taking it ...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
Reply to post by legalizeit

Last time i tried to plant a veggie patch in MY garden, i had a council busy body (who can somehow see into my back garden) write me a strongly worded letter informing me that they were upping the amount of council tax because i had a COMMERCIAL "urban farm" with which to sell produce!
i kid you not! But the burden of proof of my so called green grocers was on them and i won the appeal. Bloody liberty!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Thats right .. whenever someone tried to become self-reliant .. they see it as a threat .. all they want is for you to follow in line and pay tax ...
I'm happy for you though .. glad you won ... commercial urban farm my ass ...
Keep up the out of the box thinking !

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkATi

Most people can't wait for retirement because their job is simply a means to this end. I find that to be very sad. Work hard all of your life for 10-20 years of elderly "fun"? No thanks. I'd rather enjoy every year of my life right where I'm at.

My dad loved his Job, as cabin crew for an International airline, he traveled the world, stayed in great hotels and had a great social life that comes with the job, however after 38 years of flying and paying into his pension he retired and has never been happier. He worked hard payed his taxes and now should be able to enjoy the fruits of his labour. He is actually having a lot of "fun" too in his retirement. Living in spain and playing golf every day.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Just to clarify, the government isn’t going to make people work until they are 70 as some are claiming, the pension age will increase to 66 from 65 by 2020 and 68 by 2046.

That’s an increase of three years over 35; think about the advances in medical care over the last 35 years.

reply to post by legalizeit

So, you’d be fine with dirt roads, you’ve never used a hospital or GP, crime is nonexistent where you live, you would have done just as well without your state education and everything you own is made of asbestos? Really?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Lol we should start making robots to do the work for us.
I hope they find a way to make the moon and mars a habitable place to live. That way the earth wont be so crowded in the future.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH!!!!!

People want to enjoy their life, not die trying to.... people want to see their wife and kids.... not die trying to....

I read today that Cameron is pledging 650mil to Pakistan.... i though this /Country was in debt.... how do they pay these amounts of cash if we are so far in debt? It puzzles me.... also a lot of jobs are being cut from the public sector yet they want to reduce the unemployment list.... this puzzles me too....

I'm puzzled

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
God, if I could, I'd retire today and I'm only 24 but of course, that's just silly. I'm sure there are many individuals out there who do want to work past 65 though, you can't forget about that minority but raising the retirement age in this country would be a very idiotic move...

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by DarkATi

My dad loved his Job, as cabin crew for an International airline, he traveled the world, stayed in great hotels and had a great social life that comes with the job, however after 38 years of flying and paying into his pension he retired and has never been happier. He worked hard payed his taxes and now should be able to enjoy the fruits of his labour. He is actually having a lot of "fun" too in his retirement. Living in spain and playing golf every day.

Nothing wrong with this!

It just bothers me when people aren't enjoying their jobs, and simply waiting for retirement to roll around so they can start living.

Live every day to the fullest; they are all gifts. Sounds like your dad knows how to do this.

Cheers,
Cody

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I have a feeling by the time im that age social security wont even exist anymore (and the gov better refund me if thats the case)

Cut military spending 1% and im sure we could afford it easily, but I forgot, theres too many boogie-men out to get us to cut that untouchable budget

Or just audit the fed, but why do that when they can pass the burden onto us?

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whirpool
reply to post by Amaterasu

Lol we should start making robots to do the work for us.
I hope they find a way to make the moon and mars a habitable place to live. That way the earth wont be so crowded in the future.

Well... If Humans grew in number tenfold there would still be plenty of room on this planet for all of us. To put it in perspective, if the mass of every one of us Humans were put into the Grand Canyon - we would not fill one side canyon. If all the Humans - every man, woman and child - were given 1/4 acre of land in Australia (4% of land mass EXcluding Antarctica), there would still be a chunk left over - and then there would be the rest of the 96% of the land mass.

The only "overcrowding" is in cities - which if energy is free and robots are doing the fetching and carrying, will become unnecessary - they will persist only as convention and not requirement (they are required because of energy distribution - the "grid").

And yes. We absolutely should get robots to do the stuff no one wants to do - Humans are no longer needed as slaves. But without money in the way.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
These twerps don't live in the real world.
I have a brother who is 56 and lost a job 2 years ago.
He's applied for hundreds of jobs over that time and no one wants to employ him.
Who is going to employ an unemployed 60, 65, 70 year old?
And we live in a world where you aren't guaranteed a job for life.
So although this might not effect those near retirement age now, it is going to affect the next generations.

Give your brother heart-felt condolences. I am 54 and have been unemployed for 5 years now. I have applied to everything from Administrative Assistant to chicken plucker. My main forte is graphics, writing, video production and web graphics. To be sure, I am applying to those jobs, too. Still, after somewhere between 35,000 and 50,000 job applications later, I am still unemployed.

I know his pain well.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

edit on 5-4-2011 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
That's very nice the guy decided to speak for us 300mil Americans. However, I would feel better if we put this to a vote - organize a country wide referendum and we'll see what people want.

Although, if we're gonna be changing the age from 65, then we should go up AND down from 65 and see what the people like better. If one option is 70 let the other one be 60. So we've got 3 choices.

I wonder if this would ever be brought up again if there was even an option of it going down to 60, it would freak out our owners so bad, they probably wouldn't pay politicians to bring it up for another decade.

Khar

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I dont wanna work on anything other than my own projects

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Kharron

That's very nice the guy decided to speak for us 300mil Americans.

He's not, not unless the British secretary of state for work and pensions is writing US pension policies.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join