It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this really the link to ADHD?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This Hyperactivity does exist.
My son was hyperactive...couldn't sit still, allways tapping feet, shrugging shoulders, etc. could pay attention...the doc prescribed ritilin....it made him worse. I quit giving it to him.
Instead I gave him B Vitamins......
Problem Solved!

There are a lot of chemicals and food additives that can disrupt the nervous system.
I'd like to know why all this stuff is put into our food.
When I was growing up it wasn't there.
We used a lot of Campbell's soups.
The labels had a very short list of ingredients...the same as we would use if making it at home.
Now look at the list....

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

if a kid has done wrong, they need to have the situation explained to them, and the importance of cause and effect being ingrained in kids is probably a good place to start, I use it with mine, to explain the chain reaction of consequence to certain actions either they are about to pursue, or to what has already been undertaken

I do agreed with you about how these days kids are in information overload. However, it is great you can explain cause and effect , or action/consequence to your normal children. Now explain it to them in less than five words, because a seriously ADHD kid often only hears the first few words....and then they are on to the next thing. But what people fail to realize is that it is not a lack of understanding cause and effect. It is a lack of impulse control. Big difference...a kid will throw a ball in the house and get in trouble for it. You ask him why he got in trouble, he says throwing a ball in the house. 10 minutes later he throws it again. He gets in trouble again. He knows why. 10 minutes later does it again...gets in trouble again. He knows why..."but i didn't mean to." When you get to 20th time and he has been punished over and over and is seriously upset that he keeps getting in trouble....you gotta know somethings up. I was spanked every single day of my life for something.

I spent half of my son's life trying to "punish" the ADD out of him also. Many of these kids get mistaken for "the strong willed child" when most parents don't understand exactly what impulse control is. When you think in 5 or less words most thoughts. "Oh a ball...throw it." Balls are for throwing...there was no other thought process before it left his hand.

Since medication has allowed for more than a five word process, he RARELY gets into any kind of trouble at all!!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminateme

Glad to hear that a good smack on the butt cured it...but what about those of us that it didn't...oh right...your a scientist...you've figured something out that doctors haven't...I was spanked every day of my life and have a real life problem. I dropped out of school. Started using drugs...this is the norm for kids with it...slept very rarely since birth...my parents tried to beat the add out of me...but you just can't...it is very real...it is proven real...they can see it in PET scans...I suppose cancer and down syndrome and personality disorders and psychopathic disorders are not real either huh? Screw these new techniques and scientific breakthroughs huh? They don't exist!!! It's exactly what them aliens want us to believe....ya your real credible aren't you?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon
reply to post by Anttyk47

Who is defined as aware then ?
Just curious to know the answer

Ehh that could go into a HUGE discussion into one's ego which i really don't feel like going into.
You already know the answer, but i think you just want to see my reaction towards what you ask. One's ego is a poison, but we live with what we have. And its hard to let go one's ego.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was 12. The medication lasted all of about 3 months. My parents saw how the ridlin or whatever affected me and chose to deal with the problem instead of feeding me drugs. Later in life I took care of that myself. I do think it is REAL. I also am not so sure about the food coloring causing it. It is how you handle the problem. I can tell I have problems paying attention or remembering things. So I adapt to that and now I write down all kinds of stuff on my phones notes or I have friends that help me as well. I also believe my profession as an auto mechanic is do to the affects of ADHD. Instead of using it as a crutch, it has aided me in becoming who I am as a person.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dontshoot

You dear, are completely wrong...these medications WILL cause it while those who are not ADHD are taking it. You are taking an AMPHETEMINE. But things work differently in those who actually have it. That is why you (who do not have it) will get wound up and anxious and can't sit still...and those who are truly ADHD it makes them calmer....WOW...why is it that people think they know so much before even researching these things?

"I know from personal experience because I took this AMPHETEMINE and then I couldn't sit still or concentrate..." Now if that medication had an opposite effect on you and it allowed you to sit still for the first time...you would have a different view. But to claim that the medication gave it to you is really silly, when maybe the more direct conclusion is that you don't have it.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by illuminateme

Yeah, my parents didn't believe in ADHD, either. I got a spanking at least once a week growing up for something or other relating to my ADHD, and it never did me much good. The main problem being that I'd been fidgeting for five or ten minutes before I even realized I was doing it most of the time.

But that's just because I was a lazy good for nothing with no self-control, right? Even though I made straight As through most of school, was in all sorts of extracurricular activities, and never even touched drugs. People like me are such bad apples and deserve to be beaten within an inch of our lives because we're too lazy to just stop fidgeting.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Yep you got me confused I was talking about someone netrual ground here, i.e you mention Alex Jones as #2, so who in terms of lets say celebrity for want of a better word to describe it, would you consider has reached #4 in your opinion, I'm just curious, after all the only one who springs to mind for me is yoda (I know lousy example, but you get my meaning
)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

With your last post in mind, as you have the ultimate knowledge because it is your eperience looking back from now to then, what has changed for you which stops you from say repeatedly doing an action which would get you into trouble, to now no longer doing it ? Is it because drugs control the thought process ? Or on some level did an internalisation of differing thought process of reapeating such action develop ?

Please don't be offended, and I'm not trying to single you out, its just your the last post I read, and anyone else, please anwser too, I am interested to discover what changes, because I know in a fair few instances the situation changes as you get older, as I have never been affected I don't understand the bridges in the gaps so to speak

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

That is great! I had my notebook that I had to write everything down in too. (Before smart phones) Its great that you were able to struggle through. I struggled as hard as I could but I could not sit still through classes at school. I think some kids are worse than others. There are some that can struggle through. But others just can't. I would look for reasons just to get up....I had to go to the bathroom...I needed a drink...and sometimes the thought of going to class or the movies or somewhere that I was going to have to sit still would give me anxiety so bad that I would skip class or make an excuse why I couldn't go. It was like having claustrophobia....so I quit going to school. I just dropped out. I have always scored high on tests, but just couldn't stand being there...so instead I just went and got my GED.

I didn't start on medication until I was an adult. It has changed my world. Just like any disorder, it takes some figuring out to get the right one, and the correct dose. But since then I have gone back to school and am presently working toward my masters degree in geophysics....

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

Are you sure you weren't just extremely gifted

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by restlessbrainsyndrome

Yeah to be fair my kids have these issues from time to time too, although I would assume nowhere near the scale of ADHD I think impulsiveness gets to them all in the end, its just a matter of degrees, perhaps its like a form of creative thinking in which steps 1-5 are skipped and goes straight to step 6 the outcome missing out the critical thinking part, the anylising portion so to speak ?

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
ADHD is a REAL disorder - Just like autism or aspergous syndrome. It is a natural disorder somewhere in the brain which some people are unfortunately born with. Just because you've never experienced it doesn't mean it don't exist!
Besides, most of the time these people do have special abilities unlike normal people - e.g. The 12 year old Physicist Jake.

So guys, just chill lol... not everything is a conspiracy!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Oh yea, I was gonna start this exact same thread but ummm, uhhhh, what were we talking about again? Oh well! I'm gonna go play outside!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by XRaDiiX

Where do I push the big pharma agenda in any of my threads here?

You really don't know what you're talking about at all. Like I said earlier.....READ exactly what I said and repeat it back to me 10 times; not what your mind perceives but what I stated in very clear written ENGLISH form!

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
OK, I have to reply to all the people who either believe:
1. ADHD does not exist
2. A good smack in the butt will help ADHD.
I really get sick of people that have no medical training, and or no firsthand knowledge, or have done little to no research about a subject thinking they can provide opinions about medical subjects with authority. This applies to all medical subjects on this board not just ADHD.
On the subject of ADHD, I have both firsthand knowledge and tons of research.
I was diagnosed with hyperactivity at age 7; this was in the mid 70's so the term ADHD really had not been coined yet.
My parents believed they could handle it without medication and purely with discipline. I cannot blame them, as at the time there much less research and information available compared to today.
My parents believed in spanking, and IT DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO HELP THE CONDITION.
The only thing I remember in my life about being spanked was the amount of fear it induced in me against my parents, I remember nothing of why or what I was supposed to learn from it.
I did poorly in school, even though the same child psychiatrist that diagnosed me with hyperactivity also preformed an IQ test and I scored in the upper 2%. I always had a hard time focusing on the work and my mind would wander. Yeah spanking really helps that, I don’t even understand how people even think that spanking will somehow change brain chemistry.

Throughout my early adulthood until my late 20’s – early 30’s, I made very destructive decisions and led a life where I always was one step from being homeless and extremely unhappy for the most part. I was very impulsive and found it hard to focus on anything that was repetitive or uninteresting to me. I also had destructive relationships, and as I look back I hurt some very good people, including my parents.
Eventually I started to create coping mechanisms once I hit around 30, and my life started to become more functional. I met and married my wife 6 years ago, when I was 34, a combination of her understanding and my coping allowed me the have a good relationship. I also started college part time in my mid thirties and found it very hard to focus, especially in long lectures. The vast majority of the time I did very well, Deans list and honor society, but it was much harder than it should have been. Coping mechanisms only can do so much as they do not change the underlying problem. Especially self made mechanisms without any professional guidance.

About a year ago I was fighting an extreme case of chronic insomnia and restless leg syndrome that defied the conventional treatments. At one point, while researching and trying to find out what else could cause the conditions, I discovered that ADHD can cause these symptoms and I remembered about the diagnoses when I was seven. I had completely forgotten about it at this point. I mentioned this to my doctor and he gave me a little written test and we discussed my life in the past. He put me on Adderall and I almost cannot describe the difference it is making in my life. For example, I had a hard time sitting through a lecture; I would have an almost uncontrollable urge to leave. I would shift positions constantly and it was very hard to focus on the lecture, even if the subject was interesting to me. Since the medication, I have almost zero problems sitting through a lecture. I used to have a hard time getting things done around the house as I would be easily sidetracked, since the medication I have gotten more done than I ever have before. My insomnia and restless leg have also vastly improved.

MRI’s have shown definite brain activity differences between people with and without ADHD. In the brain of a person with ADHD certain parts of the brain are underactive, medical opinion is that these are the brain centers that control focus. Recent studies have suggested that ADHD may be genetic in nature. Considering my biological mother and grandmother both had serious physiological issues (I was adopted at age 5), my life seems to suggest that may be true.

The medications used to treat ADHD are basically Amphetamine based with the difference being various different chains attached or chemicals that are very similar in structure to Amphetamine .Adderall is a combination of different Amphetamine salts. The purpose is to raise Dopamine levels in the brain as medical science has determined that low Dopamine levels are the major cause of the low brain activity in the areas described before. Norepinephrine is also involved, but to a much lesser degree.
One of the ways my doctor and I can tell it is ADHD is the fact that the medication I take would make a person without ADHD have physical effects such as increased heartbeat, temperature and the outward signs of being “amped up” on speed. I have NONE of these effects, as my dopamine levels are low to begin with; the medication brings my Dopamine levels to where normal person would be, rather than increasing it to the point of intoxication. The only effect for me is the beneficial ones.

I also want to address the “ADHD did not exist when I was a kid, so it is BS”. Was the world physically flat until we discovered it was a sphere? Did cancer not exist until we discovered it? Up until the mid 1930’s, science claimed that no fissionable matter existed, it was impossible, then we made the first atomic weapons with material that supposedly could not exist. Just because something has not been found or studied does not mean that it does not exist.

I have more I could say on the subject, but this post is getting long enough.

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jaycen420

well i am here to tell you of my experience.

i suffer from "hyper kinetic" or also called "attention deficit"
since i was very young. i noticed it.

now my parents had never heard of this. and thought
yes he's just a little # and needs a kick up the arse for mis behaving.
yeah sure i got that every day of my life until i left home. most the time i probably deserved it also. being into everything breaking everything. pulling everything apart.

now the thing is. ADD and ADHD are real. they are a real disorder that is out of the control of the sufferer.

for example. me. i dont have the hyper aspect of it. i am a ginger. and there was some arguments that it was a GINGER disease. lol. anyway i have a few ginger friends. and a few of them have ADD. and i know 1 guy who is ADHD. now from this, meeting this person. you would think they had some disorder instantly. the need to be doing something, fiddling,kicking,touching,breaking,talking, invovlved. "NEED FOR ATTENTION". is actually a cry for stimulation.

now at one point i remember my parents thinking that "attention deficit" meant he wasn't getting enough attention. i was also confused when told this by the same guidance councilor @ school. told my parents. and my father actually told the guidance councilor. (never forget this ). no he's just a little # and needs a good kick up the arse to toe the line) so to speak. haha

now because i dont have the hyper aspect i cannot comment on this.
but i see so many people out there that claim they have ADD or ADHD which are clear hoax's and its just ppl who are bored or lazy. where dont get me wrong. bored and lazy can also be traits of a geniune sufferer of add/adhd

now personally as an ADD sufferer. this is how it goes for me. i am so distracted by whats going on. always. i forget about myself and my own well being so much. i neglect the "social institutes" to a point where the impact on my health etc has shown me that i neglect and dont get involved with.

i have never had medication. although i have tried the ritalin and conclude it works. (not without making me feel like a robot).

with me this is what happens, i get extremely focus's or involved or at tentative beyond anyone's means when i am interested in something. if there is no stimulation or anything to involve me mentally/physically my mind takes control over me and in an instant. i have actually tried and tried and tried to focus on teh moment it happens to see whats actually going on. but alas i am unable to. i get distracted so easily.

just talking here and typing this message i have been distracted a handful of times but because im "HELLBENT" on getting this post out i am overly focused and interested so i wont be beat. and thats another thing. add' ppl come across as competitive. its not usually offensive in nature but can be seen that way. esp if they are deliberate competing for the sake of. most add ppl compete for stimulation. me at school having a perfect anatomy i can run fast and im extremely flexible and cant put weight on or loose it. im kinda stuck. so i was fast and agile @ school. always picked on but ran faster. however i could just downright beat most kids. but i used to convince them they had a chance so they actually pushed themselves. then as i knew that there was a geniune threat of a competator. i would anihilate them .. eg a running race. a arm wrestle etc. something fun. and i admit that was kinda mean. but hey. had to make my own entertainment

so thats just 1 of my ADD rants. so dont try to tell me ADD doesn't exist. i hate the name and everything that people perceive it to be like. its not. and its #in crazy. "interesting". but still crazy and chaotic.

now. the ive heard heaps of talk about "its all about your diet".

it is so true. because everything is from the energy in energy out perspective.

could take it further and say its all from the SUNLIGHT you get.

you are what you eat. sure i can eat lots of sugar. it puts me on the slightly hyper side. but im not hyper all the time. sometimes when its a specific form of stimulation, usually talking. sometimes i get so involved in the conversation and teh topic is "TABOO" or somehow involved in cryptic or subversive "conspiracies". can effect the people around me and myself. almost like a social anxiety.
edit on 4/4/2011 by Ashyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

Most parents do not take lightly medicating their child especially with ADHD. I personally think all parents who have their child properly evaluated for this biological disorder usually embrace the fact that their child with ADD or ADHD is clever and with the right support network WILL thrive and become quite successful. Without that support network and proper structure, alot of these kids are going to be left behind and their futures will be a constant uphill battle well in to their adult years.

What gets up my goat are the teachers and schools enforcing a child to be medicated because the teachers lack the proper skills in dealing with hypo active children regardless of whether they are ADHD or not. This is a complete failure, not on the part of the student, but the system and teachers themselves.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
This Hyperactivity does exist.

Instead I gave him B Vitamins......
Problem Solved!

now is B the group from the sun?
perhaps it is a ginger origin disease after all.

ive been told "melanocortin 1 deficient" people cannot absorb or be in the sun long enough to get the ammount required.

somehow we are a different race. the blue

and we have all heard about the vitamin b17
edit on 4/4/2011 by Ashyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The cause of ADHD is doctors, phyciatrists and medical companies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join