It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters prepare for 'family' demo in London

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
One of the rare days I feel happy to be from the UK.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

It may of been on the same topic but it is happening today so i posted a thread about it for today .
Is that really a problem? , when it will be all over the MSM news in a few hours time.

It was a similar topic not the " Same "
edit on 26-3-2011 by johngtr because: punctuation

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by johngtr

It may of been on the same topic but it is happening today so i posted a thread about it for today .
Is that really a problem? , when it will be all over the MSM news in a few hours time.

It was a similar topic not the " Same "
edit on 26-3-2011 by johngtr because: punctuation

J

Don't worry, I wasn't complaining, just responding to a statement which I though was a little narrow sighted...........

although, still is technically the same item but hey who cares!!

regards

PDUK

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Yeah its all good i was just pointing out my opinion , i wasnt having a personal " dig " at you at all.

Lots Of Information will come in thick and fast in a few hours time about this, especially if there is a outbreak of any kind of violence.

Peace - PDUK

Peace - ALL

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Source : twitpic.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Seen some coverage of the union march in London. Seems pretty peaceful so far, and there are lots of families there as well as union representatives and individual groups. There are legions of protestors out on the streets of people out on the streets of London today, and the organisers claim there are at least 100,000 people involved, although from the news reports and the available images of the march route, I would have thought there are in fact many times that figure.
BBC news channel seems to be giving a pretty decent account of the protest, and they had a conservative government man in the studio to answer the points being made by random people in the protest. Maxine Mawhinney grilled him about the fifty pound cut to the winter fuel allowance (which is a sum of money, provided to pensioners to help them cover the cost of heating thier homes over the colder months) at a time when fuel costs are increasing , and unusualy for her (and for the beeb) she refused to allow him to get away with the usual deflections, and by the time I had to turn off my television and return to work, it was obvious that the fellow she was interveiwing was utterly incapable of providing a straight answer, or at least, one that wouldnt land his party in hot water.
If you are having trouble locating coverage, go to :

www.bbc.co.uk...
...and look at the live coverage, or alternatively go to the bbc news channel on the tellybox.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Something else that occurs to me is that you can have, say, 250 000 on some kind of march, and it only needs about 20 or 30 to start fighting the police, and those will be the images splashed all over the MSM for days on end, completely ignoring the other 249 970 people who didn't do a thing but end up being tarred with the same brush anyway. That makes me even more sick, because as far as i'm concerned the journalist has a moral duty to put forward the truth to the people, yet they seldom ever do, it seems.

Is it just because media owners like Murdoch and co. get more perks from the government for holding up the establishment view?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
Seen some coverage of the union march in London. Seems pretty peaceful so far, and there are lots of families there as well as union representatives and individual groups. There are legions of protestors out on the streets of people out on the streets of London today, and the organisers claim there are at least 100,000 people involved, although from the news reports and the available images of the march route, I would have thought there are in fact many times that figure.
BBC news channel seems to be giving a pretty decent account of the protest, and they had a conservative government man in the studio to answer the points being made by random people in the protest. Maxine Mawhinney grilled him about the fifty pound cut to the winter fuel allowance (which is a sum of money, provided to pensioners to help them cover the cost of heating thier homes over the colder months) at a time when fuel costs are increasing , and unusualy for her (and for the beeb) she refused to allow him to get away with the usual deflections, and by the time I had to turn off my television and return to work, it was obvious that the fellow she was interveiwing was utterly incapable of providing a straight answer, or at least, one that wouldnt land his party in hot water.
If you are having trouble locating coverage, go to :

www.bbc.co.uk...
...and look at the live coverage, or alternatively go to the bbc news channel on the tellybox.

ITV, also have similar coverage although the figures differ,

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Things started kicking off on Oxford Street, a few hundred protesters attacked a Topman shop, broke the windows, etc, and threw stuff.

Sky are running with "Metropolitan Police: Lightbulbs filled with ammonia thrown at officers by protesters."

twitter.com...

And so it begins.
edit on 26-3-2011 by Hitoshura because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hitoshura
Things started kicking off on Oxford Street, a few hundred protesters attacked a Topman shop, broke the windows, etc, and threw stuff.

Sky are running with "Metropolitan Police: Lightbulbs filled with ammonia thrown at officers by protesters."

twitter.com...

And so it begins.

I must say the speed in which you posted this was incredible,
Sky only posted it 3 minutes ago : )
Nice work - wonder if there is any footage being uploaded on you tube im off to take a quick look.

EDIT - Webcam for oxford street - not great but you can see how many people are there
edit on 26-3-2011 by johngtr because: (no reason given)

www.streamdays.com...
edit on 26-3-2011 by johngtr because: Link

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by johngtr
I must say the speed in which you posted this was incredible,
Sky only posted it 3 minutes ago : )

Nah, was watching the BBC coverage live as it happened, so have been checking since. It happened just after Milliband had started speaking too, and cut the rest of his speech off to show coverage of it, which was convenient to say the least.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Hitoshura

Fair enough, I got bbc news on tv but its talking about breaking news in libya now not the London Protests

2nd line

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by superwurzel666

Just look at some of the response in my thread on the same issue and you will see british members calling for the hanging of trade unionists. www.abovetopsecret.com...

They cannot see the wood for the trees, bit of an unintended pun there Woodward.

I have no political allegiance but do wonder what the working conditions would be like without unions.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
UK Uncut have occupied BHS now :

Protesters occupying #bhs chanting 'pay your tax Philip Green!' plixi.com... #ukuncut #26march

twitter.com...

Via here, which seems to be as good as any for live updates : www.guardian.co.uk...

Info on UK Uncut :

11.30am Meet outside the National Theatre on the South Bank to march with the UK Uncut bloc
2.00pm Simultaneous occupations of tax dodgers and banks the length of Oxford Street
3.30pm Gather at Oxford Circus ready for a mass occupation of a top secret target

ukuncut.org.uk...

And from the guardian blog linked further up :

1.31pm: Activists from Ukuncut, the peaceful direct action group that has closed down more than 100 high street stores accused of tax avoidance, are moving into position on Oxford Street. They are planning 14 different occupations of high street stores accused of tax avoidance, Matthew Taylor writes :

"A spokesman just said there were about 200 people moving towards their various targets with more expected to join in the next half an hour. Meanwhile the main march just gets bigger. People are still streaming across bridges to join from south London while others are making their way from the north."

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Watching it now, The BBC Say " A breakaway group of around a couple of hundred, attacked topshot with those ammonia filled light bulbs, they are using paint "bombs", Attacking a police van with sticks , rocks and cones, Still on now anyone in UK put BBC News channel on

EDIT Police are gearing up helmets and vehicles arriving, police lines forming, cointainment starting, protestors spreading out
edit on 26-3-2011 by johngtr because: edit

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Unconfirmed - 1 man arrested so far,

Im sure alot more to come-

break away group into Piccadilly BBC Now say " several hundred "

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
A lot of people

More than 600 coaches were provided to take people to London on Saturday morning, and marchers set off from Victoria Embankment to Hyde Park.

BBC News

I saw this on CNN for 2 mins. They showed a man throwing a cone and the police forming a line there must of been about 40 people in the group i saw.

I've used to live in the U.K for around 17 years. I know there were quite a few people who would find it fun to go there with the intention of stirring trouble or just to see what happens.I hope that doesn't happen today as that will really undermine the level of organization that has seem to go into this.

Anyone know where i can watch this in the USA?

edit on 26-3-2011 by Bixxi3 because: missed

edit on 26-3-2011 by Bixxi3 because: again

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Im not sure sorry,

Protesters are throwing flares, not a large police presence where these " breakaways" are. i can see 5 officers on the TV.

The protesters here are all in black some with balaclavas , just marching down the street.

Hyde park,- People As Far As The Eye Can See - Thousands still on there way to join them

Protesters just threw paint at the RITZ hotel, more coloured flairs, police line forming , 30 officers max - several hundred still in "breakaway"
edit on 26-3-2011 by johngtr because: edit

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
That group just hit the Ritz Hotel, still moving onwards.

edit : actually they're still outside the Ritz throwing stuff and chanting.

edit 2 : now they're off again. It looks like it's UK Uncut working their way towards their target at around 3:30pm.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Hitoshura

that guy talking on BBC just said he thinks there should be even MORE cuts.

How about he cuts his wages then

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join