It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists create animals that are part-human

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
...Stem cell experiments leading to genetic mixing of species

RENO, Nev. — On a farm about six miles outside this gambling town, Jason Chamberlain looks over a flock of about 50 smelly sheep, many of them possessing partially human livers, hearts, brains and other organs.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aae291aedcba.jpg[/atsimg]Rich Pedroncelli / AP

The University of Nevada-Reno researcher talks matter-of-factly about his plans to euthanize one of the pregnant sheep in a nearby lab.
He can’t wait to examine the effects of the human cells he had injected into the fetus’ brain about two months ago.

“It’s mice on a large scale,” Chamberlain says with a shrug.

As strange as his work may sound, it falls firmly within the new ethics guidelines the influential National Academies issued this past week for stem cell research.

Mice with human brains

In January, an informal ethics committee at Stanford University endorsed a proposal to create mice with brains nearly completely made of human brain cells.
Stem cell scientist Irving Weissman said his experiment could provide unparalleled insight into how the human brain develops and how degenerative brain diseases like Parkinson’s progress.

Stanford law professor Hank Greely, who chaired the ethics committee, said the board was satisfied that the size and shape of the mouse brain would prevent the human cells from creating any traits of humanity. Just in case, Greely said, the committee recommended closely monitoring the mice’s behavior and immediately killing any that display human-like behavior. [own emphasis added]

Harvesting human organs from sheep

Few human-animal hybrids are as advanced as the sheep created by another stem cell scientist, Esmail Zanjani, and his team at the University of Nevada-Reno.

They want to one day turn sheep into living factories for human organs and tissues and along the way create cutting-edge lab animals to more effectively test experimental drugs.[own emphasis added]

Zanjani and other stem cell scientists defend their research and insist they aren’t creating monsters — or anything remotely human.

Source

I was pretty disgusted when I read this article.

If this is the result of "civilised", modern, upstanding and benevolent society then I'm all for something cataclysmic that would ensure we lose all our advanced technological capabilities and go back to a time where such technology is physically beyond us because, collectively, we obviously cannot be trusted with the immense power we have to actually do the right thing by it, for the life on this planet if not ultimately for ourselves.

We are truly doomed as a (benevolent) species unless we can get away from these common and vile abuses of the living creatures of this once beautiful planet...oh, how we have raped her so and continue to, without thought to the consequences.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This is in the wrong Forum...

Goats with Human Heads don't belong on a "Fragile Earth"...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimisticPessimist

Whoa? Planet of the Apes on its way any one? Disgusting. I might need a new heart or liver some day for my early 20s behavior in the US Navy.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Skate

Well if the Mods choose to relocate my thread then I'm fine with that, but I considered this a part of our "Fragile Earth" and something that adversely affects it.

+48 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skate
This is in the wrong Forum...

Goats with Human Heads don't belong on a "Fragile Earth"...

Who cares, are you a mod? You replied just to say that? Your snooty comments are getting old.

Deebo

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Very interesting. I don't know what to think though.

At first glance, I'm thinking woah this is totally wrong why would we want to do something like this.

Then I'm thinking kill a lamb for meat and use it's organs for transplants.

Oh I don't know...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Yeah, and if we were able to do the same thing in reverse with reptiles we would have.....us.
This has already been done.
We are not fully human. We never were.
The percentage of reptilian DNA is weaker in us and stronger in the Powerful Elite but none of us are
fully human, Unless the word human automatically referrs to the mixing of Reptilian DNA and the DNA of our
ancestors whatever they may be called.

Again, this has already been done and we are living proof.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Killing any mice with human behavior? I can already see the protesters "Mice Have Feelings Too" signs. Thats one hard thing to get my mind around...I mean, will the mice start crying? Laying on their backs and start chilling? Or even working together and stacking legos together to build houses for shelter?

+24 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Meet someone with a degenerative brain disease and then tell me that experiments on animals is wrong. I think experimenting on lower life forms for the sake of a medical break through is well worth it. Maybe I'm just a degenerate but I think this is fine.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
And what about goats crossed with spiders!!!

www.physorg.com...

or mice with human brains?

www.rawstory.com...

and God only knows what else we don't know about in their labs.....and I have no doubt there are some absolute shockers!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I fail to see the difference from harvesting hamburger and steak from an animal to harvesting human organs from an animal.

Once we, as a species, were capable of empathy for the pain that animals go through to provide us with food, we lost any right to claim "animal abuse". Scientific testing, or food consumption, either way the animals, if they could talk to us, would NOT be happy.

Think about it, if you were told that you had two choices, be used to further the species of humanity through SCIENCE, or be used to further humanity through someones large intestines, which would you pick?

And before you say that animals used for food all have painless deaths and a far cry from the torture that animal testing undergoes, think again and research.

Personally I would rather be a test subject who might better mankind than to be just another Big Mac in the meat blender.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Hey, this is what the movie Splice is about.. Kinda freaky movie.

+17 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
This made me recoil in horror.

It makes me so angry to think how much suffering these Frankenstein scientists deliberately inflict on poor living creatures. It is beyond imagination.

And for what? To save US? So we may live longer? So that we can carry on with destroying our planet and everything on it?

We aren't worth the suffering and sacrifice of other living things - nothing is.

I'd like to punch their faces in for this. Really hard.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
This is a bit scary, but if it does help humans.... I don't know.

On a lighter note: The first thing I thought of was the movie "Black Sheep" Funny B-Horror movie.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimisticPessimist
...Stem cell experiments leading to genetic mixing of species

As history repeats itself---LAUCE IN SO MANY WAYS.......

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
Yeah, and if we were able to do the same thing in reverse with reptiles we would have.....us.
This has already been done.
We are not fully human. We never were.
The percentage of reptilian DNA is weaker in us and stronger in the Powerful Elite but none of us are
fully human, Unless the word human automatically referrs to the mixing of Reptilian DNA and the DNA of our
ancestors whatever they may be called.

Again, this has already been done and we are living proof.
I had no idea. Can you provide some evidence of this reptilian claim, particularly who the elites are that have more reptile in them.

Also, if we are not fully human, who or what is?

I see nothing wrong with this, why would these kind of experiments disgust people?

This is some synchronicity, but I am currently griped by the new Michael Crichton novel called NEXT. It is about this very topic, and it is amazing.
edit on Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:24:35 -0500 by hotbakedtater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by n0tsan3
I think experimenting on lower life forms for the sake of a medical break through is well worth it.

I don't consider you to be a degenerate for holding this view. In fact I think my animal rights views are abnormal, as they seem to be in the minority.

However, I am curious about what you mean by lower life form. What bout a life form being "lower" makes it acceptable to use them as people see fit? Why do the animals not have a right to live free from torturous experimentation?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
There's quite afew Youtube videos on what goes on in some of these labs......

what the animals go through is heart breaking actually

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimisticPessimist
If this is the result of "civilised", modern, upstanding and benevolent society then I'm all for something cataclysmic that would ensure we lose all our advanced technological capabilities and go back to a time where such technology is physically beyond us

No. Something cataclysmic just happened in Japan, now there are more than 20,000 people dead. This beautiful Earth doesn't seem to even know we're here, if it does it certainly doesn't care.

We may be fiddling around with some dangerous stuff, but we are the jewels as far as we're concerned. If it was up to me, not another single person would die. Every death is a cruel and evil event. If there is any more cataclysmic events I don't know how our hearts are going to take it. Sorry if I seem a little un-hip, but you saying something like the above after we just lost more than 20,000 people is a little rough.

New Zealand, China, Japan. The year has just started. Let's hope it stops, please don't be "all for" something even worse.

+27 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
wow, this gives a whole new meaning to to phrase sheeple

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join