It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Browser Help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Hi guys I have just bought a new laptop as my old one wsa pretty knackered. Its not too cheap and has a pretty alright spec, but when I use internet explorer or firefox (Which ive always used previously) they crash regularly saying 'not responding' like they cant handle the data im streaming while I read on another tab etc. I just wanted to know would be a better browser than firefox as most people I know who I ask dont seem to knowledgable.

Thanks

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Personally i use chrome have no complains so far

with ff had a lot of problems also.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Chrome is a good alternative - even if I hate to suggest anything Google related.

I began having memory bleed issues with Firefox and am using Chrome right now. Once I got used to the very minimalistic interface it has, and learned how to bookmark and search with it - it's been pretty good. And it uses resources in a much different manner than other browsers do.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'm amazed that a new laptop would have memory issues like that but it is indeed a memory issue, firefox uses quite a bit. I'd also suggest chrome as it handles resources better and is the fastest current browser out of the main hitters.

Care to mention how much ram you have in that machine? windows 7 or vista I'd assume if it's new.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Firefox 3.whatever the newest released version is using twice as much memory in two ATS open tabs as the beta release of Firefox 4. I had issues with FF3 using insane amounts of memory, especially with multiple tabs open. With six tabs open once, I spotted a massive 700MB memory usage in task manager, windows XP.
I just don't like any of the other ones enough to switch - old dog/new tricks.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Are you running Win 7?

It wouldnt surprise me, no matter what you do or how good your PC / Laptop is, Windows always manages to fit in some bugs....

My PC in still running Vista, with Quad Core, 4GB RAM, a 120GB Solid State HD + 500GB SATA HD and ive updated SP etc and have IE 8 but no matter what i do, IE always crashes at some point along with Windows Explorer! which really ... erckes me!!

My PC sends off it's crash / error data to Microsoft but it doesnt matter, it never makes a difference.

Consider this; If Microsoft could sell a completly superior OS with no bugs in it and all it's compatible software, why would anyone really upgrade in the future....

edit on 21-3-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Safari is also a good choice because its the only browser that is the most up to date with current web technologies (other than WebGL, which only like 3 sites in beta use anyways).

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Here's one that trips up a lot of new computer users, especially laptop users:

on vista (not sure on win7 but prob the same) check the power settings are set to 'High Performance' while you have the charger plugged in. windows defaults to 'Balanced' all the time, which actually gives a surprising hit on performance on your lappy. Also, check the 3D settings of you video card settings, they are usually set to balanced or quality by default, they should be set to performance to boost your new laptops performance too.

Also, while I'm tweeking, switch off windows search, including indexing (you can switch off the indexing by right clicking your drive in my computer and selecting properties, then unticking the box) and windows seach (seaport.exe) should be disabled through 'control panel > adminitrative tools > services'

Dump any AV software like Norton, McAfee and the bigger ones and download the free version of Avast! it's free, quick and hardly slows your comp down.

try these tips to see if any of these improve you comps performance and therefore IE, FF and browser performance.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I'll be honest with you; I'm a big Chrome fan but IE 9 (should be avaliable for download) is pretty good and updating your IE version may solve your problem. This is the first time I've ever seen Microsoft come out with a legit web browser--so give it a shot.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Check if your laptop is 64 bit, there are versions of Firefox and IE that are 64 bit, which will crash if your laptop is only 32 bit.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

I tried IE9 (Beta) and to be honest it didnt really impress me.... it was totally different to all previous versions with little if any improvements.

Then i had a nasty time tryng to remove IE9(Beta) to reinstall IE8.....

I find IE8 much easier to use. There wasnt much improvement, just a different format.

Although everyone has their preferences, each to their own

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Have not seen it mentioned yet.

www.opera.com...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

If - clintdelicious - has just purchased a new computer it should come with Win 7 standard and if it was only very recent it would have also come with IE9...

( As long as it was legal....
)

If not, then by now your first update would most likely include it as the full version has just been released;

Win - IE9

But if you are used to IE8 and previous this version is totally different in alot of ways.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

O wow.. I have a dell XPS... 5000grand by the time I got everything with it. FireFox locks up and crashes constantly..but..they're improving the browser so maybe that's why?? What I've gotten lately is a message that says... the URL is to long and it can't handle all the info ... basically is what it says. When I open my browser my homepage is yahoo... ??
www.yahoo.com that's a to long of a URL?? lol

Anyways... Anything Google scares me... but, I downloaded chrome.. NO problems whatSOever. I might add.. I watch movies for free... FireFox prevents me from going to some of my sites.. and believe me, I'm not blocking them. I believe they've recently programed the browser to skip to a search page if you go somewhere they do not approve of. With Chrome.. I have nooo problems going where I want to go.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

All i can say is... you shoulda gone with Alienware !!
Much better than XPS and it is also supported by Dell and sold on their site.

I got a Dell Insiprion 500 - 6 years ago and is still kicking ass over most of the crap you can buy at an Electronics store today ( with some minor upgrades - RAM, Graphics and HD ).... It all comes down to how you customise it and what part's you pick.

For anyone that doesnt know much about Alienware - it kicks butt!!!

Dell - Alienware

Awesome system's... If you piad over 5K for your Dell XPS you got ripped off... also remember all these systems are built overseas in Singapore and Taiwan ( just look at the packaging and shipping slips / invoice on your delivery...

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

I tried IE9 (Beta) and to be honest it didnt really impress me.... it was totally different to all previous versions with little if any improvements.

Then i had a nasty time tryng to remove IE9(Beta) to reinstall IE8.....

I find IE8 much easier to use. There wasnt much improvement, just a different format.

Although everyone has their preferences, each to their own

The beta was defintly a little rough at first--quite a few bugs that prevented me from using it as a full time browser; but the most updated GM version and the actual release have been quite good. The speed is much better and I like the updated UI as well. While I wouldn't put it on the same level as Firefox, Chrome and Opera (one of my other favorites), it has finally stepped into the 21st century as a browser that can at least hold up to those three. I've always wanted to see Microsoft products do well because I don't appreciate Apple's "walled garden" approach to their mobile devices as well as their actual desktop/laptop computers, and their version of Safari for Windows was pretty terrible too.

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I hope it is better than the Beta version... i really do. although since trialing it, i am reluctant to download it again.

It was a totally different format compared to IE8...

The options selections, the defualt full screen mode. Even when it gave warnings of download's and scripted windows, on the opposite side of the screen??

They totally changed IE in too many ways.... There were some good points but i still prefer IE8. I guess it's like anything though, you have to get used to the new program and once you have, you prefer that over previous versions.

One big issue i have with IE is the lack of security in regards to Spy and Malware... My system get's smashed by it at least once a week.. I Have the latest legal and upto date Mcafee software and also Windows Security Essentials... yet i still manage to get screwed over and have to resort to system restore's...hrrrm
:puz

FYI:

Beware of Java updates!!!

Here is a screenshot of Java Mischeif!! ( from my first scan with Windows Sec Essentials )

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3b85311929aa.jpg[/atsimg]

Best Microsoft Anti-Virus freeware i have ever seen!!

Microsoft Security Essentials

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Windows 7 with 2.00GB RAM. I duno computers too well but im taking it back to be looked over. My last one had a virus on it and they recovered my data safely and transferred it, but im worried that maybe some of this is corrupt or somthing which could be causing these issues?

Both IE and FF crash regularly. I usually have a tab streaming video open and then a few other tabs open from here or just other research im doing which is usally just txt and jpg web pages so I think that it isnt just the browser thats causing this, although I think I will try some of the reccomendations thanks guys.

I have to thank everyone for your help. Its nice being a part of a site like ATS where everyone offers so much assistance without bashing my lack of technical knowledge

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Chrome works well. I have found since I installed Firefox & Chrome, IE just doesn't like me!

new topics

top topics

join