It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depression=how to cure it?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
First of all, whatever you do, do not take prescription medication. That will only make things more murkier than they are now.

Have you tried writing down your thoughts? You say you do not like to talk about things too much, but if you have a lot on your mind you still need to get it off your chest.

Way back when I was a teenager I was depressed a lot because of my circumstances. I was never good at talking to people so I started writing my feelings down as a way of expressing myself. Finding and listening to songs that reflect what you feel can also help.

Hope this helps

edit on 20-3-2011 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

Aye, I tried reading one book, Way of the Peaceful Warrior, but never finished it. However, I've seen the movie, it was amazing and it had really nice thoughts.
I also tried writing at least something, partially my thoughts, or thoughts from that book/movie. That was back in january... I thought I was changing, maybe I was, but then I gave up and fell into sh*t again... and probably even deeper...

But I felt very depressed even before that, because of certain events in my past... now is something else troubling my mind...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Depression is a component of my illness, schizo affective disorder. I went through a period of about three years, where I was constantly depressed. Culminating in a suicide attempt, which landed me in the hospital. I ended up taking three medications, two anti-depressants and an anti-psychotic for two years. During that two year period I concentrated on changing my thinking, I worked on being more positive. On being grateful for what I did have. I worked on squelching negative thinking, which for most part was not based on any facts at all. I've used the methods of Albert Ellis over the years to dispute irrational thinking, I find that it works very well for me. I stopped taking all medication two years ago. I live life. Some times it isn't enjoyable, but when I can, I make it enjoyable as hell. I find that if you have an outlet to relieve stress, I took up golf, that makes a difference.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Hi Farnhold,

I can honestly say that in the past year I've been getting over my depression. I was depressed about the world and its issues, losing my friends due to some bad decisions I've made, losing my job and my car to poor financial responsibility, and just being a plain screw up. I use to think and think to the point it would make me cry. Its been a long process but let me tell you, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

I turned to drugs and alcohol for an escape but it never did me any good. I felt it just put a band-aid on a bullet wound. There was something deep down inside I was searching for but I didn't know what it was. Then someone opened my eyes about God. Before you judge me, just know that God is different for every person. I want you to get in-tune with YOUR God, YOUR spiritual side, YOUR soul. Stop thinking with your mind, and start acting with your heart. Don't mean to be all flowery and roses but sometimes its just what we need.

Another thing that may help you as it did for me is to watch uplifting movies, or listening to music with substance, or reading self-help books because they can offer advice that could be rewarding. A movie that I recommend is "Its kind of a funny story," with Zach Galifianakis. I feel the message in the movie can do people like us some help.

Finally, a major part of my depression was because I was mad at the world. Mad at the direction our world leaders are directing us right now. When you turn on the news, there is nothing but BAD NEWS. Even on ATS, I would just lurk and keep reading about "What's wrong with the world." I let the information consume me. If this is the case with you, I advise you to take a break from it once in a while. Turn off the TV and go outside. Do ANYTHING but stay home. Walk the park or go to the beach and sit if you have time. One thing I love to do is just ride the bus. No destination in mind, just go. It is sort of a meditation for me. ATS has done a lot for me, it helped me open my eyes to things I would have regarded as "crazy." But sometimes, a break is needed from all this stuff.

Anyways, I hope I helped you with anything. Believe it or not, YOU also helped me. You say that you don't like talking about your problems, well so does everyone else (including me). But I'm learning the more I talk and allow myself to be vulnerable, the more it helps me get to a higher state of being. There are people out there who are just like us, sometimes all we need is someone to listen or talk to. I encourage you to do the same, even if its here on ATS, because you never know where good advice might come from.

Sincerely,

Free Thinker

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I appreciate your words, I really do! But my faith lies in Jesus Christ. I don't know why my mind is messed up on different fronts, but I still put my faith in Him.

However, I do think meditation is a good thing (for me), I only never understood the principles of it. I might check it out.

Thanks my friend!

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by WeZet

i totally agree with your statement,i have a level of depression surrounding the same things,people expect me to do other things that i hate doing instead of what i love and what im born to do because they cant,i also do music and other forms of art, i say either create destroy contemplate or stagnate what do u prefer, i see tons of other people making a living doing music or anything else that makes them happy,why cant i? some say, i need to be realistic,that statement alone proves my point that we have no choice or pursuit of happiness anymore,this system is self policing and self oppressing, and depression in most cases is not a chemical imbalance,its due to certain restraints in life by other people,such as a dog continuously chained in one spot inches away from its calling. i say let everyone pursue what they want instead of expecting them to conform to modern norms such as working for minimum wage for maximum wage efforts like fast food or other services that dont contribute nothing but greed and health problems,wake up people,the cure is right there, do what makes u happy with no fear or regret of what other brainwashed sheeple think and ur depression will drastically lessen,proven by experience

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeZet
reply to post by Akragon

I appreciate your words, I really do! But my faith lies in Jesus Christ. I don't know why my mind is messed up on different fronts, but I still put my faith in Him.

However, I do think meditation is a good thing (for me), I only never understood the principles of it. I might check it out.

Thanks my friend!

Faith in Christ is still faith in God... Do you pray? Its a form of meditation you know

Take a look at that thread on the Kundalini Cobra, that might help you out...

And i'll give you this link...

Reluctant Messenger

Thats a story to help you understand some concepts of meditation...

I'll also add that site is incredible!! You might want to take a look around

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I read all of your stories, all of them are very sad (especially the one about losing son). Sorry to hear that guys
, well, in my opinion, medication is really not the way. Some of you expressed same opinion. I have not taken any medication yet,but I am thinking about going to psychologist. I see no other way... sometimes I even tried to solve it through alcohol, but I would never touch a drug. And I thought of the worst thing possible countless times, mainly for last couple of years, not last year though.
I just want to run away, somewhere where people don't know me, change my name, my identity, appearance, become someone else, start new life...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I suffered from depression decades before it was fashionable diagnosis or there was any significant treatment for it.

One reason for depression is anger and frustration turned inward. It could be troubles growing up as a child, or anxieties later on. After a while this destructive situation affects your body. Think of negative emotions as radioactive waste. Keep enough barrels of it in your psyche, and it will poison you.

Depression tends to run in families. Whether it is the tendency for brain chemical balances to run askew, or just generational dysfunction, or both...you might find others in your family have suffered as well.

I am not totally against pharmalogical help...I took Prozac at my worst time of depression, with near miraculous results. I only stayed on it for four months and weaned myself from it against my doctor's wishes. Once I knew I could feel alive again, I wanted it without the drug.

Your job is to learn how to deal effectively with all lingering emotional 'baggage', if that is part of the problem. Many people have given you good advice (except the illicit drugs and alcohol! bad! bad! bad!) Don't discount that the winter and bad weather might aggravate your low feelings, it sure affects mine.

Exercise, top notch diet, developing your spirituality, getting out in nature, getting to the heart of emotional problems, and remember that the dark sackcloth over your eyes, that darkness you peer through at the world is an illusion...it's a daily struggle to remember to dig yourself out of that black pit, and it can be overcome.

Back off from the conspiracy and doom, get involved in some helpful task that helps others and gets your mind off your slump, even if your heart is not into it. Get up and move around, breathe fresh air, help others. It's hard. It's a lifelong task. It works.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

i think most people want the same thing u want, depression is often a symptom of oppression, the key is to just except who u are and let your inhibitions go,the best way to know urself is to act naturally,i suggest finding ways to make urself useful and needed by way of things that make u happy,i know in depression u lose interest in things u enjoy,but thats also a symptom of discouragement, leading back to oppression

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CUJOCREEP

Yes, I knew this system, but I just couldn't take it anymore. And now, now I'm basicly stuck. I do mainly make music, but I need to go out more, get out of my home. Do another study (music) and get to a big city. Find love, make friends. Good luck!

That's about it. But then again, how will I deal wit hall of this since I'm narcissistic (WITH empathy, note that, it's a common mistake that all narcisstics are the same. I do have the great visions of myself and at the same time lots of shame and an immense need for respect for what I am). I'm an expert at observing human behaviour, looking at what makes people succesfull/attractive.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
These last posts are very true. It can build up for a couple of years, when suddenly you realise life isn't what it was as a child... My painfull realisation: I am not happy. I'm melancholic and nostalgic, I know, doesn't work in my favor. I really got to do fun things now, and turn dreams into steps.

Step by step you can get out of it!

And thanks Akragon!

edit on 20-3-2011 by WeZet because: Sorry for double posting.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

Maybe you should look into cognitive behavioural therapy

One etiological theory of depression is Aaron Beck's cognitive theory of depression. His theory states that depressed people think the way they do because their thinking is biased towards negative interpretations. According to this theory, depressed people acquire a negative schema of the world in childhood and adolescence as an effect of stressful life events. When the person with such schemata encounters a situation that in some way resembles the conditions in which the original schema was learned, the negative schemata of the person are activated.[41]

wiki

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by WeZet

np man

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
It seems that everyone in this thread provided you and others pointers on what you can do and can not do to combat your depresion.

Fortunately for me I have not taken any prescripted medication as I already have some understanding that it will only eliviate the symptoms and provide some relief, but not cure the root cause.

Sure I tried alternative supplements and even staying out of the sun more so that my body can make some Vitamin D. I even tried USA banned notropic drugs, but only to find that most of the internet suppliers are crooked. I even practice daily on my positive mental state right after I wake up, to bring my emotions to its joyfull moment, but we all know that its very hard to even focus once you have an episode.

As you probably already know, everyone will react differently on taking such supplements or excercise. I can provide you on what works for me, but knowing what I just mentioned, I don't know what will work for you. Only you can figure this out.

I have tried:

Sam E, (one that is stable and of good quality) good for your joints and it works to promote overall healthy brain functions, helping to balance our emotions by acting as a mood stabilizer. (very costly)

Omega 3, One with a high concentration of EPA (1000mg) than DHA. When I took this continiously I have constant smile on my face after 3 to 4 days.( I stayed with this for a long time)

Lecithin Granules, with good source of phosphatidylcholine and Inositol (very cheap)

I have taken them all at the same time. However, once I ran out of Sam E, I did not buy anymore as it was way over my budget. So I stick with Omega 3 and Lecithin granules.

Also, I have taken an aromatherapy from Bach flowers:

Mustard: Helps you when you feel suddenly depressed without reason. It feels like a cold dark cloud has destroyed all happiness and cheerfulness. The depression can lift just as sudden for no reason.

Elm: You feel overwhelmed by your work load and matters of life and you feel depressed and exhausted.

Sweet Chestnut: For those moments which happen to some people when the anguish is so great as to seem to be unbearable. When the mind or body feels as if it had borne to the uttermost limit of its endurance, and that now it must give way. When it seems there is nothing but destruction and annihilation left to face.

Willow: Helps you when you have suffered adversity or misfortune and find it difficult to accept. You feel sorry for yourself and are grumble and sulky.

Gorse: When you feel a great hopelessness, you have given up belief that more can be done for you. Under persuasion or to please others you may try different treatments, at the same time assuring those around that there is so little hope of relief.

Gentian: When you are easily discouraged. You may be progressing well in illness or in the affairs of their daily life, but any small delay or hindrance to progress causes doubt and soon disheartens you.

You can google Bach Flowers and you can explore what's it all about.

Remember, this what works for me, I hope you find what works for you. Good luck!

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I Hope this helps:

Just adding some information on Depression in addition to the ones already mentioned by others.

Distorted Thinking Patterns:

All-or-nothing thinking: You see things in black-and-white categories. If your performance falls short of perfection, you see yourself as a total failure.

Overgeneralization: You see a single negative event as a never-ending pattern of defeat. For instance, after an argument with a friend, you may conclude: ‘I’m losing all my friends. Nothing turns out right for me.’

Disqualifying the positive: You reject positive experiences by insisting that they “don’t count” or, “I’m not worthy of such.” By dwelling on a single negative detail, your whole view darkens.

Jumping to conclusions: You arbitrarily conclude that someone doesn’t like you, and you don’t bother to check this out. Or you are absolutely convinced that things will always turn out badly.

Magnification or minimization: You exaggerate the importance of things (such as your own mistake or someone else’s achievement) or play down things until they appear tiny (your own desirable qualities or the other fellow’s imperfections). You make nightmarish disasters out of commonplace negative events.

Personalization: You see yourself as the cause of some negative external event that, in fact, you were not primarily responsible for.

Based on Feeling Good—The New Mood Therapy, by David D. Burns, M.D.

THOUGHTS THAT CAN INCLINE ONE TO DEPRESSION

□ In order to be happy, I have to be successful in whatever I undertake. If I’m not on top, I’m a flop.

□ To be happy, I must be accepted by all people at all times.

□ My value as a person depends on what others think of me.

□ I can’t live without love. If my spouse (sweetheart, parent, child) doesn’t love me, I’m worthless.

□ If somebody disagrees with me, it means he doesn’t like me.

□ I should be the perfect friend, parent, teacher, student, spouse.

□ I should be able to endure any hardship with a calm disposition.

□ I should be able to find a quick solution to every problem.

□ I should never feel hurt; I should always be happy and serene.

□ I should never be tired or get sick, but always be at peak efficiency.

Based, in part, on “Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders,” by A. T. Beck, M.D.

Symptoms of Major Depression

● A depressed mood, most of the day, nearly every day, for at least two weeks

● Loss of interest in once pleasurable activities

● Significant weight loss or gain

● Excessive sleep or the opposite, insomnia

● An abnormal speeding or slowing of motor skills

● Excessive fatigue, with no discernible cause

● Feelings of worthlessness and/or inappropriate guilt

● Diminished ability to concentrate

● Recurring thoughts of ending it all

Some of these symptoms may also indicate dysthymia—a mild but more chronic form of depression

Some Physical Causes of Depression

Medical research has associated the following things with the development of depression in some people:

Toxic metals and chemicals: lead, mercury, aluminum, carbon monoxide, and some insecticides

Nutrient deficiencies: certain vitamins and some essential minerals

Infectious diseases: tuberculosis, mononucleosis, viral pneumonia, hepatitis, and influenza

Endocrine-system diseases: thyroid disease, Cushing’s disease, hypoglycemia, and diabetes mellitus

Central-nervous-system diseases: multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease

“Recreational” drugs: PCP, marijuana, amphetamines, coc aine, heroin, and methadone

Prescription drugs: barbiturates, anticonvulsants, corticosteroids, and hormones. Some medications that treat high blood pressure, arthritis, cardiovascular problems, and some mental disorders

(Certainly, not all such medicines will cause depression, and even when there is a danger, it usually involves a small percentage of those who use the drug under the proper medical supervision.)

Other Possible Causes

“The brain is much more sensitive than other organs to changes in [blood] plasma concentrations of certain nutrients,” stated two Massachusetts Institute of Technology researchers. In Nutrition and the Brain (Vol. 3, 1979), these doctors, Wortman and Wortman, published material that shows the effect of what we eat on our mood and how certain nutritional deficiencies can alter the chemical balance in the brain and produce depression.

Even when regularly eating balanced meals—keeping “junk food” to a minimum—one may still have nutritional deficiencies leading to depression. Some medications, oral contraceptives, such strains on the body as pregnancy, pollution and exceptional stress—all can create nutritional deficiencies.

Allergy to certain foods or to chemical fumes and the hormonal changes in women have brought on depression. Also, one study of 1,100 patients treated for hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) found that 77 percent of these complained of depression.

So there are many causes of depression besides just having a wrong attitude. A seriously depressed person may suffer from any one of a combination of factors. An individual’s heredity and childhood experiences also play a role. All these influences can affect how one responds to a stressful event or environment.

The Role of the Mind

The power of the mind to respond to love has been seen in numerous cases. Conversely, anger, hatred, jealousy and other negative emotions also have been found to produce biochemical changes in the body.

If a person feeds his mind on depressing thoughts—perhaps through television, motion pictures or pornographic literature—this will color his moods and breed depression. Especially if a person regularly spends much time in front of a TV set, this can adversely affect his outlook. But for other persons something else might be at the root of the problem.

Anecdotal evidence: some said that after watching the Pandora movie some felt depressed because the reality did not matched the fantasy they saw in the movie.

Here are some helpful suggestions that others found helpful:

“Prevent It”

“The most important advice I can give is, ‘Prevent it,”’ said one sufferer. But how? There are no easy or sure answers. Some authorities suggest:

1. Don’t build your sense of worth on love, money, social position, power or drugs. The failure of these could be devastating if you do.

2. Set realistic expectations. Aim to do the best you can, but not to be a perfectionist.

3. Recognize the early symptoms (anxiety, panic, inability to concentrate). Check to see if your daily schedule is reasonable. If not, adjust it. Learn to say “No” when necessary.

‘Forget the Things Behind’

Some of our emotional problems may be rooted in the past, especially if we were victims of unjust treatment. Be willing to forgive and forget. ‘Forgetting is not easy!’ you may be thinking. True, but it is better than destroying the rest of your life by dwelling on what cannot be undone.

I always find this helpful – the past is past, we can't dwell on it or else we get stuck in it.

Your Real Value

All factors considered, successfully fighting depression requires having a balanced view of your own worth.

False pride, ignoring our limitations, and perfectionism are all an overestimate of ourselves. These tendencies must be resisted. Yet, avoid going to the other extreme.

Open Up Your Feelings

Putting your feelings into words is a healing process that prevents your mind from trying to deny the reality of the problem or loss and, hence, leaving this unresolved. But open up your real feelings. Don’t allow a sense of false pride, wanting to have an undaunted-by-adversity appearance, to inhibit you.

“Anxious care in the heart of a man is what will cause it to bow down, but the good word is what makes it rejoice,” states Proverbs 12:25. Yet, only by opening up can others begin to understand your “anxious care” and thus give that “good word” of encouragement.

You may need someone who, after several conversations, can offer some short-term goals that will indicate steps you can take to change or modify your situation so as to reduce or eliminate the source of the emotional strain.

I would like include more but don't want to overload you.

Lastly – let me please leave with these thoughts:

The way we feel is influenced by the way we think, the way we think maybe influenced by our experiences in life – bad and good and by faulty “imperfect” reasoning.

Our way of thinking will determine the way we feel. If keep dwelling on bad/negative thoughts then our feeling will be greatly influenced and controlled by that thought.

On the other hand if we think of pleasant memories then our depressed feeling will be uplifted.

So when negative thoughts enters the mind and heart try to think of something positive or do something good that will remove the negative thought from the mind.

Because again, our feeling is greatly influenced by our thinking. If we want to change our felling we must change our thinking.

A quick prayer for help to overcome it is the best solution as it takes your mind off from the thought and at the same gives you the strength to overcome it.

“and the peace of God that excels all thought will guard YOUR hearts and YOUR mental powers by means of Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:7)”

I hope this helps even in a small way.

Thanks,

edmc2

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
People who are depressed are usually deficient in mood-stabilizing serotonin, noradrenaline or dopamine, brain chemicals derived from the amino acids tryptophan and tyrosine.
To make serotonin, your brain needs the essential amino acid, tryptophan, which is found in protein-rich foods like turkey, chicken, cottage cheese, avocados, bananas and wheat germ. Eating more of these foods can certainly help, especially with a small amount of carbohydrate that helps transport this amino acid into the brain. This is one reason why you might crave sugary foods in the evening, when you’re low in serotonin.

edit on 24-3-2011 by meganjo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Try meditation ... Try Yoga..... There are plenty of options for Depression.... But if U feel its getting worse , then contact a Psychiatrist or counselor rightaway.....

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Hi there,

try Falun Dafa and reciting of good words. Seems like you are very flexible, you might have good inborn quality and would benefit from meditation etc.

Links:

www.clearwisdom.net...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Wish you good luck!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I have had many problems, depression being one of them, im also borderline and a few other fun things. medication made me more unstable, i went to various groups which were a waste of time, for the most part me and the others were treated like retards, went through DBT...none of it ever helped me. now i agree with the guy that said to smoke "cough cough" as i found that it helps take the edge of me baseless depression and anxiety, but not for long and it makes me tired. might get banned for this next one but here goes: directionless self destructive path, downward spiralling to madness, but i found a way out, a way to...step outside of my normal perception, awaken myself. basicallly did a ton of acid, rethought myself, my life, now i view things objectively, i know that these feeling of sadness, or whatever it may be, mean nothing. you too will learn to step outside yourself and fight the demons within yourself

good luck on your journey, you will find yourself if you believe you will.

stay away from medication at all costs
edit on 13-4-2011 by _Delysid because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Dr. Mercola

I am currently trying this method. Its only been a day so I will let you know what I think after a few days.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join