It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super moon - why the fuss for regular event??? Why the scare-mongering?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Ok so Brian Cox is a bit puzzled as to all the fuss about the 'Supermoon' and I have to say I am also confusedas to why its got everyone so worked up. This is a regular occurance and when the moon gets 'the closest it has been in X years' it really isn't far of from being as close as it gets every month at its closest orbit to earth.

All these people saying 'this will create tidal waves or earthquakes' really pees me off. Am I the on,ly one who feels that some people cant wait to tell the world that something awful is going to happen everytime an event happens that they arn't familiar with. Then when something of real importance comes along noone listens because all the sensationalists who start the scare-mongering just seem like paranoid loonatics. Granted my source is from the Sun, but many other scientists have also said that there will be no effects on earth and its nothing too spectacular. Althought the moon is very beautiful.

Why are people so ready to believe all this scare-mongering? Its as if peiople want bad stuff to happen.

By BRIAN COX
The Sun's Professor
THE Moon orbits the Earth in a distorted circle known as an ellipse.

'Every month, as it completes an orbit of the Earth, it is sometimes closer, sometimes further away.

Today it will be at its closest point in the month. This happens every month, so what's all the fuss about?

The so-called "Supermoon" - a phrase I detest more than standing on a piece of Lego with no shoes on - has arisen because the Moon is also full at this point. The Moon is beautiful. Take a moment to gaze at it every weekend, not just this one.'

Source : www.thesun.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Because you're on ATS

The world's largest conspiracy website.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Probably because people are seeing the African/Middle Eastern revolutions, the catastrophes in Japan, NZ, Chile, Haiti, etc. and they're scared. Things seem out of control right now. We're all on high alert buying KI pills, trying to foresee disaster and political emergency and the world's a bit more frightening right now than it normally is.

Sort of like the "Mega Storm" over the Pacific. Probably nothing out of the ordinary but we're all a little freaked out right now

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
People that share the "Ring of Fire" with Japan, who just got hit with a 9.0

Are starting to get edgy. We haven't had a quake of any real size in 100 years.

I am not convinced about the theory. However, more than ever people are asking questions.

When, I look out my door and see 5,000 miles of Pacific. It can make you think.

I am not seeing any fear mongering by the locals. Just the online sites.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Lately I have noticed an influx of posters hammering the 'supermoon', 'elenin', 'radiation' and other fear mongering threads. Most of the posters have a post count from 30-300.

Speculation might lead someone to believe it has to do with the information released in the HB Gary emails. Another possibility is the Youtubers that are trying to pull more traffic to their crappy channels...

Edit: Mass hysteria can never be ruled out either. We (humans) have a long history of that...
edit on 19-3-2011 by boncho because: +info

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

But the moon is nothing out of the ordinary though at all? Why pick something that happens every month and exagerate it? Obviously it happens often enough that that we can be sure it wont effect us anymore than normal.

ATS members are very clued up, I even feel intimidated by their supirior knowledge as many newcomers I understand feel, but to see all this wasted energy on these unfounded conspiracy theoires which seem to always come from someone who has very little knowledge and no sources for evidence annoys me.

I saw a very big cloud today, but that doesn't mean that there will be a massive flood. Its just a shame that people seem so over keen to jump onm ideas like 2012 where many people believe it after watching some rubbish, sensationalist doc on youtube.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious
reply to post by Hawking

But the moon is nothing out of the ordinary though at all? Why pick something that happens every month and exagerate it? Obviously it happens often enough that that we can be sure it wont effect us anymore than normal.

ATS members are very clued up, I even feel intimidated by their supirior knowledge as many newcomers I understand feel, but to see all this wasted energy on these unfounded conspiracy theoires which seem to always come from someone who has very little knowledge and no sources for evidence annoys me.

I saw a very big cloud today, but that doesn't mean that there will be a massive flood. Its just a shame that people seem so over keen to jump onm ideas like 2012 where many people believe it after watching some rubbish, sensationalist doc on youtube.

I haven't been here that long either but I've found that a lot of members who've been here longer do believe videos they've seen on Youtube by people like David Wilcock (just check out any of those Project Camelot vids). It doesn't take much to get even some of the senior members all up in arms about something.

Now that certainly doesn't mean most people here are like that - but check out some of the chemtrail threads, there's people there straight up saying "if you say it isn't real you're just sheep perpetuating the lie OR you're an agent of "TPTB." It's amazing what some people will buy in to wholeheartedly...

As for the "supermoon" it's the catastrophe of the week I dunno...

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by clintdelicious
The supermoon doesn't happen every month. The closest approach happens only every few decades, and it really does have a very small effect.

news.yahoo.com...

Thanks to a fluke of orbital mechanics that brings the moon closer to Earth than that it has been in more than 18 years, the biggest full moon of 2011 will occur on Saturday, leading some observers to dub it a "supermoon."...

At its peak, the supermoon of March may appear 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter than lesser full moons (when the moon is at its farthest from Earth), weather permitting. Yet to the casual observer, it may be hard to tell the difference.

The supermoon will not cause natural disasters, such as the Japan earthquake, a NASA scientist has stressed.

In addition, the near coincidence of Saturday’s full moon with perigee will result in a dramatically large range of high and low ocean tides.

It won't cause any earthquakes that weren't about to happen already anyway, but it's conceivable that the tiny bit of extra stress could be the "straw that broke the camel's back" so to speak and help trigger an earthquake that way. It's definitely having a small effect on tides.

And you know what's even worse than fear of the supermoon? At least the supermoon has a small real physical effect on tides, but every year our calander resets from December 31 to Jan 1, and do people fear that? No they celebrate it, but for some reason people fear the Mayan calendar resetting in 2012, there's a whole forum dedicated to it with a couple thousand threads...and unlike the supermoon which is a real natural event, the 2012 is based on just a calendar resetting:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So 2012 is the one to make fun of.

But as someone said, this is a conspiracy site so this is where people come to read about all kinds of conspiracy theories. If you don't like conspiracy theories, this might be the wrong site for you

To me it's a form of entertainment reading all these crazy ideas, though there may be a couple of real conspiracies and you can read about those here too. I just watched a National Geographic documentary about three mile island made in 2004, which said we really were being lied to right after that happened, though we eventually found out the truth...you could call that a conspiracy, so they do happen.

I don't know if this helps provide any insights or not but the title suggests it should:

Michael Shermer: Why people believe strange things

edit on 20-3-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Because you're on ATS

The world's largest conspiracy website.

I don't think that's a fair response.

You can have a conspiracy theory without fear.

Things like the supermoon is borne out of nothing but inducing fear.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I don't think all the threads have been fear-mongering. Some just people sending pictures. I went out and looked at it a little while ago. Pretty cool. Made me think of when I was a kid, we would try to find the face in a full moon.
Actually made me feel peaceful, not afraid.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by maybee

I'm sure that not every poster is fear mongering or even given cause for concern by the fear mongers, I'm certainly not. It's just another of those relatively rare special events and I've been outside with some optical gear having a good look at it because the clouds actually parted here for a change. It really is quite a spectacular sight and also a calming influence for me.

Also Saturn is immediately below the moon tonight with the rings inclined sufficiently for a good view of them unlike it was last year (side-on view of the ring system made it barely a thin line then).

It's just the cosmos behaving exactly as it always has, nothing more, no conspiracy.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
It's not a super moon! It's a super spaceship! And these are the end days, not regular days.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Because most of the people on this is the site are stupid.
This site needs more rationalist/atheist.

top topics

join