It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surgeon General: Buying Iodide a "Precaution"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

www.nbcbayarea.com

The fear that a nuclear cloud could float from the shores of Japan to the shores of California has some people making a run on iodine tablets. Pharmacists across California report being flooded with requests.

State and county officials spent much of Tuesday trying to keep people calm by saying that getting the pills wasn't necessary, but then the United States surgeon general supported the idea as a worthy "precaution."

U.S. Surgeon General Regina Benjamin was in the Bay Area touring a peninsula hospital. NBC Bay Area reporter Damian Trujillo asked her about the run on tablets and Dr.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 15-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline
edit on 3/15/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Don't you just love it when officials go off message?

There seems to be no shortage of conflicting instruction on this point. Frankly, it may be an overreaction, but if they are easily available, why wouldn't you want them?

Incidentally, for those who cant find a source through the pharmacy. Go to an Asian market and get kelp. Some varieties are an excellent source of iodine.

Here's the video that spawned the controversy,

www.nbcbayarea.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15-3-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Does anyone know if this stuff is even good for the human body...?

It wouldn't supprise me if they were selling poison off as a wonder drug for radiation sickness..

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thanks for the kelp idea Loam.
Best of luck to all of us.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Bad form, you changed the title. Should be:

Little difference, but less impact?

Besides, in the world we live in, it is just plain common sense.

edit on 15-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
In all fairness The Surgeon General is neither a nuclear physicist nor a meteorologist, so she was speaking from a medical standpoint that it would be a good idea to have iodine in your emergency kit (especially seeing as stocks are low).

She does not have the expertise to assess if iodine tablets are actually going to be needed. She simply stated that it is a good idea to be prepared.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Two things.

1. People should be cautioned about proper dosing, lest the Iodide do more harm than good. Killing your Thyroid out of "precaution" is not a good idea.

2. My department in Florida had several calls today regarding the state's plan and if we had emergency rations of Iodide in case it is needed (which we do), so it isn't just California, and the emergency planning departments are taking the threat seriously. Out of precaution.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
lol, I doubt there is a source for them right now anyway, I know drugstore.com is out of them until after March 31, so would be little good for this possible event.

As to their safety:

Indications

Thyroid blocking in a radiation emergency only.

Warnings

Potassium Iodide should not be used by people allergic to iodide.

drugstore.com

I'm wondering how much kelp would be advisable to take??

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Found the over 50 multivitamin has 150mg. Don't know what the regular supplement needs to be, but some is better than none. Has a bunch of other elements in it. Supplements can over do other sensitive areas of the metabolism. Like your heart has to have a balance or you run risks of too much of something you don't need.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Got a tabletop version, Sodium Iodine (table salt 45% iodine ) Potassium pills or Bananas. Pectin and Ginkgo Helps also all blue green algae and kelp.

Best of luck

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

No need to scream that with all caps, because if you watch the video... She's not screaming, "RUN OUT AND BUY SOME", she is merely answering a question that the reporter asked. There is plenty of disinfo out there without us having to make it up!

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Why is it all Americans freak out at the smallest thing,

have you looked at a globe, japan in half way around the world.

You have a massive ocean between you.

Stop the panic, go back to buying McDonalds.Get on with your lives

link   

Originally posted by RenoKnows
Got a tabletop version, Sodium Iodine (table salt 45% iodine ) Potassium pills or Bananas. Pectin and Ginkgo Helps also all blue green algae and kelp.

Best of luck

Unless you have a chemistry set, I don't think that is going to work. The difference is "iodide" as compared to "iodine." The Potassium and Sodium Iodine are not going to react in the body to form the necessary Iodide. What you need is dissociated Iodide that will separate easily from the Potassium and be free to bond as a prophylactic in the Thyroid receptors to keep out the more dangerous radioactive material.

I hear Pre-natal vitamins without Iron are a good source of the Iodide if you can't get the real KI.

link   
reply to post by RenoKnows

Iodine in salt, yes. But I discovered regular potassium or what is in potassium chelate, such as what is in bananas and other food sources, are not the same. I need to go do some nutritional research to confirm this, because see post above, they are not one in the same.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Loam, good catch!

I think this is very interesting, considering that by the time this statement went public,
the regular sale is hard to be found.

Consider that perhaps it is The Wall Street Journal that is fearmongering?

Afterall, they are the "news" agency that released this headline last night.

online.wsj.com

Supplies of potassium iodide, a preventive against radiation poisoning of the thyroid gland, are running low at some manufacturers, as Americans seek protection amid fears that radiation from Japan could head to the U.S., according to the companies.

One leading supplier, Anbex Inc., quickly sold out of its supply of more than 10,000 14-tablet packages on Saturday, said Alan Morris, president of the Williamsburg, Va., company.

And who might we ask was the "run on potassium iodide" perpetrated by?

Starting back a week ago, it was.....

Originally posted by zorgon
THIS is where all the other pills went to

Purchasers of iOSAT™ include:
Nuclear Regulatory Commission (11 million tablets)
U.S. Postal Service (1.6 million tablets)
Defense Intelligence Agency (50,000 tablets)
Center for Disease Control ( 2 million+ tablets)
U.S. Navy and U.S. Army
U.S. Dept of Homeland Security

and many other hospitals, nuclear plants, pharmacies and foreign governments.
Purchasers of ThyroShield™ include:

Kuwait Ministry of Health (5.4 Million doses)
U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services(144 million doses)
Dept of Defense and U.S. Dept of Homeland Security

www.nukepills.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheShep4866
Why is it all Americans freak out at the smallest thing,

have you looked at a globe, japan in half way around the world.

You have a massive ocean between you.

Stop the panic, go back to buying McDonalds.Get on with your lives

Americans aren't as dumb as many people believe. It is an image perpetrated by those in power, using the media/technology to brainwash us and turn us against eachother. Facebook is the platform that causes us to censor ourselves through humiliation and public information.

There is nothing wrong with preparing for a worst case scenario, and with a government that holds back all information, it is a valid precaution. I mean the FEMA camps are already there, the jet stream travels east, Chemtrails were seen in Japan hours before the quake, HAARP was online RIGHT BEFORE the quake. Japanese government trying to stay tight lipped on the situation. Aircraft carrier 150 miles out detected radiation. Tokyo experiencing 3 years worth of radiation every hour.

Not saying that we have to worry, but a few basic precautions and community action can prevent panic and extra pain.

Americans are more aware than they ever have been. Also keep in mind, its a big country (almost a continent), not all Americans are the same. In my personal opinion, there's nothing east of the Rockies.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
From my research it seems that children are better suited to taking Potassium Iodide, but over 40 should be wary.
Your thyroid naturally changes with age. I wouldn't take any Potassium Iodide/Iodate yet. Too many risks associated without proper medical advice. Just ask your doctor hypothetically if it would be safe for you to take it, then wait till you see a geiger go off.

But taking Kelp now would be a much safer and precautionary route to take. Still not for hyperthyroids. Can be found in liquid and pill form at any good supplement store. GNC, Whole Foods, etc.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
20+ Years of herbal medicine, I have averted esophageal cancer and testicular cancer with "Blood root, Turmeric and Cumin. I will take my chances with my own knowledge.

But to the people that Have Nothing, this is something.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Bad form, you changed the title. Should be:

Little difference, but less impact?

Besides, in the world we live in, it is just plain common sense.

edit on 15-3-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

But wait, if the OP had done that I wouldn't have wasted my time reading this, thinking it was important.

posted on Mar, 15 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka
In all fairness The Surgeon General is neither a nuclear physicist nor a meteorologist, so she was speaking from a medical standpoint that it would be a good idea to have iodine in your emergency kit (especially seeing as stocks are low).

She does not have the expertise to assess if iodine tablets are actually going to be needed. She simply stated that it is a good idea to be prepared.

Your point is well taken, but under the circumstances it was incredibly idiotic to make that statement.

Just another hack in a long line of failed administrations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join