It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 281
<< 278  279  280    282  283  284 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly
I sure hope this whole quake situation does not
interfere with the taping of ninja warrior..

I love that show.

Yeah, it would suck if all of this death and destruction, people losing everything that have worked for their whole lives, and the environmental and economic disasters interfered with your TV show. God knows you deserve better than this.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ethancoop

Originally posted by zero1020
reply to post by hp1229

If I remember correctly, they tried using robots in Chernobyl but the robots started to malfunction. I have no idea how much radiation it takes to cause problems but I'm sure the entire Japanese government didn't over look robots.

With a technologically advanced country like Japan that specializes in high tech gizoms such as robots I'm surprised they haven't sent something in.

Too early to make a "domo arigato Mr Roboto" joke?

Yes, too early, also; Styx are not Japanese.
This ain't a TV show.
edit on 3/16/2011 by defenestrator because: semicolon

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

If I remember correctly, they tried using robots in Chernobyl but the robots started to malfunction. I have no idea how much radiation it takes to cause problems but I'm sure the entire Japanese government didn't over look robots.

Well i'm sure the technology has advanced much more since Chernobyl when it comes to Robotics along with modern metallurgy and electronics. Are you telling me that to let a remote controlled robot with a firehose inside the building for 1/2 an hour is not do-able?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
250mile from Fukushima
edit on 16-3-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

Would that be toxic snow? I sure dont hope so. What a mess

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Totally agree, Russian/Ukrainian robots from the 1980's vs Japanese robots from 2011, surely they have something that could get in and do something.

I think the standard response from now on when someone says that nuclear power is safe, should be to punch them, doubly hard if a politician.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by defenestrator

reply to post by hp1229

With a technologically advanced country like Japan that specializes in high tech gizoms such as robots I'm surprised they haven't sent something in.

Too early to make a "domo arigato Mr Roboto" joke?

Yes, too early, also; Styx are not Japanese.
This ain't a TV show.
edit on 3/16/2011 by defenestrator because: semicolon

Clearly it's not a TV show, but in 1986 the Russians improvised remotely controlled vehicles during Chernobyl so it stands to reason that the Japanese could do something robotic especially with the advances in technology since then. I'm not talking about a humanoid/cyborg thing but something akin to the robots that assist explosive disarmament teams. You can't strap a hose to one of those suckers, drive it up to an area that needs cooling and spray away?
edit on 16-3-2011 by ethancoop because: pride

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

reply to post by hp1229

Well i'm sure the technology has advanced much more since Chernobyl when it comes to Robotics along with modern metallurgy and electronics. Are you telling me that to let a remote controlled robot with a firehose inside the building for 1/2 an hour is not do-able?

I'm sure it could be done if they had a robot designed and built to carry a fire hose into a random building with the ability to make it's way past obstacles and access doors find the target and hit it. If they had something like that I would imagine they would be using it unless we are to believe these people are capable of building one, but too stupid to remember they have it.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ethancoop

Good observation, I don't know what sort of equipment they have, so I can't say. Anybody in nuclear industry robotics design around here?

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by nghtshd

If there are not exposure suits for humans safe enough for these levels of radiation, it is possible the robots suffer the same fate, I'm not a proficient enough scientist to know anything about that, but I agree it is unlikely the entire Japanese govt. forgot about robots.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by nghtshd

reply to post by hp1229

I'm sure it could be done if they had a robot designed and built to carry a fire hose into a random building with the ability to make it's way past obstacles and access doors find the target and hit it. If they had something like that I would imagine they would be using it unless we are to believe these people are capable of building one, but too stupid to remember they have it.

posted in error, didn't read the whole quote assumed it was mine. oops.
edit on 16-3-2011 by ethancoop because: didn't read the whole quote, and am an idiot.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
This just in from Reuters...

Russia's atomic chief says the nuclear crisis in Japan is developing according to worst-case scenario.

live.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

reply to post by nghtshd

If there are not exposure suits for humans safe enough for these levels of radiation, it is possible the robots suffer the same fate, I'm not a proficient enough scientist to know anything about that, but I agree it is unlikely the entire Japanese govt. forgot about robots.
Well what are the possible effects on a Robot besides the electronics? Can't they use a Hydraulically controlled robot with a 1000 feet long electric cable attached to a generator outside and a firehose attached to a water pump sucking water from outside the plant to operate every few hours. They thought about using Helicopter for crying out loud. Just throwing this out there.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

Key word you didn't pick up on. Improvise.

If only this were a McGuyver episode.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Lunokhod designers were called back from retirement, and in two weeks they produced a six wheel remote control vehicle prototype that was light enough to operate on the weakened roof. Since the original Lunokhod moon rovers used nuclear decay heatsources for internal rack climate control, their electronic systems were already hardened to resist radiation. This benefit allowed the 1986 designers to quickly devise a derived vehicle type for nuclear disaster recovery work. Eventually two such rovers were delivered to the Chernobyl accident zone and proved useful for clearing debris, earning awards for the designers. Due to extremely high radiation levels, all rovers eventually failed, and human workers (later named liquidators) were called in.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Interesting translated to english feed coming out of Japan.

live.nicovideo.jp...
edit on 16-3-2011 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

Forget McGyver. He is old now.

See the link below for the Robotics Test in a Nuclear Radiation Environment.

ROBOTICS_TEST1
ROBOTICS_TEST2

I'm not sure if someone typed what was in this paper in some of the above posts but Here is a Robotics Paper from 2000... See page 48
ROBOTICS_PAPER

There are many articles about Robots in the Nuclear industry on the web.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

ROBOTICS_TEST1
ROBOTICS_TEST2

I'm not sure if someone typed what was in this paper in some of the above posts but Here is a Robotics Paper from 2000... See page 48
ROBOTICS_PAPER

Can we just admit we don't know for certain? Thanks for the links, very sincerely.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

reply to post by hp1229

ROBOTICS_TEST1
ROBOTICS_TEST2

ROBOTICS_PAPER

Can we just admit we don't know for certain? Thanks for the links, very sincerely.

Ofcourse but that is not the point here. We are here to discuss and who the hell knows what politics is being played behind the scene but certainly many times we think the people and the experts know what they're doing but many times that is not the case where a simple solution could have bought them some time or possibly avoid a disaster. At times, the people are so engulfed in the chaos that the blind leads the blind and the entire solution team deviates and starts off to a totally different tangent.

How many times have you said this to yourself "Why didn't I think of that instead of him/her?" after seeing an idea or a solution or a product in the market/infomercial or patents.
edit on 16-3-2011 by hp1229 because: add content.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

The DOE has been research robotic applications in these environments for a couple of decades at the least.

The abstract on this page summarizes a program and was published in 1991.

The report on this page makes for interesting if somewhat dry and technical reading. It was published in 1993 and is an example of a summary report for continuing operations.

Point is, if our DOE is studying robotic applications in arenas such as nuclear reactors, you can be certain the Japanese are as well. Thrye still having sizeable and earth moving aftershocks AND separate earthquakes on an entirely different fault line as discussed in this very important thread and could be the precursor of yet more tectonic releases in the area.

posted on Mar, 16 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by nghtshd

Thats not what I meant at all!

I really enjoy Japanese art which is what ninja warrior is.

People also make a living producing that show.....

ITS HUGE!!

If it came off jerkily not my intent at all..

I just wish this would end....

I don't even watch that much t v but ninja warrior is bomb!!

edit on 16-3-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 278  279  280    282  283  284 >>

join