It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.9 Quake hits off coast of Japan! Live Updates.

page: 107
<< 104  105  106    108  109  110 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
Can't imagine.

www.tsunamis.com...

^^ The URL says Tsunami - fake!

That may not be real at all.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Would the cluster of 4+s seen in the area for the prior weeks be considered foreshocks?

I'd noticed that area seemed to show up quite a bit on my QuakeFeed app and have been watching as the aftershocks pour through.

It seems as this event has and will continue to reverberate seismically throughout the planet for a few days.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by GullibleUnderlord
look at my post above people new 6.5 triggers new tsunami link above

Where is your link? I saw your post but no link. Forgive me if I am mistaken but can you please post a link to this supposed new tsunami?

link   
BBC news Just now..."There are signs that there may be a small radiation leak" Even the internet based sections of the BBc are privy to their lies and attitude based on not telling the sheeple whats really going on.

Respects

link   
ok this is not normal no way ! when does it stop ?

5.2 earthquake, off the east coast of Honshu, Japan. Mar 12 6:41am at epicenter (18m ago, 131km E of Iwaki, depth 10km). j.mp...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
That's one point watching NHK pictures right now. If Japan has subducted, i'd imagine vast swathes of the low-lying areas near the East Coast are now BELOW sea level.

link   
TOKYO — Japan’s massive earthquake caused a power outage that disabled a nuclear reactor’s cooling system, where radiation levels have surged outside the plant, causing officials to expand an evacuation order. Japan’s nuclear safety agency said pressure inside one of six boiling water reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant had risen to 1.5 times the level considered normal.
Hours after the evacuation order, the government announced that the plant in northeastern Japan will release slightly radioactive vapor from the unit to lower the pressure in an effort to protect it from a possible meltdown. Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said the amount of radioactive element in the vapor would be “very small” and would not affect the environment or human health.
“With evacuation in place and the ocean-bound wind, we can ensure the safety,” he said at a televised news conference early Saturday.
After the quake triggered a power outage, a backup generator also failed and the cooling system was unable to supply water to cool the 460-megawatt No. 1 reactor, though at least one backup cooling system was being used. The reactor core remains hot even after a shutdown. The agency said plant workers are scrambling to restore cooling water supply at the plant but there is no prospect for immediate success.

SOURCE

Hopefully everything will be ok, time will tell...

edit on 11-3-2011 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by csulli456

yes give me a min i did in my first post

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Another one on GEE @ 22:02 UTC.

2nd line.

link   
My friend just called me and reminded me of a guest on Coast to Coast a while back that had predicted this scenario...A little research, and it was Ed Dames.

www.coasttocoastam.com...

He originally said this in 2003 as a prediction for a 2005 event, but he has always said that time lines cannot be remote viewed accurately...

link   

Originally posted by csulli456

look at my post above people new 6.5 triggers new tsunami link above

Where is your link? I saw your post but no link. Forgive me if I am mistaken but can you please post a link to this supposed new tsunami?

here you go

Widespread Tsunami Warning is in Effect (Pacific): a tsunami warning is in effect for japan/russia/indonesia/papua new g… j.mp...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by fltcui

Yes, unfortunately such aftershocks are to be expected after a megathrust event like this one. There was a similar pattern of aftershocks after the magnitude 8.8 off Chile's coast on Feb 27 last year, though admittedly they didn't seem to be as bad as this. Things are still very unstable there.

As I mentioned in my last post, one other point of concern is the quakes occuring on the other side of Honshu, as the mag 6.6 - a pretty large quake -- is on or near a fault line between the Amur Plate and the Okhotsk Plate:

Map from OCHA (UN) sourced from reliefweb.int at this link.
For comparison and to have both images in one post, the map below shows where the mag 6.6 is located:

Source: USGS

It seems that the mag 6.2 near Nagano may also be very near that plate boundary or just slightly west of it.

While it's not totally surprising that there has been some acitivity on that side of Honshu, the Japanese people have so much tragedy to deal with already that we can only pray things will not get worse.

Mike
edit on 11/3/11 by JustMike because: Added sources and links for maps.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

fox news is so clueless they still say 8.9 eq
and they are now downplaying the plant situation.

Haha, I know. Why won't they reveal that it's actually a 9.1?

Also, some guy on CNN just made a hilarious mistake...

"This is the worst earthquake in Haiti's history."

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
A SOS sign on CNN.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Can someone tell me about that like 150 mile crack in the Earth? Was that the exact length of it?

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Why post a fake picture? Shame on you.

link   
Ecuador issues tsunami alert; residents evacuated from coastal towns; No flights to and from Galapagos Island on breaking news on twitter

link   
USGS Revised Quake Magnitude To 9.1

"The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake had a moment magnitude of 9.1, revised from an earlier 8.9 estimate, and said it was the largest quake in Japan since record keeping began."

link   
reply to post by xHybr1dx

1940: The 8.9-magnitude earthquake which struck Japan on Friday was the strongest in the area in nearly 1,200 years, David Applegate, a senior science adviser at the US Geological Survey, tells the Associated Press. He says the quake ruptured a patch of the earth's crust 240km (150 miles) long and 80km (50 miles) across.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by xHybr1dx

The CNN anchor Brooke Baldwin also said the tsunami had hit Florida, when she meant California. I guess the teleprompters are having issues.

new topics

top topics

<< 104  105  106    108  109  110 >>

join