It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Seafood Safe?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

I very much appreciate you, and everyone else who is local down there, sharing with us not only your perspective on the oil, but also your understanding of the culture as well. I imagine that it is very divided between the "don't come within 3 feet of a shrimp" people and the "let's eat gulf shrimp for breakfast, lunch, and dinner" people who want everything to go back to normal and are in denial.

I imagine it is pretty hard to "laissez le bon ton roulette" (let the good times roll, for those who have never lived there).

Flag for this thread, and stars to everyone affected by this.

Thank you StealthyKat, and all of ya'll from around there. No way I'll eat anything from the Gulf!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

You're welcome! That is EXACTLY how it is. BTW....today is Mardi Gras Day....so we will party on Garth!
Nothing will keep us completely down!

*raises fist in the air*

au diable les torpilles à vapeur .... en avant toute!

Translation....Damn the torpedoes....full steam ahead!!

edit on 8-3-2011 by StealthyKat because: sp

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

we will only know just how UNSAFE this stuff is in about 10 years when they have connnected it to some kind of birth defect...this reminds me of Chernobyl

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

That is so true. I went to New Orleans many times while my Army unit was at Camp Shelby Mississippi and met so many fine folks and had a blast. Their entire world revolves around the seafood and oil and it was a beautiful life once upon a time. I did a lot of trucking through there too in the 90s and there is no other place in the U.S. like the bayou, it cannot be replaced. I hope it can ecologically heal itself with time. It is so sad and makes me rage so bad...

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

The term thermohaline circulation (THC) refers to the part of the large-scale ocean circulation that is driven by global density gradients created by surface heat and freshwater fluxes. The adjective thermohaline derives from thermo- referring to temperature and -haline referring to salt content, factors which together determine the density of sea water.

en.wikipedia.org...

Not to mention BP & GOM!!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 8-3-2011 by 5 oClock because: Edit!?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Here's another recent article declaring the seafood fit to consume...

Consumers can trust Gulf seafood

As is the case with so many parts of the response to the BP/Deepwater Horizon oil spill, the seafood safety program put in place during this crisis was unprecedented. The system set up to keep tainted seafood out of circulation worked.
At the top of the list for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Food and Drug Administration and the Gulf Coast states has always been ensuring public safety and the integrity of Gulf seafood. Federal waters in the Gulf were first closed to fishing on May 2, and closures increased in federal and state waters as the oil spread.
At the height of the spill, more than a third of the federal waters in the Gulf were closed to fishing. With the Coast Guard, we enforced the closure boundaries, and together we developed and carried out a comprehensive plan for testing Gulf seafood.

and a few more...

Seafood Businesses Welcome Increased Marketing

Pentagon moves to boost Gulf seafood sales

and if you question the position of the Government's assertion?

Scientist Questions Safety of Gulf Seafood

...Subra also said the FDA established unrealistically small portion sizes for risk levels, such as 4 - 6 jumbo shrimp a meal for a 175 lb person.

"The FDA levels of concern do not represent the consumption rate along the coast," said Subra.

But many organizations flat out disregard Subra's concerns.

"We've got one scientist who's been described, her science has been described as junk science by the head person, the head scientist at the FDA," said Ewell Smith, Executive Director of the Louisiana Seafood Promotion and Marketing Board...

FDA is always looking out for the consumers.. aren't they?

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I too am from the area. I have many friends that are recreational and a few that are commercial fisherman. Its kinda a taboo subject around there. While the oil industry is a huge economic force in the area, more people make their living from the water in one way or another, ie, fisherman, restaurants, tourism ,etc. I no longer eat seafood, as most of friends dont either, but your not gonna hear alot of people talk about whether or not its safe, people are already down due to economic conditions nationwide, the locals in those areas are not going to hang themselves by conceeding what everybody already knows

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptSplatter

Thanks for the pic, in this case it speaks louder than words. I will not be eating any Gulf seafood for quite some time and that's really sad because I love seafood, especially Gulf shrimp. I refuse to buy it when it comes from China and Taiwan; no thanks, I really can live without it. I've not been able to find Gulf shrimp in my grocery stores in my neck of the woods so I had no idea it was available.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Let me tell you a tale that will keep you from buying bargain brand (cheap stuff at wal mart) fish.

Last month I bought a bag of the cheap fish sticks. I cooked some of them up one night and fed them to the kids.

not 2 minutes had passed and we realized something was very wrong. the kids love fish sticks, but hated these. I looked them over. The fish was literally gray. I tasted it, and it was the most awful tasting fish I have ever laid tastebuds on. I can't even recall the brand at this point but I feel comfortable saying that I do not believe gulf seafood is safe at this point, and based on the number of slicks that I'm sure have escaped to open water in the Atlantic there is no telling exactly how many fish or other sea life has been contaminated.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Thank you Loki on your insight... a parent that cares and aware..
Very profound don't you think.. this is just one case that should be noted and pass passed on to good News worthy sites.. I don;t think they exist...

Okay, just one! Were here!

Push the mistake.. they will eat it!
Can't afford not to. Greed will have a new taste in the future.

Real soon.. Tuna will be more expensive then Gold, Now there is an Investment.. Sorry not available to those of us that just get by!

Jesse..

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
The Gulf of Mexico fish and seafood should NOT be touched under any circumstances!!! Those who do and those who feed it to their kids are being highly irresponsible!

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
reply to post by CaptSplatter

Thanks for the pic, in this case it speaks louder than words. I will not be eating any Gulf seafood for quite some time and that's really sad because I love seafood, especially Gulf shrimp. I refuse to buy it when it comes from China and Taiwan; no thanks, I really can live without it. I've not been able to find Gulf shrimp in my grocery stores in my neck of the woods so I had no idea it was available.

I think most Pelagic fish like the one I pictured (dolphin AKA Mahi Mahi) should be pretty good by now, but I'm no expert. I just fish a lot and these fish seem to be ok as of lately. That picture was taken when the oil was still really thick near the surface in the Gulf. It was before they sank most of the oil, it is still out there but deeper than most Pelagic species swim now. Grouper and Snapper have been pretty good but I fish for them in more shallow water and most of of them have been oil free( with a few exceptions). Filter feeders like shrimp and oyster are a different story. I would be weary of any shrimp or oysters coming out of LA. I can tell you Apalachicola oysters are good, I shucked and ate about four dozen myself the other day. They were perfect.

Time will tell but I hope the people of America and the World get behind the victims on the Gulf Coast and make BP and the 100 other greedy companies who get rich off us pay. That oil is still out there and is still about 4 feet under the sand on the beaches you walk on. Out of the 20 billion the Gov has made BP set aside they have only used 3.5 billion and that covers clean up and payment to the fisher men and others who have suffered. BP is said to make almost 100 million a month in just interest alone. Even though BP is back in the black and turning profit they continue to make people, businesses, and the environment wait. There are still areas in the LA marsh that have oil on shore, in the grass, and on the fish and BP is nowhere to be found. There are no clean up crews/efforts and all the Media who was never allowed to film in the first place is gone. There is no coverage about it anymore and the aftermath was and will be far worse than the spill.

Pray for the people of the Gulf Coast, they still have a hard road ahead of them.
edit on 8-3-2011 by CaptSplatter because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-3-2011 by CaptSplatter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
How willing are you to believe what the FDA, another government agency, has to say about corexit?

Considering how the Coast Guard, NOAA, National Guard, many police jurisdictions and other agencies are willing to lie to us about the oil spill, and it's effects, all while acting as paid private security for BP......

These few facts I know to be true:
1) Corexit liquefies living tissue
2) the Gulf of Mexico has strong currents
3) the Gulf's currents connect it to the rest of the world

Now i ask you this: How long until the rest of the world's seafood eating populations get to start working on developing chronic effects from corexit?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Here's another related article on the gulf seafood..

Will Mardi Gras Revelers Feast on Gulf Seafood?

NEW ORLEANS -- As the Mardi Gras season descends over the city, the folks in the seafood business are holding their breath to see whether the tourists will, once again, dig fervently into the city's spread of fish, oysters, shrimp and crabs.

"We don't know yet. ... We'll have to see what happens," said Mickey Harrison, the night manager at the Cafe Pontalba, situated near Jackson Square, a landmark park in the heart of the French Quarter.

Approximately 71 percent of consumers still believe that Gulf seafood is not completely safe, according to latest survey done on the impacts of the massive BP oil spill in April. Most of the visitors are arriving this weekend in preparation for Mardi Gras on Fat Tuesday.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
In a related article, four seafood items from the Gulf of Maine will be branded.

pressherald.com

...That's the goal behind a new symbol created by a consortium of seafood processors, the fishing industry and the Gulf of Maine Research Institute to create an identifiable "brand" for four species of seafood that are sustainably harvested in the Gulf of Maine.

In cooperation with Hannaford Supermarkets, those four species -- cod, haddock, lobster and northern shrimp -- will be sold with a special label saying they have been "Responsibly Harvested" in the Gulf of Maine...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Good point JackKatMtn..

I'm certain that in time, any Fish,or others speicies, will come from Inland Lakes... for awhile! that won't be of concern to consume.
With what has just happen Yesterday, Today... alot will change..
Let's Pray/focus or whatever, on the threat with the Japans Nuclear issues... we can't afford that Sh$$ in the Ocean..

Damn.

Price of food just went up.. seafood that won't be toxic... Gold will look cheap.
I trust they will cool those Rods... otherwise I recall Russia.. That was on dry land still today worthless.

Be Wise, Be Well..
Jesse

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I ate some shrimps just a few days ago and it tasted as sweet and great as ever to be honest with you.

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

I'm sure it was an moment of enjoyment...

One can hope the same taste will continue...

I always wish to be corrected if what I feel does not hold truth.

Very few times has that happen.

With that I've seen,felttttttt alot of Greif..

Be Wise, Be Well!

Jesse

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I wouldnt, oil should stay in the ground, not sucked out like it was a lipo suction session.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Has anyone pointed out yet that seafood wasn't really safe to eat even PRIOR to the recent BP disaster?

The gulf has been filled with crap for decades, has it not?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join