It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA pulls more than 500 drugs off market

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

www.stltoday.com

The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday ordered the removal from the market of more than 500 prescription drugs used to treat colds, coughs and allergies because the medications had never gone through a federal review of their safety and effectiveness.

"We don't know what's in them, whether they work properly or how they are made," Deborah Autor, the director of the office of compliance in the FDA's drug division, said in a telephone news conference on Wednesday morning.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Seriously FDA... EPIC FAIL.

How many people they killed or injured by those?

And WHO THE HELL was in charge when it happened? Who let that happen?

Was the FDA BRIBED to ``look the other way`` while this happened? Some people at the FDA needs to go to jail over this. But since this is America, and this is the government, nobody is going to go to jail for their crimes...

www.stltoday.com

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Sounds like somebody stopped paying the FDA their "protection insurance" and now the FDA is breaking legs.

They dont care about poison on the shelves or safety. They care about money and laundering political bribes and kickbacks.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

most drugs that fail in the states due to harmful reactions or serious injury just get renamed and moved over seas to europe, one specifically comes tomind that was rejected then sent to france i will try to find it but it is extremely sickening.

s&f

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Hrm... If you read the article you would know that there weren't any reports of death etc... That's the reason these slipped by for so long.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Here is the full list of drugs being pulled.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
You know I never take a prescribe drug without first looking for information on side effects and complain, yes this makes me very unpopular with my doctors but so beat it, is my health no theirs.

Big pharma is getting very sloppy with their drugs, and this is killing people, they are in the business of making drugs for treatments they don't have to cure anything just have as many people hook on their poison for life as possible.

People needs to understand that fact, you are a number in their profit books nothing else.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

www.stltoday.com

The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday ordered the removal from the market of more than 500 prescription drugs used to treat colds, coughs and allergies because the medications had never gone through a federal review of their safety and effectiveness.

"We don't know what's in them, whether they work properly or how they are made," Deborah Autor, the director of the office of compliance in the FDA's drug division, said in a telephone news conference on Wednesday morning.

Translation - "We do not have a commercial interest in the companies manufacturing them so they are off the market. Also, evidence suggests that some of these medicines may actually work...and we can't have that now can we"

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by Vitchilo

Hrm... If you read the article you would know that there weren't any reports of death etc... That's the reason these slipped by for so long.

I've read it. You do know that governments, especially the freaking FDA, lies all the time uh?

FDA corruption killed thousands of people over the years.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Yes, epic fail but they have some realities to face and some excuses. And, yes, Big pharma may be evil, and the FDA may be in their pockets, but there are many drugs out there that are not tested for efficiency and safety. So maybe it's a bad thing, but maybe it's a good thing too in some ways?

The Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1938 required that a drug be considered safe. The Drug Efficacy Amendment was enacted in 1962. Hundreds of drugs made between 1938 and 1962 were not caught by the 1962 regulation, and it is these drugs that are primarily being pursued by the FDA's Unapproved Drugs Initiative. (List of laws here and here.)

The FDA has been working on getting unapproved drugs off the market for a while now. here's one article from 2006:

Why doesn't the FDA just pull all unapproved drugs off the market? "It's a resource-intensive process," so the agency must focus on potentially dangerous drugs, Autor says.

So they [i[have had a priority list (most deadly and most damaging first, maybe, or as clusters of bad effects were discovered) and have been working it as money and time allow.

Do you realize how many doctors prescribe, pharmacists fill prescriptions for, and people take drugs that they have no idea are not FDA approved? Lots. These drugs are in the PDR and even appear online on many reference sites for both professionals and patients, and it's never mentioned that they are not FDA approved. So a person might be perfectly justified in assuming that a physician who prescribes them a drug is aware of all the drug's ingredients, side effects, interactions, and FDA status. That could be a deadly assumption.

Just saying it might not be wise to immediately jump to the conclusion that this is all "bad" or all being done "because someone didn't pay someone." There may be some very good reasons the FDA is doing this too.

edit on 3/3/2011 by ~Lucidity because: corrected PDA to PDR...oops!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Do you realize how many doctors prescribe, pharmacists fill prescriptions for, and people take drugs that they have no idea are not FDA approved? Lots. These drugs are in the PDA and even appear online on many reference sites for both professionals and patients, and it's never mentioned that they are not FDA approved.

Hmmm, the primary publishers of the reference used by physician's (as if the bible) and some patients does not deem it necessary to reflect the drug's status in the regulatory system? Sounds like the PDR is not a "reference" at all, but a marketing tool, to me. Which means physicians, whose ostensible raison d'etre is the health of their patients, should have demanded a reference listing which actually was a 'reference' tool; not a high priced encyclopedic advertising vehicle for Big Pharma.

But since the FDA is manned by politically appointed former and future Big Pharma employees, it kind of goes along with the whole travesty of for profit health care.

edit on 3-3-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Sounds that way to me too. It's a big barrel of snakes, that we probably haven't even touched on here. I think we do need regulation, but we need sane regulation that's not corrupt (ha), and there is clearly some out-of-control stuff going on out there. Maybe this is a step in the right direction? I'm going to try to remain optimistic that they are making some progress. Awareness, as always, is key.

[P.S. Thanks for pointing out I PDA'd where I should have PDR'd. Fixed it.]

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I didn't even notice the PDA thing!
I read it as "PDR"!

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
If you look at the list of drugs most of these contain the ingredients that they use to produce meth. I think this is a way to pull this from the public and make it harder for the average citizen to get access to this type of med to help stop the cooking of meth. If everyone has to get cold medicine from your doctor as a controlled substance that would at least slow down a lot of the making of meth by local individuals. Again most contain pseudophed and we have been taking that for years?? I think this is their way of making the people think they are doing something for our good. But in he long run you will pay more because cold meds will now have to doctor prescribed instead of just going to the store and getting some over the counter. I know here where I live they already make you ask the pharmacists for the cold meds as they have an empty box on display and you can only buy one box at a time.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
most of those compounds are over the counter. they are just generic brands that havent paid their dues.

nothing wrong with the substances themselves.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tinkytink1207

pseudoephedrine has been controlled since 2003. the issues are with the companies producing the compounds not the compounds themselves

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Do you realize how many doctors prescribe, pharmacists fill prescriptions for, and people take drugs that they have no idea are not FDA approved? Lots. These drugs are in the PDA and even appear online on many reference sites for both professionals and patients, and it's never mentioned that they are not FDA approved.

Hmmm, the primary publishers of the reference used by physician's (as if the bible) and some patients does not deem it necessary to reflect the drug's status in the regulatory system? Sounds like the PDR is not a "reference" at all, but a marketing tool, to me. Which means physicians, whose ostensible raison d'etre is the health of their patients, should have demanded a reference listing which actually was a 'reference' tool; not a high priced encyclopedic advertising vehicle for Big Pharma.

But since the FDA is manned by politically appointed former and future Big Pharma employees, it kind of goes along with the whole travesty of for profit health care.

edit on 3-3-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

The PDR is the go-to tool for doctors, nurses, technicians, pharmacists, law enforcement and more. There is not much to compare it to. Every drug on the market is explained in painstaking detail with full color photos for each size, shape and dose the drug is manufactured in. If an independent press made such a thick detailed book with images that was sold to a limited specialty marketplace the cost per book would be scathing.

You are right, the basis of the PDR does appear self-serving. I'm just glad that doctors do have such books made available to them free or at low cost. Doctors are indeed marketed to. Those magic prescription pads is what makes or breaks sales.

Ever notice how unique and heavily stylized the prescription drug TV commercials are? Intense colors, lots of colorful motion, the whole nine yards. Advertising is one thing, but BigPharma's madmen are mind controllers without shame. I pity the thousands of doctors that have to put up with patients whining on about medications they saw advertised on TV day after day. There is no escaping the big push.

I dislike seeing the merry-go-round of non-approved miracle weight loss pills & what-not that are advertised on TV heavily for a year before being pulled off the market. Then the product is advertised by name by 1-800 and Mall lawyers for two years because so many people were damaged by the product.

Meanwhile, some other magic weight loss bar or powder is being advertised heavily, and you know whats coming. Our fearless leaders in Washington DC don't give a damn about what people put in their mouths unless it means money in their pockets.

You'll notice the same sell it big and lawsuit later trend with female contraceptives. Seems like they are always being pulled from the market and left to the lawyers. Meanwhile a number of women suffer horribly - this should never have happened.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
"""FDA corruption killed thousands of people over the years. ""

Millions, not thousands.

Look up the FDA DrugFActs website for Flexiril. During clinical tests it killed all the rats when used over 2 weeks from their livers being destroyed. Yet how many people have been prescribed that stuff for over 2 weeks?

The Federal Govt. forced Purdue Pharma to reformulate Oxycontin because somehow "4 million Americans were illegally procuring them, chopping them up and snorting them". How the heck did 4 million Americans illegally get Schedule II narcotics? Anyways they forced Purdue to reformulate it. Now the medicine is encased in a waxy substance so they can't be snorted. Problem is people noticed their bodies no longer absorb the narcotics. The "NEW" Oxycontin hit US market in the 4th quarter of 2010. You can tell if you have the new pill, it's fatter.

How many Americans DIED because their prescribed narcotic Oxycontin no longer works?

Hundreds of thousands likely from that alone. From the extreme pain they'd experience organ failure and death would be deamed.....Liver Failure...Kidney failure....but they'll never tell the truth that they died because they got a Placebo narcotic. Poor Americans with Cancer....what a horrible death they are enduring right now.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

It's sick. The whole generic thing is out of control too. There's got to be a better way.

I was prescribed a sinus medication in 1999 (that just happens to be on this list). It was the first medication I had taken of any sort in 15 years. When I took the first pill, my skin literally crawled from head to toe for four hours, particularly the head, necessitating a trip to the ER. Six weeks later, all my hair fell out in one day. I know the drug is what did it. No doubt in my mind, but no physician or pharmacist or lawyer would even discuss or comment. One pharmacist I met on my quest told me "off the record" that he'd seen this before, but of course it couldn't be proved, and now I suspect we know why—the FDA never "tested or approved" it. I was told that it was being removed from market in 2000 because it caused strokes and heart attacks, but now I see it's still on the list of the 500. This is really confusing.

How many other things "can't be proved" because of lack of testing and documented results?

Another thing about this whole issue is that while on the one hand we have non-FDA-approved drugs out there freely circulating, the FDA also has the "power" to keep potentially life-saving drugs away from people. Why? Due to potential lawsuits? Give me a very big break. Just have these terminal patients sign a waiver and give them the drugs if they want them.

The world of pharma/FDA is a crazy freaking situation that clearly needs some huge reform and overhaul.

edit on 3/3/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
I was prescribed a sinus medication in 1999 (that just happens to be on this list). It was the first medication I had taken of any sort in 15 years. When I took the first pill, my skin literally crawled from head to toe for four hours, particularly the head, necessitating a trip to the ER. Six weeks later, all my hair fell out in one day. I know the drug is what did it.

I avoid medication - I have for 20 years and would only take something if my life was being threatened already. I have managed to get over every cold, headache, infection, pain and flu without them and this is why.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join