It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans are Stupid, Lazy, Ignorant, Xenophobic, Self Absorbed, and Narcissistic!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Well, we never traveled abroad because we never could afford it. My husband and I were always too busy working to make ends meet while we were raising our children. Texas is a huge beautiful state with lots to see and Arkansas and Oklahoma are beautiful states as well. With all this surrounding us, I don't feel the least bit deprived.
I don't see Americans as stupid or uncultured....if that was true, there wouldn't be so many people trying to get to U.S.A.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReRun
reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

...from a country that has a past time of shooting each other ...

Yea , we all just hang around waiting for someone to come along that we can shoot , because that is our favorite way to pass the time ! Boy , talk about an ignorant perception of something that you know nothing about .

Between 1987 and 1990, David McDowall found that guns were used in defense during a crime incident 64,615 times annually.[60] This equates to two times out of 1,000 incidents (0.2%) that occurred in this time frame.[60] For violent crimes (assault, robbery, and rape), guns were used 0.83% of the time in self-defense.[60] Of the times that guns were used in self-defense, 71% of the crimes were committed by strangers, with the rest of the incidents evenly divided between offenders that were acquaintances or persons well-known to the victim.[60] Of all incidents where a gun was used for self-defense, victims shot at the offender 28% of the time.[60] In 20% of the self-defense incidents, the guns were used by police officers.

(Wikipedia)

Yea , we're all just a bunch of gun-totin' cowboys over here .

So tell me , how many times have you had the pleasure of stocking your freezer with meat that you acquired by hunting with a firearm ?

I've did it hundreds of times , and guess what ? I've never shot anyone in my entire life .

But it's nice to know that if someone breaks into my home and puts my family at risk , I have the power to stop them in their tracks . Chances are , they will leave without me having to fire a shot .

But if they're stupid enough to advance with a gun pointed at them , all bets are off .

Okay, I admit it, my statement wasn't aimed at hunters like your goodself but at those gangs who wander around the streets gunning each other down. We have a similar problem with gangs with guns here but everyone found to own an unlicensed firearm goes directly to jail for three years. I think legitimate gun ownership is okay.. I just think that illegally bought firearms are so easy to get in the USA that gangs are now importing them into Blighty.
However, I take your point about owning a gun to hunt... No offence meant. Sorry.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by grumpydaysleeper

Hello neighbor ,

I live in Oklahoma and have lived ALL OVER the great state of Texas . I can throw a dart at a map of Texas , and chances are , I have been there .

We vacationed last year in San Antonio and Corpus , and we are thinking of Texas as a destination again for this year .

Have friends and relatives all over Texas . My paternal roots are in Mt. Pleasant .

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by II HAL II

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is other than to start a flame war.

Two things.

1. There is still an air of anti-Americanism all over the World, even among our allies and closest friends. And it's not just anti-American in the sense of our government, our economics or foreign policy.. most of it has to do with this perceived notion as to how "all" Americans act. Usually it can be summed up as fat, ugly, loud, obnoxious, ignorant and poorly dressed. Baggy cargo shorts, sandals with knee-high socks, a fanny pack and unbuttoned shirt.

2. Nationalism is looked down on, and considered politically incorrect.. and this isn't just an American thing either, it's an all over the World thing. I'm American, I'm proud to be an American and I'm proud of what my country has to offer it's citizens. Despite it's issues, it's a wonderful country and a beautiful land. The same can be said for every other country.. but for some reason in the past few decades.. to say you're proud to be British.. or French .. or Dutch etc etc is looked down on, considered backwards. For Americans we not only have to fight the stigma of other countries, but our own people as well. To be say I'm proud to be American there are many who would instantly categorize me as some wood dwelling hick who lacks the intelligence to see "beyond borders" .. we are supposed to be everything to everyone all over the world and accept anyone and everyone into our country because we are "Humans" .. national pride is looked down on. IMO anyways. And again, I don't think it's a problem exclusive to America, but much of the Western World.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

No offence meant. Sorry.

No problem , apology accepted .

And yes , illegal firearms and gangs are indeed a problem over here , but that doesn't make all of us a bunch of gunslinging cowboys .

Illegal firearms , gangs , and other criminal elements is why I keep handguns in the house .

Deer , elk , antelope , rabbit , squirrel and (bigfoot)
are why I keep long-guns .

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
...so, it was a brit who called ALL usofers stupid, lazy, ignorant, xenophobic, self-absorbed and narcissistic, huh?... he forgot homicidal, suicidal, alcoholics, drug addicts, fantasy freaks, wife beaters, kid beaters, pedophiles, psychopaths, racists, bikers, drag racers and nascar fans...

...i dont give a hoot what one arrogant brit thinks about all usofaers... he's entitled to be as big of an idiot as he wants to be - and - i bet ya a quarter that he's often an idiot... probably talks like he has a mouthful of marbles too...

...i've never wanted to travel to africa, asia, europe, aussieland or anywhere else... nothing over there i wanna see in person... lived in bermuda during the early 60s... it was a pretty place - great memories - but i have no desire to go back...

...been all over the states, southern canada, northern mexico... if i suddenly get rich, lol - belize and peru, here i come but just for a good snoopin... the best part of every trip is the ride home...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I like Brits and mean no disrespect, but Britain isn't even as big as Colorado. If I had to use a Passport to drive to a neighboring state I'm sure I would use it just as much if not MORE than anyone in Europe. This is really an "Apples" and "Oranges" comparison.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I completely agree, but this should have said "humanity is...."
Sorry for the one line response.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Just a thought on the subject. Let's suppose the average person is able to travel from the time they are 18 years old and they could continue to visit places once a year every year until they , well , die. That roughly equates to 68 trips at about a week long. There are enough places to visit in North America alone to easily cover all those trips and a week would not do any of those destinations justice as you would have to miss key places in the area you are in because there is so much to experience. Take Ontario for example, Go to Niagara falls one day, go to see the Leafs the next,vist the CN tower and The Royal Alexandria one day and go to the ROM the next. Go to Canada's Wonderland the next, head down to Marineland the next day. On the seventh day you get ready to go home or use the last day before you fly away to see the Eaton Center or Square One or even Yorkdale Shopping Center or even Woodbine Center where you could also take in a day of horse racing. All this is easily in the Greater Toronto Area, you did not go east towards Ottawa yet. Much more to see, do and experience here alone. I guess my point is, Europe et al, needs to get over itself if they think we are not getting " cultured" because we are not going there, they already " cultured" us because they all immigrated here. The only thing missing is the castles'

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Eh.. that Brit was just stupid. I would say we would travel a lot more if we could just hop in a train and visit several different countries.

We have two options. I have visited one of those options.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ReRun

I love Oklahoma...there is nothing more beautiful to me than "Beavers Bend"!
I know Mt Pleasant, Tx ! Nice town and nice people, My oldest grandson was born at the hospital there and my son-in-law drives a truck for "Pilgrims"
I love their Chinese Food Resturaunt and it's a great place to shop!

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Where I live in America there are people from all over the world. We are blessed with being able to eat the cuisine found in most countries whether it is at a religious or ethnic festival or restaurant. There are areas so occupied by people of a given background that it is hard to find a store name or sign in English. The commerce of the world is available on our shelves. In populated areas foreign films and other aspects of non-USA culture are readily available.

In short time I can be at a Oktoberfest with delicious German beers, wursts and oom-pah bands in New York states beautiful Catskill Mountains, dining on most any food I can think of in Manhattan, or partying with some foreign exchange students at the New Jersey shore. Living near a corner state border, I have quick easy access to whatever interests me in Pennsylvania, too.

If you go to Japan you mostly see Japanese people and culture. You can replace Japan in that sentence with many countries and you will find similar results, mostly natives. When you come to America you can see everyone.

Travel may be easier for many non-Americans because (to the best of my knowledge) in most other countries people speak their native language and English. When I was in school we were not even given the opportunity to begin to learn foreign language(s) until Junior year. For our non-American friends, Junior year of high school would be 11th Grade in a system where you graduate upon finishing your Senior year, or 12th grade. Then you may go on to college / university. Students need to begin learning languages when they are still children, not 16 or 17 years of age.

I find travel to be very uncomfortable and trying; it makes me feel like I'm cattle or luggage. Some people travel very well and thrive on the hustle and bustle of it all. More power to them

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by habfan1968
Take Ontario for example, Go to Niagara falls one day, go to see the Leafs the next...

Go see the Leafs lose, you mean...I thought you were listing the high points.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I´m sorry, but even when I don´t agree with the adjectives on the title, most of the posts have confirmed the self-centered and etno-centered part. You have lived all your life hearing that there´s no need to go outside your country, because you have everything there, Because your country is the best of the world.
But even when it is true that traveling is no obligation, despite the wonderful views, you don´t have the hundreds, thousands of years of culture and magnificent buildings, and deep buried cultural roots europeans, asians and Latins have.
Maybe because you are in the middle of your own culture, you just can´t see what the rest of the world sees, and what the rest of the world finds amazing about visiting other great cultures.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

You forgot obese.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Good thread, I agree with a lot of it. The only thing that annoys me is how other nationalities label us americans by what they see on tv. Yeah, our country has a lot of problems but so does every other country. I have no problems with the british, as for the ignorant ones who verbally attack us shouldn't complain because we didn't have to save their a$$'s during WWII. No offense intended just stating my opinion.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

What's to see " Over There " ? European Culture has been Sanitized by massive Immigration these last 20 years . You Tour Europe nowadays and all you see are Arabs............Ahem.........;_"

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Ahh travelling to see rainforests, deserts, pristine beaches, rain smothered atmospheric cities, hot dry spells and beaches to quell the heat, wonderful people, seas of the best swimming, diving and fishing, strange animals, the best coastal lines...

Yep, I'm staying in Australia.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   

If I lived in a country that was small and had foreign borders less than 3 hours away in every direction I would probably travel more. But for me its 9 hours to mexico and 2 days to canada. If I could hop on a high speed rail train and be somewere else in a few hours I would probably take advantage of that. My lack of travel has nothing to do with being fat, dumb or lazy, but has everything to do with cost and time. I have been to europe, wasn't that impressed, reminded me of America but with older buildings and more history.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

Originally posted by leaualorin
reply to post by mblahnikluver

You're an exception!
RARE one!

So what exactly has Romania contributed to the modern world aside from toothless, illiterate gypsies and squalid poverty?

See what happens when we generalize?

WELL, do your search IF YOU DON'T KNOW EVEN THAT...
I am not going to mention anyone of the bright romanian scientists, inventors , doctors , although some say that even NIKOLA TESLA was actually a romanian (Nicolae Teslea > Tesla in romanian means a tool , so considering the name is HIGHLY PROBABLE of romanian origins... PLEASE SHOW SOME RESPECT FOR THE ROMANIANS ! here's a link for a TESLA tool www.depozit-online.ro... ) .
Gipsies are not a part of the romanian people!
They just invaded this country as the tatars did!
Also do your homeworks in the "history department " before saying anything about romanians!
Americans are as the title says it!
Well , at least 99% ...
That's why the USA has such bad name in the world!
Because YOUR SATANIC "LEADERS" / CRIMINALS just used you , the american people , all along , gave you all you wanted just so they can do whatever they whant with the world considering the military power and budgets that are ACTUALLY PAID BY THE AMERICAN CITIZENS !
Yes , you americans, every citizen of you , PAYS FOR THE WARS THAT USA IS HAVING ALL OTHER THIS TRASHED UP WORLD!
Without all of you the world would be A LOT BETTER PLACE!
Believe me!
USA= SATAN itself!

edit on 3-3-2011 by leaualorin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join