It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britian and the rest of the world. Is this a better idea than protesting???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

ok man i'm not trying to be crass, selfish or uncaring. i care very much for every living brother on the planet thankyou.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It is a good idea, but not feasible for all of the reasons already mentioned.

What we need is a national strike. This will have to include a large percentage of workers for this to have the desired effect, but it would certainly bring the economy to its knees and the Government would have to listen.

I appreciate that some sectors are unable to strike, but they could always call in sick and self certificate for a week.

The large majority of this country have not yet felt the implications of the swingeing cuts made by the government, without a mandate from the people. Once the ripple effect is felt come April/May then I really believe that more and more people will support this.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
have you considered a public bill? a public bill could be submitted with enough support to install a majority of parliamentarians from a random generator selected from all citizens who are eligible. then parliament would at least be more balanced.
f

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I just wrote an essay for this thread... when my PC crashed and I lost it all.... I'll try to re-iterate with the original sentiment.

The OP has good intent, I believe. The concerns raised are not due to the fact he/she doesn't want to pay taxes, but as Sherlock stated, the misappropriation of those taxes which all seem to 'trickle up'.

The tax system should be in place to improve NHS facilities and medical staff training, to better equip schools to teach practical, real-world skills to the youth, and for the general betterment of social housing, transportation, waste management and welfare, where it's genuinely needed. Instead our taxes are used to fund 2 (+) illegal wars and the Trident Nuclear 'deterrent' system.

You can write to your MP all you like they don't give a damn about you. You can't ensure their retiremtn is more than comfortable. Corporate elitists, with enough legislative change to ensure they stay rich, can.
We have an elite who accuse us of being 'addicted to borrowing' because the financial sector made some bad decisions and, most, should have been bankrupted.

They are also aware that interest, on both printed monies (paper and ink - yes, it grows on trees!) and on loans which consist of 90% made up numbers which were never printed, could never be paid back. So, to ensure all the money circulates at the top echelons of society they will take as much as they can at every opportunity, redistributing only where it is guaranteed to come back up.

But the problem doesn't end with ousting our government. The problem of mis-schooling, the false creation of enemies through religion and the stifling of medical advancement are the major concerns I have for my childrens future - not mine, I gave up on that a long time ago, but will fight, to the death, for theirs.

In medicine, whenever a true cure is found it is replaced by a supressant which allows for greater profitability over time. This has been seen time and time again where funding is stripped for genuinelife saving research in order to halt the progress of wonder drugs. All things in nature can be balanced. Except, apparenlty, our finances. After all, we need to make sure GSK, Baxter and the other huge Pharma's - and charities - don't miss out on their share of British £billions this year.

In education we do not teach real world skills anymore. The lies surrounding sciences and history to show the 'victors' or 'heroes' as those who promoted the ideals of an elite society (why is Tim Flowersnot a recognised hero... look up the origin of the apple logo), the debate surrounding religious, economic and military morals and ethics only serves to further dilute the pot, leaving more questions than answers which unlike promoting the kind of critical thinking any sociology major would claim to exude, only perpetuates the myth that we really need 'something' to rely on, because we're all far too stupid to remove profit from the equation and work things out based on resources... right?. And they need this to ensure we quietly comply with their immoral taxation and distribution of wealth. We do not.

Finally, don't be fooled into thinking that whats happening in the ME isn't a direct intervention of our governments (what the media refer to as 'western') in order to democracise these places in the fashion we have become accustomed to. It's much easier to lie to and steal from people who believe they have had a part in the 'selection process' of their 'leaders'.

Only when you see the big picture for what it truly is can you begin to imagine what the world could be like without the need for parliament, and false leadership, corporate dominance and capital slaying of true democracy. I still have hope that the youth are waking up. I have faith in mankind and when needed you can call on me.

I'll speak later about my own idea's for a 'silent' revolution... for the mean time, good night.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Many of the people now protesting in other countries, like Libya and Egypt are looking toward a standard that western europe currently enjoys, unfortunately, that standard is in part provided by those people, and others elsewhere in the world who work for a pittance. We all know this....go into your local supermarket,(you know who they are) and buy a pair of jeans for £7! How much of that £7 went to the person that made them up? that's is real inequality for you. Your Mum probably spends as much on breakfast for 2.1 kids etc; as these people make in a month. If you want to protest, this is what a protest should be about. But we don't think like that, only our own current condition, and how to make IT better. We are all hypocrites, both the old and the young.
edit on 1-3-2011 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

I agree 100% with your thoughts. We here in the UK are forever slagging off the french. But if their workers get crapped on. Then all the french are out in the streets protesting. There again they topped their royalty. Whilst we here in the UK, take it up the jackie from them every time. Its as you say, all the partys are really one party. The party to screw the workers. I cant believe that we are allowing them to butcher the NHS, which was part of our rewards, for laying our lives down in the millions in their silly wars. Same with the houses electric and water and gas. Thery were all owned by us the people, then the torys `` maggie`` sold it off to the rich. Now they are not even owned by british companys.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

well said (again)
good night pr0t0 look foward to hearing your ideas

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwannaseethisshipgodown
Real freedom is the goal not this fake # we pay for, come on britian lets revolutionise this island.

Revolutionise to what exactly? I have a feeling that your idea of society will differ from mine and the last thing I will want is the nation run by people who think the world’s ills can be cured by not paying taxes / taxing the banks etc…

I think Britain is somewhat different from these despotic regimes. If you don’t think there is a difference do some travelling. See the world and stop complaining.

PS, you have mispelt Britain. A small point, I know.

Regards

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

i think most people appreciate that we need to pay some taxes for services infrastructure and not sure what society you want but i would imagine most people want a fair, honest society, just a thought that if we had a government that actually governed properly and spent our tax money wisely then we wouldnt have to spend as much of our earnings in tax then we could afford to pay a little more for our goods that could be made in the uk at the slightly higher costs than china/india ? and surely taxing people less would inevetibly put more money in our pockets so would generate more turnover for the economy

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
britains political machinery is too big and too well oiled for an attempt at revolution. all areas to disrupt this state of play have been boxed off. protests turn to violence, are broadcast and the populus see how unpleasant the whole excercise is. dissent and refusals to pay required taxes will lead to individuals being picked off and criminalised. think about it. the government has instruments in law to stop dead any sedition in it's tracks. the only solution i can see is to change the system from the inside. i would say some 500 mp's and the numbers in the house of lords as a representation of society doesn't really cut it. more representation is required from society. the house of commons imo was hijacked a long time ago from it's true intent of representing the populus. the balance shifted to the interests of big money first then the concerns of the people next. to change the system from the inside, it is possible to introduce a bill by overwhelming numbers and install an instrument/statute requiring parliament to open it's doors to a wider representation of society. politicians will not consider this idea because it could destabilise their tenurship. to have say a two thirds majority in the house of commons made up from the whole of society would be a step in the right direction. one could even take cameron to book and use his own vision of the 'big society' to initiate this idea. we all know there are many things wrong with the system but there are also many things right with it to. imo it is the only option available. any alternative could possibly result in casualties and bloodshed. i for one do not want blood on my hands. if the infrastructure collapses through anarchy and chaos, many innocent people unable to defend themselves will be left vunerable and open to attack as tribal factions will form and the whole feudal system will reign yet again. parliament needs an upgrade.
f

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

revolutionise to what exactly? well you'd might just say i'm a dreamer, which i am. But i'd like to be part of an intelligent species with some direction to actually becomeing something worth while, aiming to live in a society closer resembling a utopia. Some people say a utopia is just a pipe dream, but for me its an idea an idea that we can make happen simply by making the choice to pursue it.

We are human beings we're smarter than other species we can chose what we want to become, and the problem with this current system is that we're not given that choice, we're not involved it our future. Where do i chose if britain goes to war or not, we're given one vote every 4 years this doesn't work.

check out The Venus Project, its not perfect but its a much better way to live than we do now.

i wasn't trying to compare britain to these despotic regimes sorry if it comes across like that, its just because the middle east protests, mainly lybia is all over the news right now.

yep i always spell britain wrong for some reason. i even got it wrong for the thread tittle, whoops

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join