It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New signs of compromise in USA government shutdown standoff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

New signs of compromise in USA government shutdown standoff

www.cnn.com

One week before a potential government shutdown, Senate Democrats for the first time reacted positively to an offer from House Republicans that would keep the government running for two more weeks while cutting $4 billion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2/26/2011 by TasteTheTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/26/2011 by TasteTheTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Wow! If it wasnt making headlines before it sure is now!
The government has planned a national shutdown since the dems/gop cant figure out a budget and were blowing through money.
Originally scheduled for next week, they are now talking about delaying it two weeks.

Now it could just be my ATS mind taking over, but that would place a government shutdown on the national level to occur on or around March 15, 2011 the Mayan ascension date.

Quite interesting if you ask me, imagine the effect on the nation for an immense event to occur during a shutdown of government services.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This happens almost every single year. It's called a continuing resolution and is due to the fact that the federal government can never seem to actually do their jobs on time and put together and approve/confirm a budget for the fiscal year.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Funny how when their paychecks are on the line that they actually act and do something. God forbid they have to deal with what the rest of us are. Hypocrites comes to mind.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
This happens almost every single year. It's called a continuing resolution and is due to the fact that the federal government can never seem to actually do their jobs on time and put together and approve/confirm a budget for the fiscal year.

This is exactly right, and to be honest, its getting old.

Oh by the way, cutting 4 billion from the budget? Sounds great, until you realize the programs they are removing, specifically the entire Americorps program, head start and other programs like it, transportation, environmental protections, and job placement programs.

not to worry! Defense spending is still up.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Dear Congress, Last year I mismanaged my funds and this year I cannot decide on a budget. Until I have come to a unified decision that fits all of my needs and interests, I will have to shut down my checkbook and will no longer be able to pay my taxes. I'm sure you'll understand. Thank you very much for setting an example we can all follow.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I'll believe the GOP on 'fiscal restraint' when they give up their ag subsidies and defense contracts.

This backfired on them under Clinton, and likely will again this time.
edit on 9-4-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

top topics

join