It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd Phone Call

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
As most of you know, I work at Boeing in the defense department. Anyway!

I came into work this morning and am looking at my phone.
"12 New Missed Calls"

Odd, I thought. So I asked my co-worker directly across from me if she received anything like this. She excitedly stated that the entire company (keep in mind over 6500+ employees here!), those with desks and phones received the calls multiple times.

There were no messages left by any of the calls. It appears that the area code is associated with Google's calling system. The area code is (760) (Mod, can I place the entire number?) If anyone would like to know the number to research it please PM me or reply so I can send it to you.

It really has us wondering if it was a mass hack attack or something less sinister.

Keep in mind, again, that I work for a defense contractor. This sort of thing just does not occur, as far as the phone calls go. Hacks happen every second of everyday but not calls!

Has anyone got any information on this? This dis info agent would greatly appreciate it.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Probably just some kind of bot, they probably wanted to tell you that your new car's warranty is about to expire.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

Nice.

No. The entire company was hit with this. Multiple times throughout the night. No messages left or anything.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by NeverApologize

This was a prob of the system to try to hack into the system. your phone system and e-mail systems are linked.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

From within Google email service, the Internet Calling feature. All received calls from a person's email account will show that (760) area code on recepient's Caller I.D.

Is the Boeing Corporate phone number one or two digits similar to something else?

edit on 23 February 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

No. We are a 610 area code. Internal VOIP system. Supposedly secure from crap like this.
I'm sure IT is watching this thread too.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocky Black

Very likely.
This just made my day more exciting. I have passed out the link to this thread to some work buddies.
Keep em coming guys!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Could be a hack or it could be a test for some emergency project that google is working on. At any rate it's interesting so let us know if you find out more as I'm sure your company would need to give some kind of explanation for having to sift through so many bogus messages. Even if it only took you and everyone a minute to check, your company just spent 2 and 1/2 employees weekly salary to check those messages.... What a waste...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Shotyoung

I will keep you guys posted. IT is looking into it now. I have friends in the department.
Sure is cool.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Ticket called into IT now.
Also to security.

Additional number now being reported with the following. It's another number being reported.
A Chat convo window from here at work:

user:
interesting the 2000000030 is an illegal spoofed numbers and which i should contact the authorities
part of a phising attempt lol
who gave them boeings number?

edit on 23-2-2011 by NeverApologize because: addition

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeverApologize
So I asked my co-worker directly across from me if she received anything like this

Ask your colleague subtly across from you. You might get a better response.

As for the calls that everyone got overnight - chances are high that it was a computer systems upgrade that was being tested. Fairly certain you will get an email or meeting soon advising you of it.

-m0r

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Ruled out. Unless you know something additonal.
Second Line.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

As most of you know, I work at Boeing in the defense department. Anyway!

I came into work this morning and am looking at my phone.
"12 New Missed Calls"

Odd, I thought. So I asked my co-worker directly across from me if she received anything like this. She excitedly stated that the entire company (keep in mind over 6500+ employees here!), those with desks and phones received the calls multiple times.

There were no messages left by any of the calls. It appears that the area code is associated with Google's calling system. The area code is (760) (Mod, can I place the entire number?) If anyone would like to know the number to research it please PM me or reply so I can send it to you.

It really has us wondering if it was a mass hack attack or something less sinister.

Keep in mind, again, that I work for a defense contractor. This sort of thing just does not occur, as far as the phone calls go. Hacks happen every second of everyday but not calls!

Has anyone got any information on this? This dis info agent would greatly appreciate it.

OP, thankyou for bringing this information forward. I asked myself who would have the motive to unleash a "mass attack" like this on a defense contractor, and this is where I'm at right now. Boeing is the nations largest "exporter/manufacturer", and the dollar is being "manipulated/dessimated/watered down" so Boeing sells more goods overseas. The other "manufacturers" in this country, can add up all the money they made from exports, "together", and still wouldnt surpass Boeing. Its "basically" , all about Boeing, Boeing Boeing. One of the only things that wasnt reduced in the new budget was money for "defense/ contractors", hmmm.
Just about anybody who doesnt work for "Boeing or the government", probably is a little "bitter" at Boeing and other defense contractors, because you are the benefactor of a dessimated U.S. Dollar.
Disclaimer...I am a small stakeholder in boeing. (IMO)
edit on 23-2-2011 by G.A.G. because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2011 by G.A.G. because: poor grammar

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Ruled out. Unless you know something additonal.

With the greatest of respect NeverApologize (I really like your username) why is it ruled out?

IT will get back to you and you will see that this is probably the case.

A mobile phone from a call centre worker, never mind all of them, is not a big deal, military supplier or not.

-m0r

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

To quote:
"It's good to be King..."

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

It affected over 500 users simultaneous.
No human can call 500+ people at once to my knowledge.

I just spoke with IT. It was an attack.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

I just spoke with IT. It was an attack.

I very much doubt that. I also doubt that anyone would be happy with you discussing this potentially damaging information on a public forum during working hours.

Wrong on so many levels - even for a CT site.

Stop talking to your 'friends' in IT and get to the press. There are plenty of other military supplier companies which will provide you with good money to openly admit there was an IT attack there.

-m0r

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

LOL... really?
You know so much of so little. It was a spoof attack. Many corps get these DAILY.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

reply to post by G.A.G.

To quote:
"It's good to be King..."

Is that some kinda "poke" or "jab" aimed at me because I shared my thoughts? Please clarify. FACT...if boeing exports or recieves orders for goods while the "dollar" is at a "reduced" value... It makes it easier to lead the public to percieve that the economy is getting better. Your reply to me was childish and un-called for. And, now that it appears you are a little on the "immature" side, I will no longer "dignify" your comments to me, by replying. If I could take a flag away I would...

P.S. I genuinly feel that if you really worked for any "defense"contractor...you sure as heck wouldnt be "BRAGGING" about it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join