It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child brain scans to pick out future criminals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Child brain scans to pick out future criminals

www.telegraph.co.uk

More researchers believe that violent tendencies have a biological basis and that tests and brain imaging can pick them up in children.

They argue that, by predicting which children have the potential to be trouble, treatments could be introduced to keep them on the straight and narrow. If the tests are accurate enough then a form of screening could be introduced in the same way we test for some diseases.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Humm... So another excuse for policymakers to medicate children, and who knows they might even consider killing these children "for the good of the whole"?

This is the most stupid claim I have ever seen...

Many children tend to be bad as children but most of them change as they gain experience in life. Not to mention that many children who weren't bad as children become criminals when they grow up. IMO this is nothig more than an excuse for more eugenics programs to be implemented by the thought police.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Humm... So another excuse for policymakers to medicate children, and who knows they might even consider killing these children "for the good of the whole"?

This is the most stupid claim I have ever seen...

I agree, horribly stupid, so what happens to the bad ones, they go to the governments secret child sex trafficing?? What about the kids that have bad parents and don't get raised right? This is beyond stupid, what happens when the scans get mixed up?? What happened to innocent until proven guilty?? Wow, why do we need technology to tell us everything??

This kinda reminds me of the Will Smith movie with the robots, when technology deems it safest to lock up all humans because of the threat to the world we are.

S&F Thanks for the info!
edit on 22-2-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This is stupid and unnecessary. Just because the kid might be born with a brain with some traits as a sociopath might have that doesn't mean that they will become one.
You also can't just blame one factor that turns someone into a criminal; it's not simply because of a brain defect or bad parents that turns people into criminals. The biggest reason that kids and other people become criminals is poverty.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

Thanks. I couldn't belive it when I saw the news about this.

I thought I was having a nightmare.

Who knows what other excuses they will try to make to "correct" what they call a problem?...

Will doctors take scans of newborn children's brain and kill the ones they claim will become criminals when this new scheme doesn't work?...
edit on 22-2-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Does anyone else have an issue with the term 'future criminal'? I certainly do, as it is impossible. There is no such thing as a future criminal. There are those that have committed criminal acts, and those that havent. There is no possible way to quantify what someone MIGHT do.

This, to me, sounds like just another step towards homogenization.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Making children whose brains are still developing undergo x-ray scans will most certainly cause problems for those children.

I predict that if this passes we will see an increase in leukemia, and other forms of cancer in children...

Those who survive the new influx of x-rays will be medicated to no end...

These criminologists and doctors who adviced for this should be jailed for trying to endanger American children...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I work with kids and I have seen some really bad ones but almost always it is because of the parents and I have seen some of those bad kids make great changes twords being a better person. I think it would be impossible to determine bad or good at that age, life is learning process, we are all going to make mistakes and do things wrong or bad but we all have the choice to do right when we are aware of the bad but until we are aware of wrong and right, we are still learning.
edit on 22-2-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

What these scientists are saying here is just plain offensive and dangerous. I like many here believe that one is "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law". This profiling is dangerous in that it labels and singles out people to the point where it could cause more people to commit crimes or more serious crimes because they have been pushed into a corner. The self esteem issues of these kids will rise as they will be made to feel like criminals without actually committing a crime.

Prof Adrian Raine, a British criminologist, argued that abnormal physical brain make-up could be a cause of criminality,

The issue I have with even making statements like this is "Smarty" lawyers will use this as an excuse to get guilty criminals off or have a reduced sentence due to the old "It's a health issue and not their fault ..... diminished responsibility" argument. Not cool at all. Imagine if someone you know (Relative, friend or work colleague) is a victim of something like a sexual assault or killed by drunk driver and a lawyer gets them off on a defense like this ....... you would want blood!

This really reeks!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Eugenics is the answer. The USA pioneered a wonderful program based on in-depth research many years ago. The abundance of riff-raff in America is solid testimony to eugenics programs being abandoned for the most part.

It's common sense: only thoroughbreds run at the Kentucky Derby. There is no real need to research brain graphs when the information can be had through simpler means. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

There is a lyric from a song: "...accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative.." - painfully true.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
When children grow up into adults, they are a product of their environment. Person A and person B might both have the same tendency towards criminality, drug addiction, alcoholism, ect, ect, but the environment within which they are raised means one might go on to become one or more of those things while the other does not. This sort of test is just another method to place the blame anywhere other than where it belongs, society. It automatically stigmatizes a person before they even have a chance to prove the test wrong and completely ignores the catalyst.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Sounds kinda like that Tom Cruise movie and the future crime stuff! LOL

It's no wonder kids are screwed up these days. Most of the time the original parents are no longer together and Mom has been through Lord knows how many "boyfriends. Most parents lack basic parental skills and automatically take children to the Dr because they have "ADD" or whatever ailment you decide. Here's an idea, let a kid be a kid...and the parents need to be real parents and discipline their children without fear of child protective service coming to take them away.

Sore subject and it makes me very angry. Working EMS I have seen so many kids on meds that need not be on them because the parents are afraid to be parents. Sad really...

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

reply to post by captaintyinknots

Making children whose brains are still developing undergo x-ray scans will most certainly cause problems for those children.

I predict that if this passes we will see an increase in leukemia, and other forms of cancer in children...

Those who survive the new influx of x-rays will be medicated to no end...

These criminologists and doctors who adviced for this should be jailed for trying to endanger American children...

Everything in medicine has unwanted side effects. A patient may be allergic to mere aspirin, it's rare but it happens. A cast on a broken leg is cumbersome and unwieldy but it helps the bones mend properly.

And x-rays (radiographs, actually) enable physicians to see what cannot be seen by the naked human eye. Yes, the patient is exposed to x-rays but it is a minimal amount. The benefit outweighs the down-side.

Children have been receiving x-rays from doctors for many years. The medical field knows what they are doing. The kids are alright.

Also, have to say it's tiring reading the cliche bit about children being given medication. Doctors take practicing medicine very seriously. They have incredible education and experience behind them. People receive prescription medication only when deemed absolutely necessary, for the most part. Very few physicians abuse the privileges they have earned, and the few who are crooked don't last long.

There are a lot of children with problems of all sorts, always have been. More is understood now in the field of medicine, psychiatry, child development, etcetera than 50 years ago when some of you were in school. There are more children receiving medical attention these days because people are doing their jobs. The sad side is how many disturbed children grew to be even more disturbed adults who never received or reached out for the medical attention they so obviously need.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
sounds like another well thought out and ahead FRONT. they know for a fact the criminal population of the future is gonna explode due to the poverty striken state of affairs we see around us today. better to say "the government didn't do this to you, your brain did".

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

You are very wrong on this. There is a reason why for many decades unborn children have not been x-rayed in the womb or in their developmental years unless it is very necessary.

Children are not subject to constant monitoring through scans like what these.... people want.

This will increase the incidence of leukemia and other cancers in children. It won't be done just once. They have to keep making scans to follow the growth of the children and whether or not they have been "cured".
edit on 22-2-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: add comments.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

reply to post by LargeFries

You are very wrong on this. There is a reason why for many decades unborn children have not been x-rayed in the womb or in their developmental years unless it is very necessary.

Children are not subject to constant monitoring through scans like what these.... people want.

This will increase the incidence of leukemia and other cancers in children. It won't be done just once. They have to keep making scans to follow the growth of the children and whether or not they have been "cured".
edit on 22-2-2011 by ElectricUniverse because: add comments.

Thank you for sharing with me this information. But unborn children being x-rayed has nothing to do with the subject at hand. And I am unaware of unnecessary x-rays being a problem for patients of any age group in America; they are only used as a diagnostic tool when necessary.

I did not make any positive statement toward using x-rays for monitoring children. Quite the opposite, actually.

But thank you for playing.

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I am sick and tired of people trying to generalize behavioural symptoms into predicative possibilities. Environmental stimuli has a huge influence on 'genetic tendency'...perhaps even more so...deal with individual circumstances and you have your 'win'...lump everyone together and you have your fail...

join