It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 149
<< 146  147  148    150  151  152 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

I see a few small quakes. I am wondering if you are feeling the waves from two large quakes in distant regions. I think it's due to the ground being saturated with water.

Here's an experiment you might want to try. You can catch moisture evaporating from the ground. Use a clear plastic bag to collect it like you would if you were trapped moisture from a transpiration from a tree if you were in a survival situation. You can then check the PH. But you have to compare that to what's normal for the area.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

OK I'll try it just to see, but we don't have a reference point to go back to compare. How to I do the temp?

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

Honestly I think the water and surface temps won't give a real indication of what's going on way down deep. Unless the results are drastic. You may be able to compare the water using information about local water wells.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Howdy everyone!

Sunflowerstar had contacted me via U2U and asked if I would be able to write the letter to Erin Brockovich, hoping to gain her attention to our efforts. So I did and this is what I sent to Sunflowerstar. I posted this in the Arkansas Friend "group" page on Facebook, but thought some of you may not be there and would like to see it.

Dear Ms. Brockovich,

We are a handful of people from across the world, which have been able to come together on the Internet, due to an area and a subject of great concern. Two issues that not only have a serious impact on the United States, but globally as well.

Specifically, the New Madrid Seismic Zone which covers the states of Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Illinois and Indiana. Our dire concern about this area is directly related to Hydraulic Fracturing, aka "fracking". Hydraulic Fracturing is a process that results in the creation of fractures in rocks. Hydraulic fractures may be natural or man-made and are extended by internal fluid pressure which opens the fracture and causes it to grow into the rock. The most important industrial use is in stimulating oil and gas wells, where hydraulic fracturing has been used for over 60 years in more than one million wells in the United States alone.

Recently, the mainstream media has picked up on this subject, especially concerning the multitude of earthquakes that have been recorded in the state of Arkansas. We are grateful for this attention, however the gas companies have a power and ability to control and manipulate politics, which obviously proves complete disregard for the lives of those residing in this area. Exactly as they have proven with what happened in the Gulf Of Mexico and the BP Oil Spill.

In the early 1960's, the Army Core Of Engineers and the USGS did studies in Colorado on a form of "fracking", called Deep Well Injection (a form of waste management, and a process where hazardous liquid waste is forced into deep wells containing porous rock as a means of storing it). During this study, they determined that this did indeed cause earthquakes.

A close look at Arkansas’ history of earthquakes and drilling reveals a shocking surge in quake frequency following advanced drilling. The number of quakes in 2010 nearly equals all of Arkansas’ quakes for the entire 20th century. The last four months of 2010, nearly 500 earthquakes rattled Guy, Arkansas. The entire state experienced 38 quakes in 2009. In December alone, over 150 earthquakes rocked Arkansas.

In 1811 - 1812, the New Madrid Seismic Zone suffered from 4 massive earthquakes, ranging from 7.0 - 8.0. Earthquakes so strong, the Great Mississippi River flowed backwards for a time, as a result. Scientists and geologists agree, it's is not a matter of "if" an earthquake will again strike this area, but "when".

The devastation of such an event would not only immediately affect 7+ million people, but more than likely would have dire consequences for the United States.

Earthquakes are not the only concern. The health and safety of water is as well. The documentary "Gasland" is pivotal in proving this aspect. Fresh water sources across our country are being poisoned on a daily basis. All thanks to "fracking".

Our group of concerned citizens has worked hard collecting resources and facts regarding all of these issues. We have come together with a "thread" on a site called "Above Top Secret". A place where we can share, learn and work together to stop this insanity. We have gathered a wonderful list of resources, which we present to you, along with the link to our thread.

This is a fight that none of us are willing to back down from. We ask you to please review our information, resources and research. We also ask that you assist us with this fight. As you will learn, yes this is a huge problem within the United States. However it is a global issue. One of such a large scale, which has the potential to knock out millions, if not billions, of souls on our planet.

Thank you for your time and consideration, Ms. Brockovich. We sincerely appreciate it.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Has anyone been following the pattern of these quakes on USGS? Other than the occasional stray 2.5, they seem to take the weekends off. Strange, nature doesn't usually do that Perhaps the fracking theory is relevant or maybe HAARP? Govt. 9-5 mon thru fri.
edit on 6-3-2011 by borntoquestion because: spelling error

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by borntoquestion

I posted the exact same thing yesterday, and nobody answered me. I've been watching closely and it seems as if they are trying to make it seem as if injection stopped, then 98% of the quakes stopped, which isn't the case. YES, they have calmed down, but not to the extent they are trying to say they have.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by UtahRosebud

GREAT letter, UtahRoseBud! Very succinct and informative. Let's pray this goes forward for some resolve.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Mention of other states would have been a good idea. We are all being affected. Like I mentioned before, the deep water injection causes seismicity everywhere it is used. In California at The Geysers, they are dealing with seismicity from enhanced geothermals. Which is once again injecting water, but into geothermal hotspots. Which is an even worse form of deep injection. Enhanced geothermals had to be abandoned in Switzerland due to seismic activity. Californians are being are forced to live with this man made and proven seismicity.

Now around 10 million eastern folks are having fracking fluids purposely dumped in their drinkning water. This is not accidental. It is being minimally treated, then dumped. Raw sewage is treated better than this. And it doesn't contain the gamet of chemicals that fracking fluids have. And now we find that the radioactivity of that drinking water was never measured.

In the sporadic spot testing that did occur at waste treatment plants in the last three years radioactivity levels 2,122 times higher than allowed in drinking water were measured at intake. Yes, you read correctly.

Green” Gas Drilling? No Fracking Way

But the E.P.A. has not intervened. In fact, federal and state regulators are allowing most sewage treatment plants that accept drilling waste not to test for radioactivity. And most drinking-water intake plants downstream from those sewage treatment plants in Pennsylvania, with the blessing of regulators, have not tested for radioactivity since before 2006, even though the drilling boom began in 2008.

Regulation lax as gas wells' tainted water hits rivers

Now that a lightbulb has gone off on radiation, they are checking drinking wells contaminated by fracking for radiation. And quess what they found? My question, why did no one to think to check this before? Looks like our government officials once again looked the other way.

Now yet another new twist... They are using radioactive fracking fluids to settle dust on the roads.

Records show wastewater with radium sent to Troy Twp

Think this is not affecting you? Once injection is stopped, "it is coming to a town near you".
edit on 6-3-2011 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Robin, I can't say enough how impressed I have been by your determination and others on this thread and facebook to get the info out there and get results. I really can't. So please, remember that as you read on.

They gave up way too easy. I just can't help but feel that this was all orchestrated. I pray that I am wrong, I really do. I just can't get past though, how they (oil guys) showed up to that meeting with letter in hand and shut down the two wells that same day. As I said before....my fear is that these injection wells were an intentional trigger but NOT the mechanism. What if whatever they were doing is now done?

I am looking at the WHAR station right now and seeing this constant activity and know that you, Susan are most likely feeling the affects as I type this.

This is not the only station showing it. There are at least three others and what concerns me is that they are not geographically that close. This indicates that there may be quite a bit of lateral movement....perhaps shallow.

I am really hoping/praying that all is what it appears to be. I am a person though who, like Robin, sees patterns. I talked about this in previous posts and as much as I would love for this to be done....it just doesn't feel right.

ETA: Current screen shot of WHAR on GEE

edit on 6-3-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

Thank you for your suggestions.

I think the key points in the "letter" were pretty much nailed on the head. The idea of the "letter" is to gain her attention and interest. Not bore her to tears.

Sunflowerstar, the keeper of the links, articles, studies, etc... will be providing all of those things to Ms. Brockovich. Within those, are the mounds of information that will further educate Ms. Brockovich. Giving her more "ammo" for the cause.

Also on a sidenote... Ms. Brockovich is currently very much so, involved in the after effects of the BP Oil Spill in the Gulf Of Mexico. Which means she is already at war with the gas & oil industry. All this information we are bringing to her... adds more fuel to her fire. And that is a very good thing!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Alright folks... I'm posting this in a few different threads, as I believe it is relevant and important to share. So if you see it here, and then another, you were warned. LOL

There has been discussion in this thread of volcanic activity being a potential issue. Therefore I am sharing this article I just discovered.

It is published in the journal Nature dated 3 March 2011. A magma chamber is a large reservoir of molten rock (magma) located several kilometers beneath a volcano, which it feeds with magma. But what happens to the magma chamber when the volcano is not erupting? According to volcanologists, it cools down to an extremely viscous mush until fresh magma from deep inside Earth 'reawakens' it, in other words fluidizes it by heating it through thermal contact. The large size of magma chambers (ranging from a few tenths to a few hundred cubic kilometers) explains why, according to this theory, it takes several hundred or even thousand years for the heat to spread to the whole reservoir, awakening the volcano from its dormant state.

However, according to the mathematical model developed by Burgisser and his US colleague, reheating takes place in three stages. When fresh hot magma rises from below and arrives beneath the chamber, it melts the viscous magma at the base of the reservoir. This freshly molten magma therefore becomes less dense and starts to rise through the chamber, forcing the rest of the viscous mush to mix. It is this mixing process that enables the heat to spread through the chamber a hundred times faster than volcanologists had predicted. Depending on the size of the chamber and the viscosity of the magma it contains, a few months may be sufficient to rekindle its activity.

No Such Thing As A Dormant Volcano Article

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
So I hope you aren't all getting sick of me and my screen shots, but I just want to share with you what I am seeing. Another period of what I call 'weirdness' occured just a few minutes ago. It lasts for about five minutes, starting at about 21:51. I have SEVEN stations pulled up on GEE right now. They span probably about 60-80 miles, with the WHAR station seemingly the closest to the activity. I have not been able to capture this so well on so many stations before. This is NOT a p wave from a distant quake. It is NOT local noise, due to the multiple stations it shows up on. So....just what IS it? Pleae note, this is not an isolated occurance. It started a few days ago (when I started seeing it) and it seems to me to be spreading.

First, these are stations:

AG.WHAR
TA.U40A
TA.V39A
TA.W40A
TA.X40A
TA.Y40A
US.MIAR

Please not that on a couple I have all three channels up. Some only two and a couple one. It is showing on ALL of them. Here they are in sequence:

This one is WHAR and U40 (I cut off the station in the screen shot..note the time)
Begining at 21:51 and lasting for five minutes

Now, taken at the same time...U40,V39 and W40

X40, Y40

Finally, the rest of Y40 and MIAR

So at least this is here now as a point of reference.
edit on 6-3-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Have you guys heard about this earthquake in Florida on Feb 18th 2011? This guy connects it to the Arkansas quakes and the salt dome in the Gulf....just passing it along. I had no idea there was a quake in Florida....I think it was just offshore.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Thanks so much for the draft letter. I can work a sentence or two into it. Including NY and PA who have stopped the fracking. And include WV who has permits up for review but have not started yet. I will do this when I add site links to FB, ATS, and reference list.
Many thanks to everyone. Let's keep up the good work. Get plenty of rest, and balance in your lives. There was a t-shirt from a tennis shoe that said eat well, sleep enough, drink plenty of water, and Go like Hell. The drive is on folks. We got their attention, as Robin said a few pages back, there is going to be a push back, a front from industry and government to qwell our ambition. Scientists will be paid to say it ain't so. We all have our skills and talents, we have come together, so let's keep what we do best and do it well. Drive on!!!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Yup! The 3.5 offshore of Louisiana. We talked about it,and I consider it one of the 'dots' in the picture.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I had no idea! I'm sure you know we had one here in Louisiana during the BP thing (in Clinton).....was there anything in the news on the Florida quake? I watch all the time and never heard a word. BTW....all of you guys are doing a great job here....I come here every day to get news on this!

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SunflowerStar

I am not giving this up. I am so grateful for everyone who is alerting and staying on this. Thank you.

Our particular area has been relatively geologically stable (albeit full of caves and sinks) for a long time. That is why the gas company has salt domes filled with reserve gas about a mile from me.

The quivers I have been feeling match up to the Arkansas quakes.

www.stltoday.com...

Our insurance agent called (out of the blue) to set up an appointment to discuss our coverage

www.stltoday.com...

I see that there were tremors today along New Madrid. The ground is sodden here and more rain to come.
I was at the Mississippi river today and the floodgates are wide open. Only 5 feet from river to parking lot. At Alton, IL I would say there will be flood to cover the lower roads in a week. This happens yearly, but add tremors and the area becomes destabilized.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Yes just came and got GEE going again to see what was going on. Sensations eased some earlier today but are coming back again and felt a pretty long one a little bit ago too.I've been doing laundry and other things and trying not to pay attention, but it got my attention up enough that i had to come see.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I am really concerned for my family in central arkansas. With all the rain they are getting and more to come in couple days surely doesnt help matters. My step-sister is getting married this sat and although i will not be going over there my dad is. The worrier in me wants to talk him out of going but am hesitant to reveal my worries. I guess you call me a "closet atser" he he. My mom is still in central arkansas and ive already discussed with her that maybe its time to think about moving out of the area. Anyway just wanted to say thanks for the thread and multitude of info coming thru this thread has opened my eyes to many things. Peace

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
What are those? Making me dizzy just looking at it.

www.iris.washington.edu...

top topics

<< 146  147  148    150  151  152 >>

join