It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan suspends whale hunt after 'harassment' by activists!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...

Japan has temporarily suspended its annual whale hunt in the Antarctic after anti-whaling activists obstructed its fleet's mother ship.

According to reports, officials in Tokyo have conceded that this year's mission, which had again been the target of international criticism, had not gone as well as hoped, and added that the fleet may be called home early.
Tatsuya Nakaoku, a fisheries agency official, said the decision was taken after the mother ship, the Nisshin Maru, was "harassed" by members of the marine conservation group Sea Shepherd.

"Putting a priority on safety, the fleet has halted scientific whaling for now," he said. "We are currently considering what to do next."

This is some good news, it seems that the Sea Shepards are finally getting some serious results.
Brilliant news really.
It's not as if the Japanese have had a change of heart though, it's more to do with economics although they claim it is because it's too dangerous to operate. Still it's one step closer to having them halt all scientific whaling.
edit on 16-2-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
good. i hope the activists keep at it!!!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
this is a first. i hope japan stops whaling all together but that i guess is asking too much .

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
There is not much about it on the Sea Shepard website just yet, but I am sure they will update it as soon as possible.

And it's true, even if they stop the Antartic whaling they will still be slaughtering dolphins in their own waters.
www.seashepherd.org...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
humans are really imbecils...
what can you have with the poor whales that you whant to kill them all?!
it's really stupid...
this and the shark finnings that are could make angry even a little kid...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
This tread just made my day! Brilliant!
Hope the Japanese government take a wise decision and stop whaling completely.
Sea shepard: just a few brave men and a ship changing the world. An example of the fact that everything is possible if the passion is there.
Give the guys a medal!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
This is very good news!!! Now all we need to do is boot the Americans out of Pine Gap and out of the South Pacific and we'll all be happy.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Good! Now let's see if they stick with it.

Don't forget to put a few nickels into the Sea Shepherd's collection cup.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
This is very good news!!! Now all we need to do is boot the Americans out of Pine Gap and out of the South Pacific and we'll all be happy.

QFT

Get the Americans out! China in WOOT.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Just what exactly are they doing research about and how many whales do they need to slaughter before they get to the end of their "scientific research"? Have they come to any conclusions, made any earth shattering discoveries other than the fact that they LIKE TO EAT WHALE MEAT?
We should all stand together and vote for Sea Shepherd and her crews for whatever Nobel Prize they should be in line for!
"The Nobel Prize for Conservation" maybe???

edit on 16/2/11 by wiser3 because: spelling

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Excellent news indeed

And without any collisions this year so let's hope for a continued scaling down of the 'scientific research' whaling operations from here on with no physical harm to either whalers or protesters. It'll take considerably more than hope but it's a start at least.

'scientific research' my @ss

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Yes! stop hunting my family! lol, well all animals are family, but I have a much deeper connection with cats but especially whales and dolphins and regardless, no animal should ever be hunted this way, the same way we desire a painless death, so do they, and they should be given one, unless they die by natural causes such as another whale.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

Nice. Lets bring down the discussion by adding a kick to a country that this thread doesnt pertain to...

Anyway....Im glad to see these guys efforts paying off. Hopefully the new vessels in the fleet dont get sunk this time.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

There should be no whaling any where in the world but South Pacific and Atlantic Ocean should be whale free NOW! Don't want it in my neighbourhood in any shape or form.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

There shouldnt be whaling anywhere. Period. There is no reason to hunt them as there are many other viable food resources to be had. Your original post was just an excuse to bash America. This thread is about celebrating the outcome of the hard work of the individuals that forced Japan to suspend whaling this season. It has nothing to do with the U.S.

edit on 16-2-2011 by DerbyCityLights because: typo fix

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Lets just hope this temporary ban becomes a permanent ban, also Norway needs to follow suit. Whales/dolphins are our family and co-inhabiting this planet with us. As species they are intelligent and benevolent, and dolphins call each other by Name!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
good news i guess

but if i was being harassed like japan,,, i'd call off the hunt and then sneak back when no one's looking,,, or send out different smaller ships to do it

i wish our us gov't would get tuff on em.... instead i saw where we did propose new rules,,, that sounded good on paper,,,,, but actually would have made things worse and increased kills,,,,, even though the language of the rules would seemingly appease those outraged by these killings

figures,,,, our tricky,,, backhanded, shadowy gov't

it'd be one thing if they were abundant,,,, but they're not and actually underpopulated,,,, don't they get it that there will be no more???

and we can probably agree these creatures are amazing and majestic,,, we should preserve them

in 2nd grade we raised money to adopt a whale,,,, we raised enuff to adopt 3 actually,,,, i often wonder where that whale is,,,, is it still swimming around,,,, did it end up on one of these japanese whaling ships??

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I'm not entirely sure but I would imagine all traffic in Antartic waters would be monitored, I don't think they could sneak in without being noticed.

I agree though, governments should be a lot tougher with them on this issue, I mean it's not as if the Japanese have learnt a lesson or softened their stance, it's simply not viable for them to continue.
Like the Sea Shepard's or not, they have set out and achieved what not only they but many people around the world wanted to see happen. They have managed to stop whaling in the Antartic waters, hopefully permanently too.
I know their tactics have been questionable at times but frankly, nobody else was willing to seriously try and stop them.

Good on 'em

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
think about it this way.....From the goverments point of view....
Their ships and men are endangered by these whaling terrorists.
maybe next year their piracy will be met by the Japanese navy.
How theres a thought.....What makes what the Sea Shephards society is doing not piracy?
The fact that they are trying to save the whales is moot really compared to the illegality of their actions.
The japanese will not go on loosing face over this. They will protect those whaling ships.
Look out green peace or whatever...they wont always back down......

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
While I am against the whaling being done, I wonder when the pirates will be charged for their actions? Whaling is disgusting and unneeded, however what the Sea Shepard group is doing could be decryed as piracy......there are better ways to handle it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join