It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large "fireball" Seen Over East Coast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Large "fireball" Seen Over East Coast

www.foxnews.com

"Multiple reports of a fireball in the sky seem to confirm a passing meteor near the North Jersey-New York City area"

“It might have been 5 feet in diameter with a weight of more than 5 metric tons, judging from reports that it blazed as bright as a full moon,” NASA scientist Bill Cooke of the Marshall Space Flight Center

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
It appears a pretty large comet was spotted all over the east coast by trained spotters on the ground. According to a scientist from the Marshall Space flight center, it's approximately five feet in diameter and weighs more that five tons.

Noticed this story and couldn't find any other threads about it on ATS.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15-2-2011 by FTD Brat because: added "over"

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FTD Brat

Do they know where it impacted??
Sounds very big and would do some damage...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FTD Brat

Interesting find. A crater 15 feet deep and 125 feet in diameter sounds pretty large to me. Imagine if that would have landed in a busy city.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Wasn't there a meteor or something recently spotted in the same area, I'm pretty sure I saw a thread earlier on it...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 15-2-2011 by SpreadLoveNotHate because: Link

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

According to what I read in the article, they don't know where it hit or if it hit the ground at all.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FTD Brat

According to what I read in the article, they don't know where it hit or if it hit the ground at all.

Yeah, I read after..
Strange that they say it skipped through the atmosphere but a NASA guys predicts it's size and weight??
Now how the hell would he do that??

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SpreadLoveNotHate

Same story, but a different source with different info.
Thanks for pointing that out though.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Go figure! Perhaps NASA was tracking it on radar?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Is this just a coincidence or is this more than a 'fireball'?

www.wtop.com...

NORAD, aircraft coming to D.C. for extra maneuvers

WASHINGTON -- Don't be alarmed if you witness aircraft performing extra maneuvers over D.C. Wednesday. It's just NORAD conducting exercise Falcon Virgo 11-05.

The North American Aerospace Defense Command will be working with other national security organizations in a series of training flights for the exercise, to take place between midnight and 2 a.m. Wednesday.

Also involved are the Federal Aviation Administration, the National Capital Regional Coordination Center, the Joint Air Defense Operations Center, Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Coast Guard and NORAD's Continental U.S. Region's Western Air Defense Sector.

"NORAD conducts these tests regularly to ensure CONR's rapid response capability," says WTOP National Security Correspondent J.J. Green.

"The U.S. and Canada started operating them as a part of Operation Noble Eagle after the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001."

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

That is an awfully interesting coincidence.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
did they mention the number for the astroid or was it a rogue one?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CIGGSofWAR

No, I haven't seem anything like that. It's small enough that it was probably never detected before it entered the atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

According to this article, it apparently landed somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean.

www.nbcnewyork.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by robyn

Thanks for contributing!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Only one listed...

Asteroid 2011 CQ1 Makes Close Earth Approach on February 4, 2011
February 4, 2011

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

They had a big one in 1992 caught that on video and it hit a car. But this is what it looked like

edit on 15-2-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I hate to be an annoying detail oriented pain in the butt, but I think we should be a bit more careful about terminology and make sure we call this thing a meteor or meteoroid and not refer to it as an asteroid or comet. They are all very, very different from one another. That is, of course, assuming it was a meteor and not something of human (or "nonhuman"?) origin.

P.S. If an impact crater is found, we could then call it a meteorite.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dalloway

You have an excellent point, but since I don't know any better, I simply referred to it the same way the news source did. They were probably wrong too.

edit on 15-2-2011 by FTD Brat because: added emote

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
As a child on the west coast of Canada my Grandmother instilled in us kids a respect and nurtured our interest in stargazing by setting up sunbeds on her deck.
One night I saw a massive fire ball streak across the sky it is burned into my memory. Those lucky enough to witness this event will remember it for a long time to come. These types of experiences are like moments that seem to stop or put markers in our life time line. If star watching were as big as it was BTV (Before TV) I think we would be reporting a lot more amazing sites.
Shirak

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
okay so what im getting from all this is that this has happened three times in the past few days? And even the PA natural gas explosion could be related to these meteors/satellites/asteroids/comets hahahaha please correct me if im wrong, cause if im not then houston, we have a problem

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join