It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Things to stock up on

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
There are all sorts of things that people reccomend stocking up on. This thread is dedicated to what should and shouldn't be stocked up on.

Canned foods (just need to new stuff in every 2 years or so, use before experation)
Rice
Flower
Pasta
MREs or simmillar meals
Salt
Nails, screws, hammers, etc
Toilet paper
Ammo for guns if appliccable
Seeds

Avoid storing things in damp places, use a dehumidifier

Add to the list if you want and if you want to argue with one of my items be calm about it.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Interesting.. The only thing that looks like you missed on your list is sugar. Otherwise good info for those in cities or who arent already self-sufficient.
Already fully self-sufficient here so no worries..

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
With the food items we use this for storage link and some oxygen absorbers Link when we go on long trips.
edit on 12-2-2011 by SkipperJohn because: typo

edit on 12-2-2011 by SkipperJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
You missed salt.

It's good for curing and battle wounds.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Heres an old favorite on many many survivalist boards from way back!
100things to dissappear first in an emergency:
standeyo.com...
edit on 12-2-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a ziploc bag full of matches and lighters and in case of severe weather emergency or something it might be a good idea to keep a charged cell phone inside that bag... oh yeah.. and lip gloss.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
waterproof matches
tent
warm clothing and thermo gloves
maps
seeds
fresh underwear, socks ( very important so ive learned, during WWI the condition trench foot was introduced. having to wear boots and wet socks, without letting air get at yuor fet brought gang green infections) especially bran new DRY socks.
small assortment of stainless steel pots and pans. stay clear of that dupont laced stuff..it will cause cause cancer as it eventully gets scraped and flakes off the pots and pans.
first aid book, so you know how to make a proper dressing for a wound,stitching, or how ot dress and suspend a broken arm or leg
ide recoomend a red lens for a flashlight..even cheap red seran wrap will do. much harder to detect the color red at night, but jsut enough so you can see in front of you. Also hard for intruders to detect you, as opposed to a yellow ro white beam of light lighting the surrounding area up like an xmas tree
myabe a small infaltbale raft or boat..small axe, too dig a tree trunk out to make a boat.
machete

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

you mean chapstick right? To start a fire.

www.youtube.com...

Like above.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Eye feel that if you are going to make any real attempts to prepare, the first thing would be to eat and drink less so that you can ration better. Not getting selfish is the best way to survive. There are indigenous people who deal with out in many ways, how ever, they are still around. Taking nothing and knowing what to look for may be a smart way to approach it. If any of the future movies are correct. The more you have, the more you have that can be stolen. Survival is just that..survival. Eye would take dried food tho to cut weight. know how to make water drinkable in any case...

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
A good, reliable, hardy dog. They are good companion and hunters.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Uhmmm... For the ladies out there..."Feminine products"....??

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
It's a complete waste to store more than a months worth of food - maybe two months at tops.

One. Without water food is useless.

Two, if you're in the States and can't protect your food - forget it, why waste the money.

Three - thanks to Homeland Security?

If/when marshal law is enforced the government has the right - and will take any food you have stored to a central facility to either - hoard for them and their troops - or - dole out as they see fit to those sheep who need it.

So, it's good to be prepared, but, don't go overboard or you're just using your money to line THEIR pockets.

peace
edit on 12-2-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

flint and steel are the best to use matches only get used once and where would u you get refills for other types of lighters ,also have to worry about being left in sun ,the lighters that is yes there is a lot one needs to stock up on and for how long depends on how much for how many. this two needs to be though of, for your self and family how often do you eat 2 -3 times a day, more? yes it is not easy being ready for the # of just getting by when power is out or stuck in a car for 10 hours why the crews clear the road, 72 to 96 hours before rescue comes after an EQ or flood , or any other type of Natural Disasters, then you have the man made ones, Nuke Bio Chem, then you want one of them NBC suit no the TV station but the suit, and yes that is what it is called.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
It is good to have some supplies in case of natural disasters. Last spring, several tornadoes in our area left power out here for a couple of days. Now, I always have an older (but still working fine) radio with batteries and try to keep extra tank of propane for the grill. In the event of something epic global event, not sure if I would really want to survive if everyone I care for and life as I know it is gone.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

Flour is great on the short term but if you want long term grain and a mill are best.
A mill is costly but grain is cheaper than flour.
The best resource i have ever found for preppers are the Mormons, they are the navy seals of preppers hands down.
On their website there are downloadable manuals for prepping and the like.
If you live in an area where they have a cannery, even better.
Now for the moneymaking items, if you have enough cash to do it along with your prepping, vice items will be worth more than life and land.
Store up on alcohol, cigarettes, coffee, Etc. I gots to have my nicotene and caffeine!

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by bekod

flint and steel are the best to use matches only get used once and where would u you get refills for other types of lighters ,also have to worry about being left in sun ,the lighters that is yes there is a lot one needs to stock up on and for how long depends on how much for how many. this two needs to be though of, for your self and family how often do you eat 2 -3 times a day, more? yes it is not easy being ready for the # of just getting by when power is out or stuck in a car for 10 hours why the crews clear the road, 72 to 96 hours before rescue comes after an EQ or flood , or any other type of Natural Disasters, then you have the man made ones, Nuke Bio Chem, then you want one of them NBC suit no the TV station but the suit, and yes that is what it is called.

I do not want to be messing around with flint and steel in the dead of winter if I am stranded outside but i do see your point. my thought is that HOPEFULLY I will not be in the situation long enough to have need for that many sources of fire... and i say lighters because I am well aware that you can only use a match once, but I also say matches as well because they can do things that a lighter might not be able to do... such as staying light while you throw it or sticking the flame into a small hole.

I personally do not want to try to solely depend on flint because I will freely admit that I am no boyscout. I can do a lot of industrious things but have not ever been so bored or desperate that I have had to start a fire with flint and therefore I can't rest assured that I would even be able to pull it off. Flint or no flint, lighters would be easier for the short term... and I WOULD be hoping the situation was short term. Not every situation that is an emergency will turn into the end of society as we know it. Yes... the S May very well HTF but there is also a chance that I am in a bad hurricane this coming spring or something like that and it rips panels off my house and renders me wet and cold and wishing I could call for help or heat up a can of soup. In that case, I'll definitely take the lighters please.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I will also say that there should be multiple categories of stock items. You have to think of what you can grab and carry. In some cases you might be able to load up your truck. In other cases you may be nowhere near your items and cannot get to them and should have a smaller category of items on hand... and I think on many occasions, just to have a dry charged cell phone will make many emergency situations must shorter in duration and it's always good to have fire.
edit on 12-2-2011 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack

Seeds

Just remember to go with organic heirloom.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

When I think of Survival Kits I think of how can I pack the most with the least amount of space, so as far as food goes I really try to stay away from the pre packaged foods. I like to think of myself as starving and what my body would benefit from the most. Not Chips or Ramen Noodles although it would fix my hunger in a quick hurry......it would not sustain me for long and my body would become starved for sustinence.

With that said......Pack lots of Legumes. They last forever and a little goes a long way. Oatmeal is another good one.

A good Emergency Radio. Make sure its of good quality.

Oh and don't forget the can opener hehehe everyone always forgets that one.

Just to name a few........

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
bullion cubes
grenades, lots of grenades

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join