It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

35 zoo animals freeze to death in northern Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

35 zoo animals freeze to death in northern Mexico

news.yahoo.com

Serengeti Zoo owner Alberto Hernandez says 14 parrots, 13 serpents, five iguanas, two crocodiles and a capuchin monkey died. He said Saturday that power failures cut off electrical heating at the zoo in the town of Aldama.

Temperatures have dropped to 9 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 13 Celsius) in the area, the coldest weather in 60 years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.treehugger.com
www.pntonline.com...
www.kansascity.com...

edit on 2/8/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Sad that these poor animals who have to live in captivity can't even rely on their human keepers to provide them with the warmth they need to stay alive.

Regardless of whether negligence is ultimate deemed to have contributed to the animals' deaths or not, such an incidence raises concerns as the the quality of protection being offer to zoo animals throughout the world, particularly as weather extremes become an all too frequent occurrence. [From Additional News Link]

And in related stories (see additional news links), a giraffe fell on ice in Ohio and had to be euthanized, and DFW Zoo is keeping some of their animals inside. At least they're trying.

And the Mexican people are faring just slightly better than the animals, with many in shelters and many factories and businesses closed.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Also, for pet owners, just a reminder: Record Cold Can Make Even a Quick Trip Outdoors Dangerous for Pets

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
That's so sad.

The local zoo here is in serious hot water because 17 animals have died recently. A pregnant snow leopard was left out in the cold and some of the animals weren't fed for days due to no one being scheduled. It's so awful that these people take these animals out of their homes and then don't properly take care of them. It sickens me.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
poor monkey i heard animals were freezing to death in mexico from alex jones earlier on his radio show

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MeSoCorny

Sorry to hear about the animals in your state (Tennesee?) too. Incredibly sad. At least in the wild, in their natural habitat, they have a fighting chance and if they do die, at least they die free.

I hate zoos.

reply to post by ANClENT

Wow...Jones actually mentioned this?

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

At least in the wild, in their natural habitat, they have a fighting chance and if they do die, at least they die free.

I hate zoos.

reply to post by ANClENT

Wow...Jones actually mentioned this?

yes he did, basically his entire show was on weather and chance of major pole shift in the near future

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Sorry to hear about the animals in your state (Tennesee?) too. Incredibly sad. At least in the wild, in their natural habitat, they have a fighting chance and if they do die, at least they die free.

I hate zoos.

Yep, TN. It's horrible. It's been all on the news with the director shrugging it off as if it's not a big deal at all. She claims that it is just disgruntled former employees trying to stir up trouble. Irregardless animals have died because of an obvious lack of care. It's crap.

In all this snowpocalypse stuff I am worried about the animals who have to say outside.
edit on 8-2-2011 by MeSoCorny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Not a big deal? Maybe we should lock her up in a cold cage?

Snowpocalypse. And even more on the way (www.abovetopsecret.com...). At least this story getting out might alert some zoos that haven't "thought" about this. Sigh.

edit on 2/8/2011 by ~Lucidity because: typo

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Guess this wasn't technically "breaking" news.
IS there another thread on ATS, does anyone know?

top topics

join