It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amputation and Suicide. A Tragic Story Brought To You Courtesy Of The 'Recovering' Economy.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingJadeDragon

What you are about to read is perhaps the most heartbreaking story that I have ever come across. It is so tragic that I am not even quite sure how to introduce it.

theeconomiccollapseblog.com... ves

This story gives me pause for thought. Has society become so disjointed and disconnected that the woman and her father were unable to get help sooner? For example:

1) Was there not a good neighbor or a building management office where they could've used a phone in emergencies?

2) Would it have been too much of a burden for this woman's co-workers to have pooled together a bit of money so she could have bought some new boots?

3) Where was the kindly,old neighbor who is taking care her now before all of this occurred?

4) Would it not have been logical for her employer to send someone around to her place to let know that she didn't need to make the long trek to her job in light of the massive storm?

5) Why do we live in a world where people have to live in terror of seeking medical treatment due to a lack of money?

This insanity has seriously got to stop. However, I don't think it's going to anytime soon and I think stories like this one are going to become more commonplace as the weather and economy continue to ruin people's lives.

Sad times,indeed?

edit on 6-2-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: edit for content

This is so unspeakably horrible, that I find myself not wanting to believe it.. . Nevertheless, things like this do happen!
Vicky

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by FalselyFlagged
I hate to be a dick, but its her own fault. If she asked a church or something (and I'm not even Christian), some kind soul would have helped her get some new boots, or used boots.

She probably could have even posted on craigslist with her story and somebody would have helped her. It might have been some weirdo creep trying to hump her; but somebody would have helped her. Or maybe she could have gone to the bar and gotten a sugar daddy, or at minimum a boyfriend. I'm a young man... but do you know how many thousands I've spent on women? LOL

Bottom line is she didn't seek help, so what did she expect? Santa Claus to read her mind and bring her some in her sleep?

Plz...

edit on 6-2-2011 by FalselyFlagged because: (no reason given)

Doesn't sound at all like you "hated being a ****." Especially considering the "LOL," that you also added in there. I am not disagreeing 100% with everything you said, just some of what you said and the way that you said it. Yes, she probably could have gotten some charity for new boots if she had tried hard enough. We do not know exactly how far she had to walk, how much snow there actually was that particular day, or how cold it actually was that particular day. Charity boots are not going to be top of the line high dollar insulated boots.

You implying that she could have just prostituted herself, is completely uncalled for.

Also your so called "bottom line"- How do you know that she didn't seek help??

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Apparantely she had a phone, cuz she wondered why work didn't CALL her to tell her they weren't opening. sounds like bs to me. or someone has their priorities in the wrong place.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

I hate to be a dick, but its her own fault. If she asked a church or something (and I'm not even Christian), some kind soul would have helped her get some new boots, or used boots.

She probably could have even posted on craigslist with her story and somebody would have helped her. It might have been some weirdo creep trying to hump her; but somebody would have helped her. Or maybe she could have gone to the bar and gotten a sugar daddy, or at minimum a boyfriend. I'm a young man... but do you know how many thousands I've spent on women? LOL

Bottom line is she didn't seek help, so what did she expect? Santa Claus to read her mind and bring her some in her sleep?

Plz...

Look, I saw something on a US TV show that weirded me out toi the max, the other night. It told me the way you Americans are about asking for, or even accepting freely offered help!
The show was 'Bionic Woman'. The main character had undergone some kind of work-related trauma - I don't know what - so the boss offered her a holiday. Perfectly reasonable I thought, but she barked at him "I don't take handouts!"
OK, that led to an important plot point - the boss made the "holiday" a work assignment, but what happened next, I neither know nor care. I switched it off. Any decent boss, would have offered time off in the circumstances (I gathered it was something serious) and any worker with 28 grams of self-respect would have taken the holiday as her right.
Vicky

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Plz...

Sell her ass on the street for new boots?well i must agree with you mate you are a dick,so much compassion for a fellow human who has been thru hell,

What a sad horrible story,the poor girl has lost everything,
I'm just thankful for living in a country were a trip to the emergency room wont bankrupt me.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Plz...

Look, I saw something on a US TV show that weirded me out toi the max, the other night. It told me the way you Americans are about asking for, or even accepting freely offered help!
The show was 'Bionic Woman'. The main character had undergone some kind of work-related trauma - I don't know what - so the boss offered her a holiday. Perfectly reasonable I thought, but she barked at him "I don't take handouts!"
OK, that led to an important plot point - the boss made the "holiday" a work assignment, but what happened next, I neither know nor care. I switched it off. Any decent boss, would have offered time off in the circumstances (I gathered it was something serious) and any worker with 28 grams of self-respect would have taken the holiday as her right.
Vicky

I agree. I think part of the problem is American culture views asking for help as a sign of weakness. People are taught from a young age to be independent and 'tough'. The disintegration of the family just furthers add to the problem.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingJadeDragon

I agree. I think part of the problem is American culture views asking for help as a sign of weakness. People are taught from a young age to be independent and 'tough'. The disintegration of the family just furthers add to the problem.

Another thing I have often heard on American TV, is "I don't want your pity". Why ever not? If it comes from the right place, pity can be a good thing!
Even if you call it sympathy or fellow-feeling, or compassion, which simply means "feeling-with"..
Vicky

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Plz...

Afraid I have to agree with you, whether it is popular to or not. I learned a long time ago that if you seek help, people will help you. Just ask. We live in the land of plenty here in the USA and there is no shortage of people who are incredibly generous. I don't know if it's a Bible reference but I've often heard "God helps those who helps themselves". In other words: if you are sick, sure, pray for good health...but in the meantime get yourself to a clinic and get the medical attention you need. Don't expect miracles. Nurses and Doctors go to school for a real long time just so they can help us. Take advantage of their love and knowledge and get the help you need.

And this "help yourself and God will help you" can be applied to many categories in life. Let common sense prevail! If a blood transfusion is going to save your life, get the transfusion. Do you think your God is going to be happy when you show up dead before your time because you adhered to some man-made policy? Good grief!

There is an old joke about a man caught on the roof of his house due to flooding. Someone comes by in a rowboat and says "come on man, I'm going to safety! Come with me!" But the man on the roof says "no, God will save me!" - The man on the roof then turns down help from two other sources, telling them 'God will save me!'
Well, the faithful man winds up dying of hypothermia on his rooftop. He goes to The Pearly Gates and is quite agitated to be dead. The man says to God "I've always been faithful! Why didn't you save me?"

God replies to the man: "Are you kidding? I sent a rowboat, I sent a helicopter, I sent the local search & rescue, but nooooooo, you sent them all away!"

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries

Plz...

Afraid I have to agree with you, whether it is popular to or not. I learned a long time ago that if you seek help, people will help you. Just ask. We live in the land of plenty here in the USA and there is no shortage of people who are incredibly generous. I don't know if it's a Bible reference but I've often heard "God helps those who helps themselves". In other words: if you are sick, sure, pray for good health...but in the meantime get yourself to a clinic and get the medical attention you need. Don't expect miracles. Nurses and Doctors go to school for a real long time just so they can help us. Take advantage of their love and knowledge and get the help you need.

And this "help yourself and God will help you" can be applied to many categories in life. Let common sense prevail! If a blood transfusion is going to save your life, get the transfusion. Do you think your God is going to be happy when you show up dead before your time because you adhered to some man-made policy? Good grief!

There is an old joke about a man caught on the roof of his house due to flooding. Someone comes by in a rowboat and says "come on man, I'm going to safety! Come with me!" But the man on the roof says "no, God will save me!" - The man on the roof then turns down help from two other sources, telling them 'God will save me!'
Well, the faithful man winds up dying of hypothermia on his rooftop. He goes to The Pearly Gates and is quite agitated to be dead. The man says to God "I've always been faithful! Why didn't you save me?"

God replies to the man: "Are you kidding? I sent a rowboat, I sent a helicopter, I sent the local search & rescue, but nooooooo, you sent them all away!"

Maybe so. But at this point,we don't actually know much about the situation. There's no telling what was left of the person's story. They may have sought help and weren't able to get much. Who knows?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries

I don't know if it's a Bible reference but I've often heard "God helps those who helps themselves".

It's really not! Apparently it was Benjamin Franklin... Sometimes people simply need help, and in the USA (or NZ) would be afraid to ask as they know the reaction would be suspicion, and criticism... "What did you do to get into this mess?" (That's what they would be asked in New Zealand anyway.)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
It's pretty bad when people can't go to the hospital for fear of large bills. I know someone right now that needs a life saving surgary but refuses to go to the hospital with no insurance. I don't blame her if I were in the same boat I wouldn't go either. I'd rather die then spend the rest of my life paying off a debt.
edit on 7-2-2011 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Hospitals cannot deny medical care. Many people pay their bills, many never do. Hospitals know this and treat a patient anyway. You can't get blood from a stone. I have no medical right now but if needed I would seek treatment if neccesary. I would pay what I could and that's that. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. There is no reason that this women should have gone without treatment. As for the boots she needed, I cannot fathom someone not helping this woman. I'm wondering if this story is true.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Plz...

Actually, the concept of "fault" here is nil. Unknown how old the girl is, but you probably don't realize what she might have been putting up with. There are many variables when it comes to asking for "help" from anybody, especially when her backround was only her father and herself. There are some people that do not "talk about their problems and keep to just family, no matter if it is only two...they do not ask for "help" until it has hit the point we can not deal with it ourselves. Some people are just like that. Whether it is out of pride, or fear of further humiliation.

For whatever reasons, this girl was invisible to both her co-workers and her boss. She and her father were invisible to her now caring neighbor. Using Craig's List...assuming she had a computer? Remember, she didn't even have a car...

You may be a young man...spent a lot of money on the girls...but in this particular case, this was a girl that appears to have been taught morals and respect...for some people it takes years to reach such wisdom...for others they have no concept.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join