It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War of the Worlds Radio broadcast- Witnesses claim to have been burned?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
We all know about the WotW radio broadcast. It caused massive panic in the United States. I hear about how many 'witnesses' claimed to have been burned by the Martian Death Rays or something similiar.

However, try as I might, I can't find any source for this. Does anybody have any links, or cited quotes from a book, detailing there witnesses (even simply saying that they came forward- names and dates aren't really important).

I do not believe anyone who says they were attacked by the Martians, but rather I'd like this as a bit of a profile. We know the Martians don't exist, so it would be interesting if I had a source of people either lying or hallucinating about something as grand.

Evne if you don't have a source, does anyone else recall hearing this?

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Do you have any memory where/when you may have heard about this??

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
No. I recently read a post on a different board by somebody who brought it up (how people have panicky hallucinations about aliens and used the WotW as an example). When I read it, I remembered having read about it before, but could not for the life of me remember where.

It could be I'm jumbling memories together and that I never actually heard it. However, if it is true, it's something I think is very important for us to know.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
here's a link that may be of interest to you

www.csicop.org...

I don't think it mentions anyone actually reporting getting burnt, but someone did "apparently" feel the heat wave

One person became convinced that they could smell the poison gas and feel the heat rays as described on the radio, while another became emotionally distraught and felt a choking sensation from the imaginary "gas"

If your interested in the war of the worlds, you may find this thread that I posted a while back interesting
www.abovetopsecret.com...
there are a couple of links in the thread that might be worth taking a look at.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I actually own a tape of the 1938 broadcast. It's very well done and I can honestly see how people might believe the attack was actually occuring (though Welles had a disclaimer at the beginning of the show, many people tuned in after the beginning because some boring dude was playing the piano on the period's most popular network. The people who switched over would have thought that the show -- which pretended to interupt a fake concert of its owan -- was real).

Unfortunately, the WoTWs broadcast has been used to many times to argue for the continued secrecy of UFOs. People often point out the panics that occured in 1938... however, in doing so they ignore the very storyline of WoTW, which involved a sudden and swift invasion... not just simple contact.

So far as the original question goes, I remember reading about a farmer who shot up his neighbor's water tower because he thought it was a martian war machine (something that wasn't too stupid considering that the machines in the story were described as giant turrets on tall stilts).

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Here is an MP3 format link
sounds.unknown.nu...

and real audio lin

sounds.unknown.nu...

check it out folks

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I actually own a tape of the 1938 broadcast. It's very well done and I can honestly see how people might believe the attack was actually occuring (though Welles had a disclaimer at the beginning of the show, many people tuned in after the beginning because some boring dude was playing the piano on the period's most popular network. The people who switched over would have thought that the show -- which pretended to interupt a fake concert of its owan -- was real).

Me too, listened to it nonstop one day after I bought it....amazing stuff, to visualize what the listeners are thinking at the time....
HIGHLY recommended listening...to understand HOW it worked so well....

top topics

join