It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussies waiting as others evacuate Cairo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Aussies waiting as others evacuate Cairo

bigpondnews.com

Many countries around the world have begun evacuating their nationals from strife-torn Cairo, at least 24 hours before Australians are due to see a government chartered Qantas 747 arrive at the capital's chaotic airport for them.

The government has chartered a Qantas 747 to take Australians from Cairo to either London or Frankfurt on Wednesday as deadly anti-government protests rage into a second week to force out beleaguered president Hosni Mubarak.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.news.com.au
bigpondnews.com

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Well i would hate to be there!!

There are about 1100 Aussies in Cairo as per our embacy and they are being offered free flights back to Australia or the UK if they choose to leave.

I have to say that is a good thing, at least the government is offering to foot the bill for flights out of Egypt.

I can't beleive how quickly this has gotten out of hand. There was no real lead up or warning... one minute it was fine and then things just went crazy.

Obviously things have been bad for awhile over there, it just goes to show how much the media is in control and how things are kept from us untill the SHTF...so to speak.

bigpondnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 31-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

Yes, but I wonder why the plane is not coming back to Australia..

Also, it's free...The US is charging their people,How scummy is that??

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
too bad they cant pay for natural disasters tho
pricks!
and cant make insurance companies pay for it
plus who would wanna get on a qantas plane!
more chance of dying on the plane i reckon

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by questcequecest

oh fair enough they have had some hiccups lately but Qantus is still one of the safest in the world and have the lowest fatality rate.... i dont think anyone has ever died on a Qantus flight...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Yeah that doesnt surprise me, the US would probably charge you to enter a disaster shelter....

That's true, i actually wrote that they are returning to Australia but thats not the case, i wonder why they arent flying back to Aus. So what happenes when they off-load you in London??

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

So what happenes when they off-load you in London??

You have to make your own way home..

But I bet the embassy staff don't get dumped in London.....

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

haha yeah, i am sure they will be looked after.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

What the hell do you expect from the Aussie Govt? They only initiated the flights yesterday.

The Australian Govt are always slow on the mark - then there's a catch!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

thats the catch buddy! if they are the only one without a fatality they must be due for one soon!!! if every other carrier has had a fatality!!! thats just statistics tho but who goes by them???!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

This is so hard to watch, I so worry about the protesters. I have connected their twitter tweets with mine. Coolottie. Outside contact will be so improtant for them. I read in one articile today that Israel is sending snippers into Egypt. I really fear for them .

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Well the UK has done nothing except advise those in the main three centers of protests.... Wishing you guys well getting your citizens out of the area

To be honest, if I was there, I would take my chances getting over to Sharm*.. at least I could do a little swimming
and chilling out, I'd be a shame to ruin the opportunity ... besides right now the resort would welcome the cash

*I admit that it is a bit of a treck to get to Sharm.. and Mubarak is meant to be in hiding there.
(images of Mubrak in a speedo on the beach with a long drink pretending to be a tourist *shudders up my spine*)

ETA: FCO Advise to British Nationals

We recommend that British nationals without a pressing need to be in Cairo, Alexandria or Suez leave by commercial means where it is safe to do so.

FCO
edit on 1/2/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I can imagine just how hard it is to get out of there. So many people go there from all over the world. I got stranded in Gatwick airport in London for 2 weeks and there was not even a riot going on. Everyone in the States assumes the American Embassy will take care of you. They are not in the caring for citizens business, usually no help at all for any reason.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie
I can imagine just how hard it is to get out of there. So many people go there from all over the world. I got stranded in Gatwick airport in London for 2 weeks and there was not even a riot going on. Everyone in the States assumes the American Embassy will take care of you. They are not in the caring for citizens business, usually no help at all for any reason.

Well, I tend to make my own plans.. and have to admit that I have no trust for Embassy staff.. so in this case I would take my chances with a trip over the Sharm where holiday makers are still arriving..

I would not have been able to tolerate being stuck at Gatwick for 2 weeks... am impressed by anyone who could..

new topics

top topics

join