It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist Works to grow Meat!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This is my first post! I hope you enjoy. If this was posted before I appologize.

That's right scientists are starting to attempt to grow meat. Lamb, Pork, Beef, turkey, you name it they want to make it in a laboratory.

South Carolina Scientist works to grow meat

In a small laboratory on an upper floor of the basic science building at the Medical University of South Carolina, Vladimir Mironov, M.D., Ph.D., has been working for a decade to grow meat.

Atleast a Decade? Well this is news to me. Has anyone else known of this? I mean we can think of it, we do genetically modify crops, but to grow just meat? It says they are starting in the Netherlands, but not yet in the United states due to financial Issues.

Growth of "in-vitro" or cultured meat is also under way in the Netherlands "It's classic disruptive technology," Mironov said. "Bringing any new technology on the market, average, costs $1 billion. We don't even have $1 million."...
"I believe we can do it without genes. But there is no evidence that if you add genes the quality of food will somehow suffer. Genetically modified food is already normal practice and nobody dies."...
"Further out, if we have interplanetary exploration, people will need to produce food in space and you can't take a cow with you."...
"Dr. Mironov has taken myoblasts -- embryonic cells that develop into muscle tissue -- from turkey and bathed them in a nutrient bath of bovine serum on a scaffold made of chitosan (a common polymer found in nature) to grow animal skeletal muscle tissue. Genovese said scientists want to add fat. And adding a vascular system so that interior cells can receive oxygen will enable the growth of steak, say, instead of just thin strips of muscle tissue."

My question to those on ATS. How do you feel about this? Is it Humane? (they are only using the vascular system, muscle, and fat cells so is it ALIVE?) Would you trust it? And Vegitarians, would you consider eating meat? And with the short supply of food on the planet this COULD help solve hunger in certain areas, however I doubt we will just hand it over to the Etheopians and such countrys. Your Thoughts

edit on 31-1-2011 by AudioGhost because: Fix Link, Fix Quotes

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 1/2/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Reminds me of Better off Ted, no I have no qualms about meat, but I just think God/Nature whatever did a better job of 'growing' meat than humans ever will, and would certainly not eat if unless absolutely necessary.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AudioGhost

As the article pointed out, we eat lot's of cultured stuff now. Sure, I'd eat it if it tasted good. I'm not prone to fear new things, but plenty of people are afraid of anything new, so it probably won't happen until the populace gets beyond their irrational fear of the new.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I don't see how it would be any different to normal meat. We've been genetically modifying plants for a good few 1000 years now, I think it's good we're at the stage were we have the potential to feed every person on the planet. I just hope this doesn't go to waste. I really hope that in 20 or 30 years when this process is fully understood and in full swing we will no longer see headlines about starving people in Africa, or even in our own countries!

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AudioGhost

Fantastic! No more slaughter of innocent animals to satisfy the blood lust.
Good find S&F

new topics

top topics

join