It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***Communicate if Your Government Shuts Off Your Internet: (a must know piece)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Sorry, problem getting message out!!!

The PTB will have an action/wish list of things to do if the real SHTF in terms of an up-rising of any sort. They would pull the plugs on the easy stuff first, internet, cell phones and even land lines. further down the list would be for them to hand out the same directions to the local enforcers that you gave to find the deaddrops. For all the good the limited effectiveness that deaddrops would do, they don't seem very practical. The enforcers could install virsuses in them and leave them in place, smash them or set up serveilance to catch the users. Not a smart idea, deaddrops.

I frankly don't think there is much chance for any common form of communication to be operating for civilain use beyond standard, short-range CB radios and maybe CBs illegally increased in power. Perhaps the only chance would be to tune into the military/law enforcement frequencies and used them for short, coded messages when they are quiet. All of these could be blocked if the need arose. My advice, buy a used race horse and feed it well even if it does look a little strange tied up outside of your apartment. After all, was Paul Revere wrong?

edit on 30-1-2011 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Its REALLY old school but have yall considered a "radio network"?

www.google.com...:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

These are just a few basic plans. Most are set to be good for only a few hundred yards but can be EASILY tweaked to get out a few miles. Power for xmtr could be off of solar and recievers can be totally un powered (crystal set).

Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by felonius

I read something similar recently.

It was going on about an ISP-less internet that 'alternative' groups were building in case they did try to shut off comms between the world.

It's based on Wi-Fi, and uses your router and wifi devices to daisy chain wifi routers and make an adhoc network. Apparently someone has designed software to make all the magic happen, but i don't know where, so no links - sorry.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but that's more or less what i read...how far they've got is anyone's guess.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Couldn't the Government issue martial law, eliminating the need for a "law" or kill switch? The military takes over and does what they think is best, one of those things being limiting the comunication of people they feel pose a threat, which would also include people that may not pose a threat. I think that killing the internet/cell service is a very likely.

After 9/11 many major cities put together reaction plans and scenarios in case something like that would ever happen to them. They included 1st responders, local law enforcement and local goverment. They put a plan together and acted it out.

We should put together a list of viable options of getting important information out to others in the case our "normal" ways of comunication is cut off. Once we have a list, we should put together our own scenario and see if our option works.

You could even have some act as the people trying to stop this comunication and see if it can be stopped and if so how was it done.

We can talk about it but if it isnt practiced or if we are all on different formats it wont work and the day that you need to use this is not the day to test it out. Practice it first.

For those that say this will never happen, I and everyone else hope you are correct. But what is said many times is you Plan For The Worst and Hope For The Best!

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
You know, one thing for sure-after reading all the post replys.

Is that you/us need to get ready now. Not wait until something is about to happen or already has.

It seems that tech swavy people have some good ideas but implimenting them at a needed time may turn out to be more problematic-and dangerous.

Let's hope we never get to that point. But also, start getting ready.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
You know, one thing for sure-after reading all the post replys.

Is that you/us need to get ready now. Not wait until something is about to happen or already has.

It seems that tech swavy people have some good ideas but implimenting them at a needed time may turn out to be more problematic-and dangerous.

Let's hope we never get to that point. But also, start getting ready.

The key to that is to have it in place ahead of time. Don't wait to put it in place and test it out until after they pull the plug.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
reply to post by Asktheanimals

That would be Dead Drops ... offline, peer to peer, anonymous file-sharing.

[ETA]

here's a map of current 'deaddrop' locations ... with more apparently being added all the time.
deaddrops.com...

edit on 1/29/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

I am surprised some one has not stopped this removed or destroyed the drives. It bet it will not be long before something happens. The location of the drives may need to be keep a little more secret. I wonder how many are out there that are not on that list.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I don't understand. What is the point of this? Also, how is this secure if people post where they have left the USB drive? I suppose that understanding the point may obviate the need to know the answer to the second question.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
People I hate to break the news, but if you think the US wouldnt do the same thing, you are in denial. It's so funny to hear our gov say Egypt is wrong by cutting off their internet, but that is the FIRST thing the US would do in a major uprising.

Communication is organization and the PTB wouldnt want:
A) A way for people to meet/communicate
B) Share information that would further enrage more citizens
C) Share information with other countries

If something drastic doesnt change here soon in the US, you will all see what desperate governments do...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
While reading all the threads on Egypt and their internet shut down I noticed many sites were reporting that the main isp's were shut down one remain completely active, the Noor network.

www.guardian.co.uk...

So it got me to wondering, what provider does the New York Stock Exchange use? In the event that a similar event were to unfold in the US the stock exchange would be the last thing to be closed, if it ever is closed. The Egyptians still have not closed Noor, despite they had closed the stock exchange.

So does anyone know what network the NYSE uses?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Although It's possible, I really don't see It happening.
Can you Imagine the backlash from the masses?

These time's we live In, The Internet Is more addictive then Cocaine.

That is a point to keep clearly in mind. Now let's consider provacation in terms of depop. SnF

edit on 30-1-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Woah - there are several deaddrops in my area already...might have to take an old laptop out and see if I can get anything

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Ok, so I work for an ISP. And have been thinking about this for a while.
If the Govt passes the law, deeming ISP as public utilities, then yes they will have the authority to shut them down. But, the ability to communicate via wireless/wifi home networks will still exist. That is, unless the Govt deploys massive amounts of signal jamming equipment in all areas.
Using and connecting to open neighboring networks will help to re-create an intranet, until the wireless networks can connect to others in such a large source.
The knowledge to do this is very much common knowledge for the tech geeks out in the world now.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Netsukuku and seven degrees of seperation. But it won't matter, because there are things that are out there that should be feared more than tyranical Men; God above all else.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Just remember, the government has some of the most brilliant techs. They have some of the best IT and programmers available. To shut down the ISP's wouldnt be a problem. You state that if a law was passed making the ISPs a public utitlity.. ISP already work hand in hand with the government giving them access to millions of users histories.. illegally IMHO. Not to mention, if the government wants the internet off, they make it happen via gunpoint at worst case scenario.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cloud9TN

Netsukuku is P2P decentralized nodes with the drawback being that you need to buy a receiver.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Crazy times we live in. If they are proposing legislation for a "kill switch", there has to be a reason. After seeing Iran do it last year I knew it was only a matter of time before some new laws came about here. Pretty much set in stone now with what's going on. Aside from people going bonkers, this economy can't function without internet access.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

If your government shuts down your internet, shut down your government.

Straight up.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Because the service provider may have no say in other countrys, its all servers, hurt the main one down and no service, but you have dozens of providers, still you have satlilite service . Those to shut them down, you need a Presidental order

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join