It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF Nimrods scrapped?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Hey one of a few threads i ever make, ive done a search on here for any to do with the Nimrod but came up with no results. I was just watching sky news and its came up with some breaking news that the Nimrod is now getting scrapped as we speak.

I went on sky news website and read a headline on the home page. I have tried putting the URL address but when i previewed the post it didnt work and for whatever reason ATS isnt allowing me to post my source. I might be doing something wrong.

So whats peoples views on this?

I use to love watching the Nimrod fly as a young boy at air shows around the UK, loud but beautiful aircraft with its famous search light on its wing. Could be the reason for some UFO sightings
Sad to see it go and it makes me grow concerned about our armed forces. Reading some of the comments from people on sky news saying that its an old aircraft with old technology, which i can see but it worries me that their is no replacement. Just makes me feel a bit sad

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I would say angry, especially the way they are being dismantled so quickly to ensure the program has a zero chance of a reprieve..

and we know whatever aircraft we get as a replacment will be designed elsewhere which is very sad since we have so much invested in this one

besides personally I loved the design (along with the Victor and Vulcan)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
they must have some top secret replacement surely.I cant belive they would just scrap the nimrod with no plans in place to replace it my veiw is there is something better they have built they just wont tell us about it

just found this though may be of some intrest
www.ainonline.com...
edit on 27-1-2011 by shauneastmond because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Whatever the performance was like aside, the Vulcan was one very cool looking plane.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Absolutely and with the news of sharing carriers with France, it really does bother me. Not only is the Nimrod used for military purposes they aided in search and rescue, getting to far away places before a helicopter. So its just not our armed services being affected its sailors and cruise liners travelling through the atlantic and the north the sea or anywhere for that matter.

As for the Vulcan and Victor .. amazing. There is a Vulcan at an airport near me, Southend On Sea, its does taxi runs sometimes and there is a sponsor and charity to keep it running and possibly flying

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by shauneastmond

Interesting thanks for the reply

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by shauneastmond
they must have some top secret replacement surely.I cant belive they would just scrap the nimrod with no plans in place to replace it my veiw is there is something better they have built they just wont tell us about it

just found this though may be of some intrest
www.ainonline.com...
edit on 27-1-2011 by shauneastmond because: (no reason given)

You got that right! All of these beautiful old aircraft, with noise and dirty exhausts are going to be scrapped. Hopefully, they will send at least one to the US so we can have a "keepsake" of that particular style and era.

The replacement will be the new, general-purpose craft, the notoriously known in UFO circles but NEVER spoken about in conventional aviation circles, the so-called black triangles.

edit on 27-1-2011 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

I am just left scratching my head as to the speed at which this Gov is moving in dismantling the services while expecting them to maintain a global presence

I really hope (and I really hate for history to repeat) they do not find out they suddenly need the planes, ships and what not they are scrapping..

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
why not sell them?
they sell all kinds of weapons.
they could easily sell them.
must be hiding some thing.
scrap them before any one can ask questions.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d2b96eaefe58.jpg[/atsimg]

According to an article from March 2009
the entire fleet was grounded temporarily because spare parts were unavailiable.

key.aero/military

Vital safety work on the RAF’s fleet of Nimrods has been completed on just one aircraft to date, according to the MoD.

Then in April it is announced that the quite a few will be flow to museums.

key.aero/military

“The Nimrod will make a dramatic addition to our collection of classic 1950s and 60s British aircraft” says Air Atlantique’s Classic Flight Commercial Manager, Steve Bridgewater.

In other news...
The replacement is the Boeing RC-135

David Grouchy

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

another article about it, with the headline 'Why smash up a brand new spy plane'

Thought id add a link to a video of a Nimrod at RAF Waddington in the UK
www.youtube.com...

Did try and embed but wouldnt work
edit on 27-1-2011 by ThePeaceMaker because: added link

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

the only reason i can think of is there is something out there that can replace it they just wont tell us

TR3-B anyone?????????????

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Would the UKs MoD have hands on a TR3-B or any type of black triangle aircraft?
2nd line

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by shauneastmond

the only reason i can think of is there is something out there that can replace it they just wont tell us

TR3-B anyone?????????????

Yep! Triangles. (See my earlier post on this thread.)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
there is no concrete proof of them though! if they do exist whos to say they belong to our goverment or even this wold IF they exist which i belive they do!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The Nimrod was removed due to safety reasons and also to save cash, with the removal of this wonderful aircraft has lead to RAF Kinloss being closed, There are no direct replacement aircraft at present, the UK government was looking at purchase / lease of EC3 aircraft but this fell through to

Russian Analysis

News Link - Click Here

The Tornado has capabilities in this role but is no where near a replacement, same with the Merlin and Seaking,

To the other poster about the UK having a Triangle TR3b, behave the do not exist, there a new UCAV in the UK, and there is the Sentinel aircraft of 902 EAW, i think that this is about it, its been a while

Project Taranis

Wee Mad Mental
edit on 27/1/2011 by weemadmental because: because Tiger Woods Told me to

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

I am just left scratching my head as to the speed at which this Gov is moving in dismantling the services while expecting them to maintain a global presence

I really hope (and I really hate for history to repeat) they do not find out they suddenly need the planes, ships and what not they are scrapping..

I'm afraid the cuts that this coalition ar edoing, by the time they are done cutting all the wrong things and raising the prices of everything, this country, Great Britain will NOT be Great anymore.

Besides, they need to cut the Nimrods because heaven forbid they should cut their expenses...i mean who needs protection from terrorism when the MP's need to get a taxi to London?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This decision has to one of the dumbest, most shortsighted, most ham-fisted in the history of UK defence cutting (and thats a long sad history).

An island Maritime nation without a Maritime patrol aircraft capability.

Dont confuse these MRA4 with the MRA2/R1 that were already retired. Although called Nimrod and looking externally similar the differences were huge. This was a new aircraft. Developed at a cost of 4 Billion. With a 25 year life ahead of it. Scrapped without serving at all.

Its a stupid decision implemented with haste to prevent the government from being forced into a u-turn when people realise how dumb it is.

There is no replacement. Thats naive. There is no sensible defence of the decision. Its pure politics from a bunch of politicians that dont know defence from donuts. Aided by supine service chiefs fearing for their pension the usual divide and conquer treasury manipulation of inter service protectionism. The govt told all the services to sacrifice something and they all sacrificed what they cared about least at each others expense. The RAF sacrificed Nimrod to protect other fast pointy things.

Sadly its just one travesty among many in a rushed, intellectually bankrupt, defence cutting exercise. We are a laughing stock.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

I'm afraid the cuts that this coalition ar edoing, by the time they are done cutting all the wrong things and raising the prices of everything, this country, Great Britain will NOT be Great anymore.

Besides, they need to cut the Nimrods because heaven forbid they should cut their expenses...i mean who needs protection from terrorism when the MP's need to get a taxi to London?

The whole thing is horrific, along with the Nimrods we close an airbase
I bet destroying a community
I fear the new armed services training videos will be by the presenters of Blue Peter

You are right, all the wrong things being cut, and this front loading of cuts really does seem like they are really egging everyone on the protest
I have no other way of explaining this insanity..
edit on 27/1/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

RAB

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The Nimrod thing I find odd at best stupid at worst. But in the long line or resent and pending bizarre decisions I cannot say I'm surprised.

The Nimrod MR4A, has no replacement, in the short mid term, the Tornado can do anti shipping but the harpoons that the Nimrod used have no pylon for the Tornado. (Tornado lacks range)
I cannot see the MOD buying the P3 or the P-6 Multi-mission Maritime Aircraft (P-3 Old and getting replaced) P6 will be expensive.

So lets assume that the Tornado takes Surface anti-shipping (cool jobs done :-) Submarine warfare different matter that'll drop to the navy and running submarines as we all know is cheap.

As for the Nimrod R1 we could get away with using the Sentinel R1 good range nice kit, O wait we'll be binning them in two / three years after Afghanistan op's.

As for triangles Taranis nice has a good size and a weapons bay, but your really talking a good few years of dev work before that's ready (first flight sometime this year) but to be honest if I were BAe Systems I'd slow the development of Taranis so that it isn't hit by the cuts. And that the final prototype is as close to production as possible.

As for the future who knows. but to quote someone (cannot remember who) the next war we fight will be low, cold, muddy and will have a credible air-force!

RAB

top topics

<<   2 >>

join