It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ghost towns of China: Amazing satellite images show cities meant to be home to millions-Deserted

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

These amazing satellite images show sprawling cities built in remote parts of China that have been left completely abandoned, sometimes years after their construction. Elaborate public buildings and open spaces are completely unused, with the exception of a few government vehicles near communist authority offices. Some estimates put the number of empty homes at as many as 64 million, with up to 20 new cities being built every year in the country's vast swathes of free land. The photographs have emerged as a Chinese government think tank warns that the country's real estate bubble is getting worse, with property prices in major cities overvalued by as much as 70 per cent.

Ghost city: Kangbashi was meant to be the urban centre for wealthy coal-mining community Ordos and home to its one million workers, but its roads are eerily empty and the houses stand vacant

The mostly empty city of Bayannao¿er, which boasts a beautiful town hall and World Bank-sponsored water reclamation building

Property to let: Zhengzhou New District is China's biggest ghost city, complete with entire blocks of totally empty accommodation

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/50bd530c659c.jpg[/atsimg]
Zhengzhou New District features vast public buildings that have never been used

Source: www.dailymail.co.uk...

There are more pics at the main source. Just amazing. What is the $$$ amount for all of this. And for what REAL purpose. A promise to it's citizens of a better life etc?

Or, are they preparing for something more sinister? I am going to look for some more info. Any ATSer able to speak first hand about these places and/or reasons etc?

Just seems pretty freaking ODD!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
These are fascinating pictures! Maybe building all of these cities is a "make work project" . I flagged you to keep the link active to see if anyone has any ideas. I would not mind trading in my city for a nice clean one!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It could be a few things:

1) China's population numbers are fudged.
2) They are planning ahead building new cities knowing they are going to need them for future citizens.
3) They are planning ahead building new cities knowing they are going to need them for future slaves (USA).
4) Toxic Chemical Spill

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
"If you build it they will come"

That's if of course their wages of peanuts could afford to buy and live there.

China denies there is a real-estate bubble? Seems to me there is plenty of real estate available and not just there but in their other cities.

Here's an interesting perspective....
China’s psychological warfare and the US

However, China has its own economic problems. Besides a housing bubble that could burst as soon as next month, they are also struggling with hyperinflation and food shortages in some places that have brought about riots. With all the human rights violations that are being brought out regarding the Chinese government and the fact that they haven’t exactly been helpful in discouraging the nuclear ambitions of Iran and North Korea, it’s not likely that the U.N. would allow them to play a significant role in foreign affairs until they prove that they are going to be more willing to cooperate with U.N. interests. No one is talking about what China’s deficit looks like, but the fact that they have a huge housing bubble suggests that they aren’t any better off than the rest of the world.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The last image shows cars on the road and parking lots full of vehicles?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I don't see why you all have to be so cynical about it.

I think they are just preparing. I mean, think about it, why would you build an entire city and leave it unoccupied? It doesn't LOOK like a concentration camp, nor does it look like a 'slave' city. In fact, its outright gorgeous. China IS the second largest country in the world, right? In terms of size, that is. We'll just have to wait and see what it is, but I for one, will not be negative about this - I think its a sign for things to come.

Are there any official explanations out there?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jacksterson

Nothing official. Everything I have found goes back to this whole housing bubble thing.

Sorry. I keep looking.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Along with some cars, there is at least 1 boat in the water as well.
Ghost town, not to the total definition.
But odd.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

If you look at the photos on the street in Google Maps, that place sure looks empty for as many buildings as there are.

Granted, this is a small section of that larger metro area, and if you look south about a mile, it looks very congested. So maybe it's empty because it's off limits to poor people? Never-the-less, why is it so empty?

edit on 24-1-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This is very interesting. James Clavell of the Shogun, Tai-Pan, Gai-Jin series of books writes how the Asian mind works as opposed to the Western ways of doing things. The Chinese are nothing like us. We have little in common with the Chinese, yet we act as though there are no differences between us. To them, it would not be unusual to think a hundred years in the future. China has over 300 million middle class people. A billion is one thousand million. They have 1.6 billion people. They can rule the world if they ever get it all working. China is so big, in land as well as population, that America's days of dominance may be drawing to a close.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jacksterson

China is the third or fourth biggest country by land mass, not the second. The top three are Russia, Canada, and either China or the US. But back to the thread, I see these as being something similar to the North Korean border "city" of Kijŏng-dong. It's supposedly inhabited by up to 200 families, but all intelligence suggests it's actually inhabited only by border troops. Most buildings are assumed to be completely empty concrete shells. Up until recently, speakers broadcasted DPRK propaganda day and night. In essence, it's a false city built to show "prosperity" to the West.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Its the daily mail and thus shouldnt be taken as a credible source.

Theres lots of car in the car park in the 3rd pic.

They say the buildings are empty, they can see through concrete now?

Ive seen my city look deserted, it happens when England are playing in the world cup. The pics could have been taken during a similar event.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

en.wikipedia.org...

Western media: "Ghost town"Kangbashi was made world famous by a news report in November 2009 from AlJazeera,[4] later picked up and expanded through an April 2010 article in Time magazine,[5] for having few residents but massive amounts of empty residential housing and high-tech public works projects. Subsequent reports have supported the claims that Kangbashi only presently houses around 20,000 to 30,000 people.[6]

Industry: Local industrial projects include a contract with Huatai Hyuntai Automobile Group to produce 50 thousand vehicles a year in a new factory, and cooperated with Beijing CICC and Inner Mongolia Power (group) Co., Ltd in building 4*300 thousand-watt power and heat plant, a key project in the Eleventh Five-Year Plan in Inner Mongolia.[3]

History and constructionWith an expanding district due to economic exploitation of the local natural resources, but dwindling water supplies due to the continual expansion of the Ordos Desert, Ordos officials were faced with a local infrastructure planning problem. Hence in 2003, Ordos city officials launched the creation of a new 1 million person city district. Located on a 355 square kilometres (137 sq mi) site 25 kilometres (16 mi) from the existing city of Dongsheng, the new city is located next to three existing reservoirs on the site of two former villages.[1]

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I don't think China's evil though I do know there communist and I don't agree with that sort of goverment. So I don't think they're planning on enslaving americans or anything like that. That being said though this city does make alot of sense for a War point of view.

An empty city like this has alot of chokepoints and it's not as easy to drive a tank or march solider's through as open field or forrest.

I don't think they're going to go to war with the US but if they are planning on fighting a war at some time, this is a pretty good tatic to use incase of invasion.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle

If you look at the photos on the street in Google Maps, that place sure looks empty for as many buildings as there are.

Granted, this is a small section of that larger metro area, and if you look south about a mile, it looks very congested. So maybe it's empty because it's off limits to poor people? Never-the-less, why is it so empty?

edit on 24-1-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

Looks pretty busy to me.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2f53bba75a73.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Considering it is China. That doesn't look pretty busy to me. Especially for a city built that size.

Don't fall for the Bright lights, smoke and glitter.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dillweed
This is very interesting. James Clavell of the Shogun, Tai-Pan, Gai-Jin series of books writes how the Asian mind works as opposed to the Western ways of doing things. The Chinese are nothing like us. We have little in common with the Chinese, yet we act as though there are no differences between us. To them, it would not be unusual to think a hundred years in the future. China has over 300 million middle class people. A billion is one thousand million. They have 1.6 billion people. They can rule the world if they ever get it all working. China is so big, in land as well as population, that America's days of dominance may be drawing to a close.

dillweed, You have a very good grasp on this subject, You are Correct, Please don't try and think like an Oriental, Unless You're an Oriental. You are also correct in your reasoning that it has a lot to do with the new middle class Chinese. Star for your wisdom.

anon72, My Good Friend, I tried to reply last night, Twice! I had lost the Internet Twice after typing my reply to your Great Thread! S & F for you my friend.

China, The Beautiful and Mysterious Country.
First off, I'd like to give you a link to my home city in China, My parents still live there and to be truthful we Harbiner's are very proud of our Beer and our City of Lights.
Please use the link here: www.telegraph.co.uk...
As you can see the Chinese like to do things in a Big-Way!

Now to be back on topic, Much like dillweed mentioned above, China has a middle class and a upper middle class of peoples not ever known before in resent Chinese history. But, the Central Committee seen this economic Boom coming and started to prepare for it.

YES, They built these large cities and now they have Chinese Citizens staying in China and continuing to prosper. I think if you look, you'll find that Chinese bought more Fords or GM's in 2010 than Americans.

The reason you don't see many privately owned vehicles parked out on the street or driving around the neighborhood is simple, Fuel is expensive and so is car insurance, the cost of a new car is very expensive.
China has some of the best and timely public transportation of any country and very well maintained.

Now with the emergence of the new middle and upper middle class peoples, they of-course need homes, and not your average Government Issued Apartment, Did you notice the Government Issued Part?
They would like to own something nice, new and different, than what they grew up in and their parents still live in.

Now, how do you buy a new apartment or condo in China today, Well you need at least 30% to 50% down and then you can talk to your bank or a mortgage company, ( Mortgage Companies are New in China )
without that amount down and a really good job before they'll even talk to you about a loan.
As a matter of fact, when I was in China last year, my husband transfered the 40% down to me so I could finalize the papers for our new condo in China, That Wasn't Or Boat You See, It's Still In And Will Stay In Arizona. USA!!!!!

My husband wanted me to add: GUYS, you can go to China and go to a local bar, once you're there and you open your big mouth, You'll never pay for another drink all night, they'll even pour you into a Taxi and send you home when the bar closes.
The wifes home city is to Damn Cold,,,,, So South

edit on 26-1-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
There was a report on the BBC news website not so long ago (maybe a month or two) about the exact same thing. The gist of the report said that China is / was going through a boom and decided that building big new fancy pants cities would be wonderful and everyone would move to these new cities. Then the markets take a turn for the worse and dont look so good therefore the Chinese people dont move and besides where on earth would these people be moving from unless they expect even more migrant rural workers to up sticks and live in these cities.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ficargul

Ficargul, You might want to read this story and it is Really Accurate.

China has a growing housing market, try this link: China to create largest mega city in the world with 42 million people

www.telegraph.co.uk...
The new mega-city will cover a large part of China's manufacturing heartland, stretching from Guangzhou to Shenzhen and including Foshan, Dongguan, Zhongshan, Zhuhai, Jiangmen, Huizhou and Zhaoqing. Together, they account for nearly a tenth of the Chinese economy.

Mr Ma said that residents would be able to use universal rail cards and buy annual tickets to allow them to commute around the mega-city.

Twenty-nine rail lines, totalling 3,100 miles, will be added, cutting rail journeys around the urban area to a maximum of one hour between different city centres. According to planners, phone bills could also fall by 85 per cent and hospitals and schools will be improved.
By the end of the decade, China plans to move ever greater numbers into its cities, creating some city zones with 50 million to 100 million people and "small" city clusters of 10 million to 25 million.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a299444a8a56.jpg[/atsimg]

China has been thinking ahead for a while now. Economic reforms began in 1978 and occurred in two stages. The first stage, in the late 1970s and early 1980s, involved the de-collectivization of agriculture, the opening up of the country to foreign investment, and permission for entrepreneurs to start up businesses.

The private sector grew remarkably, accounting for as much as 70 percent of China's GDP by 2005, a figure larger in comparison to many Western nations. From 1978 to 2010, unprecedented growth occurred, with the economy increasing by 9.5% a year. China's economy became the second largest after the United States.

Now, I'm going to let you in on a little secrete, This started after Chairman Mao's death and they ousted his main leftist supporters, and put in a reformists led by Deng Xiaoping who believed in economic reforms for China.
WHAM,,, BHAM ,,, Thank You Mam,,, We have the beginnings of a Middle Class in China

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

You just make my mouth drop about every time I read your post. You present things in such an understandable way. At least for me anyway.

Thank you for your replies and info. I never knew of this middle class/upper middle class, Chinese banking/housing etc/Fords & GM's.

I have to say you have made me think a little differently about China. I was on the War is on the Way with China bandwagon but now I am starting to think that they are building up militarily to protect their business/investments/growth. honestly-who can blame them. If you got it... do it.

Thank you again.

PS. You deserve flags!!! I wish there was a way the OP could give flags away... or at least one per thread etc. I think this posting set would be about the 6th one I would have given you. Peace
edit on 1/26/2011 by anon72 because: added P.S.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join