It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Police Officers killed US Marshall wounded in Tampa St. Petersburg Florida

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

On any given day, such violence against police officers would be disturbing. But the fatalities capped a particularly violent 24 hours in the United States for the men and women in blue. Eleven police officers were shot. news.blogs.cnn.com...

From a blog, but wow...11 shot in 24 hours?

Another story...same subject...Police fear 'war on cops'

"It's not a fluke," said Richard Roberts, spokesman for the International Union of Police Associations. "There's a perception among officers in the field that there’s a war on cops going on."

edit on 1/24/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder
reply to post by dizzie56

That's very sad more life's ruined for no reason, condolences to the family's.

I find it extremely odd that only two LEO's and one Marshall would show up to arrest a known (very lrg) felon for aggravated batt. This guy has been arrested for sexual assault, kidnapping, grand theft, etc.... spent 18 yrs behind bars, is a registered sex offender and you show up with two cops and a Marshall? I don't want to take anything away from the loss of life or start ANY sort of political ##, please. I just find this some what ignorant on the part of the Police Dept.. My town would have had a swat team and a lot of backup on this guy if they knew they were going to arrest someone with a record like him. Anyone else see some thing wrong with this picture? Please, let's keep it civil, innocent lifes have been lost.

Strange why did they not call the swat team with full body armor.
Tough cops that bit off more then they could handle.

In Calif anyone with two or more violent felonies gets automatic swat team as Calif is a three strikes state and many criminals looking at life in prison tend to go down shooting.(right there a good reason to put them down)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I do think this is a case of excessive force.

Why?

Because their tactic of violent confrontation without much planning or thought, the kind of attitude that usually leads to them unnecessarily killing or wounding or beating and kicking the stuffing out of others - often innocents - has today tragically lead to the deaths of two of them and the wounding of a third.

Think about it - 911 call, arrive at home, caller answers door, so Police have her she is safe. The guy is basically trapped in a box. What do you do if you're the Police?

Do you NEED to initiate a gunfight?

You have everything on your side, including time, there are no hostages. The guy is trapped. They must have known he had or could have a gun from the woman. The only way anyone should have died if if the guy in the attic decided to shoot himself. How do you mess that up, unless you are eager for blood and itching for a gunfight and rush into a confrontation?

No, this was - IMO - likely another needless case of excessive, kneejerk, macho, trigger happy Police violence with the unusal twist that this time they paid for it with their lives rather than with the lives of the civillians
they are supposed to preserve if at all possible, both innocents and criminals.
edit on 24-1-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I was suggesting a grenade to take him out, they had a bulldozer.

I'm watching the footage now and they used a bulldozer to rip the roof open and get him.

They are just now releasing the names of the officers and the marshall involved.

A few more details the wife said he told her he was going to kill her if she didn't stay with him.

He might of been intoxicated have to wait for toxicology reports, I personally would not find it hard to believe.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly
I was suggesting a grenade to take him out, they had a bulldozer.

I'm watching the footage now and they used a bulldozer to rip the roof open and get him.

A bulldozer? Destroy a house to get him? Ridiculous. Where is the slow clap smilie.

Quite an apt metaphor for the common and deadly Police habit of using 'a sledgehammer to crack a nut'.

Sometimes the nut ricochets and hits you in the eye.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

War on police? Consider United States lucky. It's not even a war on bankers.

When people start to gun down bankers, that when the real game begins.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Hindsight is 20/20. There have been a couple of responses about how they should have showed up with more cops/swat team/etc to serve the warrant. If this happened and a shootout still went down, how many people would be jumping and foaming at the mouth to say that the cops involved were just acting macho by showing such a force and the guy had every right to "defend" himself? How many people on here would be playing devils advocate for this guy saying "Well, he never really got 'charged' with such and such a charge. He never went up before a jury of his peers so he is innocent. What ever happened to inocent until proven guilty?"

They were serving a warrant for an arrest. They used the force that they deemed necassary by showing up with three officers. These cops did what they did and unfortunately it ended up in their deaths and injury. The guy obviously either had something wrong with him or just did not want to go back to jail. Remember, in florida we have the 3 strike rule and he would most definately go back to jail for life for threatening his girlfriend with death. He most likely just saw this as his only way out, sad really.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

I suppose the perp had a mind that was darker and much more complex than his brother the boxer?

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Bordon81

I recon, the two brothers are two different worlds it seems.

The bulldozer man, taught me a lesson, the attic is no match for a bulldozer.....

He killed two cops and shot a marshall, they were going to show a strong force,
Not for sure who actually owned the house,
I think this was his wifes house, if so I hope she had insurance, because there are
some major leaks now.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzie56

Maybe I misunderstood, but they have that offender listed as deceased?
I can't imagine they updated this quickly.

Never Mind.
edit on 24-1-2011 by Oaktree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

Yes, they are pretty quick since it is all on a computer database..

I'm watching 11pm news and they are showing the house, it is almost
totally demolished, down to a few pieces of wood left.

Dump trucks removing the debris quick...

Spot is almost an empty lot.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

Never said you did and sorry if you got that impression. I just see so many very negative posts about police, and then this happens.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join