It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What percentage of the money you work for do you get to 'keep'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I'm in California - 30% Fed income Tax, 10% State income Tax, 10% sales Tax.
I haven't totaled up the assorted 'fees' and taxes but I was shocked that 50% of my money is taken off the bat and I am way away from being called 'wealthy'. I would have totaled up the other parts but it was so depressing not to mention time consuming I couldn't.

50% tax is not right I am not getting anything for it the infrastructure has not been maintained let alone improved.

I had heard that the tax breaking point before the pesants revolt was in the high 40% bracket but since they take little bitty taxes on 'everything' they have flown way under the radar.

Would average Joes from the other 49 states post what percentage of you work for is taken away in taxes and fees tacked onto your utilities, fuel, vehicles (Is insurance a tax if you are required to purchase it? I would say yes, add in car and health insurance if they apply)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

Of course you benefit from the infrastructure, all of those red light cameras they put up helps you be safe, and helps you pay your fines and court costs much easier than ever before. You should be happy and complacent.

I just picked up my paycheck and noticed I made a whopping $3100, but $995 was taken out in fed taxes . Thats for 2 weeks, and with my paid time off that im never allowed to use paid out to me.

I obey. I love my leader and his saftey and comfort is my number one.

That's sarcasm. This country is disgusting.
edit on 22-1-2011 by sicksonezer0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

You can't add percentages like that. Unless you spend all of your after-taxed income on products other than food or bills or rent or anything else that sales tax doesn't apply to.

If you look at your pay stub you should be able to calculate your taxes instead of just assuming whatever it is you hear or read is the truth. 30% tax on your federal would mean you're making a LOT of money, seeing as 35% is the cap, so to say that you don't make much money is a misnomer.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Your taxes are contributing to all the low hanging fruit for those who don't feel like planting their own fruit trees.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Don't forget in CA you're paying about 45 cents per gallon of gasoline (18.4 fed and the rest state and local). And, like you mentioned, all the little "fees" added to your utility bills, the property taxes, the vehicle registration, etc., etc, etc. ad nauseum.

I once began saving every receipt at the beginning of the year, with the intention of keeping an accounting of every tax and fee I pay. I'm not sure if I became angry and stopped or just lazy. Maybe I'll take on that task for 2011.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Income tax is the worst tax, because you are being taxed on an even swap.

You trade your time and skill for a wage. It is an even trade. There is no gain to be taxed.

The United States went over 100 years without an income tax, and we need to return to that.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ..5..

So.....incorporate !

become a independent contractor... even for the company you work for

its all a matter of playing the game
if you continue to be a serf to the corporate 'Lord' you will continue to relinquish 70%
of your wealth/earnings to the tax

that's all i can say without getting targeted

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
It is all a zero sum game. If tomorrow taxes would be zero on everything, everybody would have more money to go around, but gradually inflation would work its way through the system. However there would still be that window of opportunity.
edit on 24-1-2011 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cassius666
It is all a zero sum game. If tomorrow taxes would be zero on everything, everybody would have more money to go around, but gradually inflation would work its way through the system. However there would still be that window of opportunity.
edit on 24-1-2011 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

If money was pegged to Gold then inflation would not be as bad..

BTW, here in Australia it's around 40-50% total..

The one that gets me is "stamp duty"..
When you buy a car or a house..New or used doesn't matter..
On a $200000 house it's around $10000..For what? What the hell is stamp duty??

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
What we need is first an interest free monetary system. It is a basic unfairness to tax the money itself, but the FED have been doing this for years. Second, we need to get rid of the income tax, let a person take home what they make, a fair day's wage for a fair day's work. Third we need to get rid of all the hidden taxes. Let me illustrate:
A farmer decides to grow carrots, let us say. He pays property tax on the land. He buys the seed, pays a tax. He works the ground with a tractor, which he paid a tax on when he bought it, and more tax later. The fuel he uses is taxed, so is the motor oil, tires, and any parts he uses. He grows the carrots, and then it is harvest time. He again pays the taxes associated with running equipment, and pays a truck to take his carrots to market, the truck of course pays a tax on everything it needs too, plus a road, or highway tax, and excise tax. Finally the carrots are in the warehouse, again property tax, inventory tax, tax of the electricity to render the carrots for sale. Then the carrots go to market, again in a truck with the taxes attached. Now the carrots are in the store, and you buy a bunch for dinner. You pay a tax on your car, and gas to get to market, unless you walk there, and again you pay a tax on the carrots you bought. Add this all up. You are paying hidden taxes through the nose, people!

We need a Flat Tax, or a Consumer Tax. A pay at the register tax. Seriously, look below at the number of taxes (I may have forgot some, I hope not!) we all have to pay!

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
Capital Gains Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel permit tax
Gasoline Tax
Hunting License Tax
Income Tax
Inheritance Tax
Interest expense
Inventory tax
IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service charge taxes
Social Security Tax
Road usage taxes
Sales Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone federal excise tax
Telephone federal universal service fee tax
Telephone federal, state and local surcharge taxes
Telephone minimum usage surcharge tax
Telephone recurring and non-recurring charges tax
Telephone state and local tax
Telephone usage charge tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

Not a SINGLE ONE of these taxes existed 100 years ago,
and yet we were one of the most successful nations in the world.

We had absolutely no national debt, the largest middle class anywhere in the world & Mom was able to stay home to raise the kids. As a result, kids got the needed attention from both their parents, Dad & Mom did NOT have to work two or three jobs just to make ends meet, they weren't out joining gangs, getting pregnant and shooting up their schools. Not to mention they now have absolutely no future, even if they graduate.

This country was so rich, so prosperous, it was the ideal destination for the waves of immigrants who wanted "a better life". It was the dream of everyone to live here in America - NOT ANY MORE.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
27% of my monthly income comes off my pay cheque, then there's 20% VAT on all purchases, then there's the Tax on fuel both for my car and for heating and hot water, then there's the TV licence, that's a form of tax, then we have road tax. All in all, I work out that yeah, similarly, 50% of my income goes to the government.

Tax sucks and what's more, things like national insurance (which pays for the NHS) don't cover prescriptions. So Basically, we here in the UK pay for doctors that often have no idea what's wrong with you when you finally get an appointment, who then prescribe some drugs that 'might' cure said ailment and you have to pay £7.20 for the pleasure. I could rant all day.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Don't even want to think about the numbers. It's called slavery.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

All in all, I work out that yeah, similarly, 50% of my income goes to the government.

But you know what the real kicker is??
I had my own business so I had to by law collect all this TAX for the Government..
If I made a mistake collecting THEIR money for THEM, I was liable..!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
reply to post by fiftyfifty

All in all, I work out that yeah, similarly, 50% of my income goes to the government.

But you know what the real kicker is??
I had my own business so I had to by law collect all this TAX for the Government..
If I made a mistake collecting THEIR money for THEM, I was liable..!!!

We are in a lose lose situation. The only winners are the big corporations, the government and the elite higher class with unimaginable amounts of money to normal people. It seems the harder you work, the more you are penalised.

top topics

join