It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can God commit suicide?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

Why do you say that? Do you think there is no situation where suicide is a dignified action?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne
I don't believe that humans can truly erase the energy within. To me suicide is not the end of existence rather it's another transformation.

Well, that's not what you asked, and not what I answered. For human beings, suicide is obviously an act that one can perform, but I don't know that I've seen any system of values that relegates it to merely "another transformation." Non-spiritualists will say that it leads to oblivion, theists will say that it leads to condemnation, and pretty much everyone agrees that it's a bad idea.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. If there is something going on in your life that is leading you down that path, please take a moment to think about the impact it will have on those around you, and the fact that no matter how bleak things might seem, tomorrow brings new hope. I have seen very dark days in my life, but I'm always happy to see the light of each dawn.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Originally posted by adjensen

I don't believe that humans can truly erase the energy within. To me suicide is not the end of existence rather it's another transformation.

Well, that's not what you asked, and not what I answered. For human beings, suicide is obviously an act that one can perform, but I don't know that I've seen any system of values that relegates it to merely "another transformation." Non-spiritualists will say that it leads to oblivion, theists will say that it leads to condemnation, and pretty much everyone agrees that it's a bad idea.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. If there is something going on in your life that is leading you down that path, please take a moment to think about the impact it will have on those around you, and the fact that no matter how bleak things might seem, tomorrow brings new hope. I have seen very dark days in my life, but I'm always happy to see the light of each dawn.

Thanks for your concern, but I'm doing rather well ... lol. Also, thanks for trying to explain what I meant with my own thread title ... I guess.

You can't have it both ways: either God is omnipotent or she can't really cook that burrito. It's actually that simple. What you are trying to do is circumvent logic and that doesn't smell right to me.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Thanks for your concern, but I'm doing rather well ... lol.

I'm glad to hear that, my concern was genuine, I assure you.

You can't have it both ways: either God is omnipotent or she can't really cook that burrito. It's actually that simple. What you are trying to do is circumvent logic and that doesn't smell right to me.

It's not a matter of "having it both ways", it's a matter of one of the ways being nonsensical, and therefore irrelevant.

Rather than reinvent the wheel and explain it beyond what I've already done, here's someone's essay on your question:
Can God Truly be Omnipotent?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
No, G-d cannot commit suicide. I would imagine in the Christian sense the Christian god Jesus committed suicide by the Crucifixion.
G-d and Us

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Thank you. I will read the link in a few minutes.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Sectumsempra

That opens up another enchilada ... Did Jesus sacrifice himself, or did he commit suicide?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

Well being Jewish I don't believe G-d can become human and I don't believe Jesus was G-d in human form. I do recall being a Christian Jesus worried about his death but he had to sacrifice himself for the sins. Since I'm Jewish now I don't believe in Christian views of the Bible.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sectumsempra
No, G-d cannot commit suicide. I would imagine in the Christian sense the Christian god Jesus committed suicide by the Crucifixion.

That's funny, I never thought of it that way but you're right.

Are you one of those Jews that practices/studies the Kabbalah? Just wondering. The Jewish mystical system really is interesting to me. I think that branch of Judaism is more accepting of other faiths around the world, seeing the truths inherent to all of them, more readily than any other of the Abrahamic faiths except maybe Gnostic Christianity.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Yes, I do somewhat. Chabad has many great articles on the Kabbalah.
Kabbalah (Chabad articles)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Not a really an "objective" site IMHO. Rather than negating logic I would say that omnipotence doesn't exist.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
"God" will die when all the stars in the universe have consumed all their fuel and there is no energy left to sustain life. That is when the universe will no longer be able to experience itself.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Nope. He is a spirit. Therefore, based on Einstein, God would have no mass and likewise would not be affected by time/eternal.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Azp420

The energy in a closed system (universe) is conserved. 1st law of thermodynamics.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Nope. He is a spirit. Therefore, based on Einstein, God would have no mass and likewise would not be affected by time/eternal.

I think Albert never tried to define/measure the mass of a spirit. I could be wrong though ...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

I think Albert never tried to define/measure the mass of a spirit. I could be wrong though ...

I didn't mean Einstein made the argument about God, but based on his Theory of Relativity God would not be affected by time.

It's not made of atoms or particles, it has no mass. It exists outside the space time dimension. That's how God declares the end from the beginning. he exists outside of the 4th dimension and can see the end of the parade from the start of it. Without mass His existence is not confined to time, space/locality, and therefore eternal. Time is not linear, it's now known to be a physical dimension for decades. It was created thing, I think "time" began at the fall of man.
edit on 21-1-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Totally just blew my mind, thanks.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
defintion: seeing the difference between G-d and thyself. Meeting purpose of life. Go that far you can stop when you are at it.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Well, the title says it all. God is omnipotent, so I guess she could commit suicide? Is that theologically plausible?

Thank you for your time.

I have negative feedback coming my way. There is something about you I do not like.

You are asking all the wrong questions.

Has God killed Himself?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Einstein may have been a genius, but I would not base my facts on the assumptions or even laws of others, especially of those I have never met.

Time is relative, and misunderstood by many.

Everything has mass, even if it travels without it.

Anything that we know can, at any moment, turn completely upside down and be the exact opposite.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join