It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama to China: Let us sell you stuff!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Oh well of course, India most certainly is a rising economy they operate some of the largest natural oil and gas reserves in the world, top 5 consumer of oil easily and have the population like China for that too rise and even Brazil is another country thats deffinatly to be watchd. You know, despite its mind bendering poverty conditions, India could get its act together, will take decades of modernisation though for that to ever happen i.e money. Most of there population is pretty much screwed. But still they have a better chance than most, no one is ever going to invade them, America allows them to have nuclear power, America even invaded Afghanistan for them so they could get oil and gas lines, and if they ever decided to start building a Navy they would probably buy from Britain India could essentialy become a super power.

Cant really stres enough though how much there lack of infrastructure and poverty holds them back. Slippery slope that though, having to go to the IMF for one of there super best friend of the empire loans. And people wonder why Chinas doors are shut.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnze
Cant really stres enough though how much there lack of infrastructure and poverty holds them back. Slippery slope that though, having to go to the IMF for one of there super best friend of the empire loans. And people wonder why Chinas doors are shut.

That's all part of a sustained growth the massive investment in their infrastructure. The US grew because of it's massive power grid, telephone and highway systems. China even copied the American highway system. Because it works.

India could do the same.

edit on 19-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
We could sell them, um, um, I'm trying to find out what we make good. Um, well, I think, We make really good lawyers, we could sell you lawyers!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
"Let us sell you stuff"

Stuff?

Sounds like something Dubya would say,
... and the left would be having a field day for using such a basic word.

We'll probably sell them the little tags that say
"Made in China"

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Sorry, was away...

What I meant to say was that, like in other situations, the internal pressures of the labor forces in China will, eventually, create a demand for a higher standard of living, better working conditions, and the ultimate need to share, and spend, the created wealth. These natural forces, I hope, will create a certain equilibrium in production costs, thus diminishing the huge gap to the more demanding labor markets of the West, Japan, and SK.
We must not forget that China, even though it is an economic power, still has a huge population, specially in the rural areas, that is living on the edge of poverty. Sooner, or later, they too will demand to share the wealth that is only visible in the "special economic regions".
Like Japan, and SK, wages will eventually rise, working hours diminish, and social policies will eventually have to change.
The "two system" policy will eventually lead to a peaceful change in the Chinese society, as a whole, or implode under it's own weight. No regime can, in the long run, keep most of it's population on the brink of starvation, while a small elite reaps the fruits of the collective effort.

The question is, IMO, will this change come in time to save what the citizens of Western societies have, for so long, taken for granted? Or, will there be a worldwide regression in the standards of living, and a gradual "bleeding" of wealth, with the consequential destruction of the "middle-class"?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Yep, that would be about right.
Let's just hope that when the time comes we still produce anything that somebody wants to buy.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CerBeRus666

thank you that's kind of what i thought you meant.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CerBeRus666

Only time will tell.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
I am scratching my head.
After the outsourcing of American jobs to other countries,what does America have left to sell??
China is the leader in car production and electronics,what else can America sell them besides more American outsourcing of jobs??
Edit to add.....I guess they can sell the water.
edit on 19-1-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

I like your happy stars!!!

How bout we sell them AMERICAN QUALITY?

OR we can just cry and go home

OP

I am glad he is doing something like this, we are dying because of bad trade balances
edit on 19-1-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
All ye with so little faith

Shame on you, where are your nuts???

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

More like bad trade policies IMO.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Maybe you should look at what America imports and see how the numbers sit. Someone said here they need coal I can tell you now they will buy whatever they need maybe even lead the world in green energy with the technology advances they are having and now they are playing with the big boys.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Technology can change the rules of the game however Methinks
that there are bounderies that have been set as to what timeframes
certain technologies are "Allowed" to be employed by all sides.
Bummer really, could have been awesome.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I have only read your opening post...
I know that Obama is a great salesman.
One of the gun shops I went to had his
picture on the wall as,top seller for the year.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I wonder why?

I wonder if hey are storing food supplies as well?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

There a lot of foreclosed homes that aren't being sold not because people don't want them because the banks don't want to sell them that badly. They have such high standards to buy a house that homes may never be filled up. Is the only country that would rather see their citzens homeless then let them buy an empty house?
Is that what the banks are waiting for the Chinese to buy these houses. I think that gives the Chinese too much power over U.S. citzens by making them our landlords.
It is a great idea to sell to the Chinese; things like computers or tv shows but not real estate!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Just imagine the culture shock it will be for their populace when its finally able to travel abroad on mass and mingle with the rest of the planet....

It's happening...well, maybe not in mass, but perhaps the great salesman, Obama, should be selling US Tourism.

After all, the Chinese can't replicate Disneyworld, Disneyland, the SF Bay area, and the many US Chinatowns in major cities, can they; well not just quite yet?

Check out these stats... China is a "Top Ten" tourist (for US) generating country for 2010, according to the US government:

TOP TWENTY TOURIST-GENERATING COUNTRIES

Oct-10 YEAR-TO-DATE (YTD) 2010

NUMBER OF % NUMBER OF %
COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE ARRIVALS CHANGE RANK COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE ARRIVALS CHANGE
CANADA 1,544,746 12.0 1 CANADA 17,189,574 11.4
MEXICO 1,128,310 0.5 2 MEXICO 11,064,027 8.8
UNITED KINGDOM 423,961 5.3 3 UNITED KINGDOM 3,293,279 -0.5
JAPAN 278,266 9.7 4 JAPAN 2,847,453 17.5
GERMANY 195,303 5.9 5 GERMANY 1,492,811 3.1
FRANCE 135,471 19.8 6 FRANCE 1,153,478 10.6
BRAZIL 116,255 28.6 7 BRAZIL 955,435 35.8
KOREA, SOUTH 91,134 71.4 8 KOREA, SOUTH 934,079 52.2
AUSTRALIA 82,311 18.7 9 AUSTRALIA 748,731 25.7
PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA (EXCL HONG KONG) 69,389 56.7 10 PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA (EXCL HONG KONG) 689,254 55.2

(bolded mine)

And:

INTERNATIONAL VISITATION UP EIGHT PERCENT IN SEPTEMBER 2010
SPENDING AT $11.7 BILLION FOR THE MONTH

The U.S. Department of Commerce announces that 5.1 million international visitors traveled to the United States in September 2010, an increase of eight percent compared to September 2009. September 2010 registers the 12th straight month of increases in U.S. arrivals. For the first nine months of 2010, 45.3 million international visitors traveled to the United States, an 11 percent increase compared to the same period in 2009.

INTERNATIONAL VISITOR SPENDING
International visitors spent $11.7 billion in September 2010, 11 percent more than in September 2009. September 2010 marks the ninth consecutive month of growth in U.S. travel and tourism-related exports. In the first nine months of 2010, visitors spent 100.0 billion, up 11 percent compared to the same period in 2009.

For more monthly visitor spending data, please visit:

tinet.ita.doc.gov...
edit on 20-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: attempt to fix url

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Oh, I totally agree with you (that's why I inserted "unfortunately"), but it IS happening--particularly in desirable locations such as Florida, California, Hawaii--where the foreclosure rates are high and the prices are "rock-bottom" relatively speaking, versus an otherwise "healthy" US economy....

edit on 20-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: punctuation err

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by vkturbo

Maybe you should look at what America imports and see how the numbers sit. Someone said here they need coal I can tell you now they will buy whatever they need maybe even lead the world in green energy with the technology advances they are having and now they are playing with the big boys.

If they had plans to lead the world in your "green energy", would they be scrambling to buy my coal at this moment?

BTW, coal comes entirely from "greenery". Probably the "greenest" energy there is.

edit on 2011/1/20 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Let us sell you stuff? Sounds like he's caving in with a leash. It sounds in a sense, he knows china is pretty much number 1 and is kneeling to them. this is effin scary if true! obama should demand whatever china owes us in money pay back now!!! jesus obama how about sell your soul, white house, pentagon and the rest of american land to them? geesh!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join