It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama to China: Let us sell you stuff!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

What was Americas number 1 export in terms of dollars again?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Good point here is the latest stats on that.

Military Statistics > US military exports (most recent) by country

I doubt we would sell China our weapons tech. I don't think Obama would let them spy and steal them like President Clinton did.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Well thanks there good buddy, i will swap ye your link for another!

www.sipri.org...

Excellent source for all things security and internationaly related.

Well, technology is a funny one with China, i honestly dont know if anyone can say how advanced they are, its easy to say there military technology isnt on par with America, thats fair enough, but its just that, China doesnt really use its military. It doesnt have too, thats the odd thing, yet all the while they have just recently engineered the worlds fastest supercomputer and dockd two satellites, something previously, only America has ever been able to acheive. China are slowly but surely giving other nations quite a subtle look at just how advanced they actualy are.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Do you have a link on the "Chinese super computer" ?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

yeah sure man, think they used nvidia i seem to recall

www.bit-tech.net...

2,507 trillion calculations a second, almost an entire petraflop faster than America. But obviously America may infact have faster computing technology, we will never know, they might just not feel obliged to show it.

Should also be noted although the hardware in this was largley non governmental it was still engineerd by China’s National University of Defence Technology
edit on 19-1-2011 by Johnze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Heh Heh I wonder what ATI has to say on the subject

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

LOL

Well intel have just released there Sandy Bridge line so AMD/ATI are pretty much screwed for the next year or two.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Let's see what Big Blue can construct using these.

IBM launches world's "fastest" computer chip

IBM is slated to ship the world's "fastest" computer chip on September 10th. But what will the 5.2 GHz microprocessor be used for?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

The only trouble is, IBM will probably only sell this in server mainframes not appreciating the massive potential in home PC's, if your interested enough heres a review of intels sandy bridge range, benchmarked and all. Might buy one lol, there awesome.

www.bit-tech.net...

Wont be surprised if China uses them to power a fleet of UFO's and zerg everyone.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Ok, somebody suggested Music, Entertainment, Movies...you, sir, have never been to China, have you?
Why buy something you can get for free? Western movies, music, and the likes, are on sale, everywhere for a few bucks, shortly after being available in the West...sometimes, specially in Software, before being available in the West...

As for machinery, auto industry, gadgets:
- Ford has just announced a new gigantic factory in China...so the US will get some profits, but no jobs...
- Cat, also is manufacturing in China...
- Of the ~5.000.000 phones, pads, tablets, sold last year by US companies none, that's right 0, where manufactured in the USA (only a couple of rapidly fleeing assembly jobs).
- Dell, the biggest PC manufacturer in the US, has announced the closing of another US plant...jobs to be outsourced...

American companies are doing great in China, unfortunately, for the workers, this does not reflect in the job market.
Like somebody suggested above, the only industries that can export, and maintain jobs in the US, are the Military Industrial Complex (not sure USA is willing to export last generation weaponry to PRC); the agricultural industry, not many more jobs to be created here; and, can't think of anything else at the moment

Solutions:
- Fair Trade agreement? Tax PRC's exports, to compensate for difference in salaries, and other social benefits?
- Penalize US companies that manufacture goods abroad just to then "export" them back to the USA?
- Adjust job market, salaries, benefits, so that the West becomes competitive again? This seems unrealistic, and virtually impossible: the social/political/security repercussions would be unthinkable...

I don't really see a good way out of this mess, aside from some sort of combination between the first, and second solution, I suggested.

Any good ideas are welcomed. But how do you sell anything to the guy that build everything?

I think the only way out is a long term solution. It has nothing to do with the USA, and everything with the PRC. Like Japan, and SK, before, only an increase in internal demands by Chinese employees, and the gradual social parity with the workers of the West will remedy the situation...but then, there is India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Myanmar, and so on...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Well the Super computer market isn't exactly a large market. However I think they are going to focus on mainframes etc.

I'm not surprised about Nvidia using their GPU in that fashion though. It figures, their GPU architecture is much more robust and diverse esp in rendering etc.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CerBeRus666

Star!

I'm grateful for your contribution.
It is appreciate.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CerBeRus666

Ummm im sorry, but can you please clarify what you meant by this statement

It has nothing to do with the USA

Because it almost seems in the context with which you used it, you would be advocating populist uprising in nations such as China, in order to destabilse them for regime change?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

I dunno they are offline.

They may have meant it differently but my spin on it is that the Chinese citizens wealth needs to grow some more and their standard of living needs to continue to grow to reach western levels for the masses then it will be a consumer market where foreign products will be in demand as they are then able to pay higher prices for those non Chinese products .

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Well man this is the drum thats been getting beat for a while now about how china keeps an artificialy low economy for the sake of trade. But NOBODY has to outsource to China if they dont want too, and personaly the way i feel, if things are basicaly going tits up with everything in our economies because we no longer have anyone who can afford to buy our # we cant all of a sudden demand nations start inflating there economies to suit us so they can get acces to all the # nobody basicaly needs.

Imagine the proffits that would be harvested if China just opend its door to buy now pay later, or let everyone get credit from cowboy U.S banks. Thats basicaly all America cares about is getting acces to a billion chinamen that will buy there consumerist # to help bail out there failed economy. And China, to be perfectly honest is taking nothing to do with it.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
If you haven't noticed everything that is going on is centered around developing human relations between China and America. Humanitarianism at its finest! Those who think like this claim that human problems can be solved if we all just keep on talking. Yeah, right.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Well I think it's going to happen anyways.

The Chinese are riding a good wave for now but in time their workers will demand real wages with real buying power and they like everybody else in the world will not want domestically made items [In China] and will start looking abroad for those items/products etc.

They will want to travel and spend their hard earned money etc
edit on 19-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Nobama’s State Dinner for Chinese President Hu Jintao

Hu provided the Fortune cookies

Obama's fortune cookie read "You are a sucker".

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Oh no doubt mate, but were talking decades. The Chinese arent stupid any growth that occurs in that country will be on Chinese terms and that will be that, theres a very very good reason they dont want people like America interfering with there economy, especialy there culture. Take the great firewall of China, do you honestly think the Chinese government wants its population exsposed the levels of retardation we do in western countries?, hell no, brainless, rampant consumerism, debt?, no thanks. People might deride them and say its a form of control over its people because China is kinda evil that way, but its also a form of protecting there people from influences they are in all honest better to stay away from. I just honestly dont think China wants to have there economy and population completely fubard with the cowboy economics that control Western nations.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Just imagine the culture shock it will be for their populace when its finally able to travel abroad on mass and mingle with the rest of the planet....

I dunno about it taking decades though.

China as No. 2: Why Its Days as a Manufacturing Outsourcer Are Numbered

This shift has been in process for 30 years. China exports more than Germany, much of that in the form of good produced in factories on behalf of Western countries. Much of the population is still poor, but labor and material prices are on the rise in China. It makes sense, as domestic growth must compete for the same physical and people resources.

However, they’re also on the rise throughout other parts of Asia, including Indonesia, Vietnam, and Bangladesh. What we now see is the beginning of a shift of economic conditions. For a short period of time, companies could become manufacturing nomads, moving from one country to another in search of low costs. Eventually, however, you run out of new territories.

I was reading an article which had an interview of an Australian politician who recently retired who said from his perspective India will rise faster than China. His argument was that India's population is younger and sex/gender balanced vs China's lopsided one child [Male] oriented aging population.
edit on 19-1-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join