It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Ala. gov: Just Christians are his family

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetflock
reply to post by redoubt

Are you kidding? The guy gets in and immediately starts being retarded. Screw him.

I think the polite term is "developmentally disabled" and I suspect he was that way before he was elected Gov.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

Agreed. Although, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is most likely to save us all.

I never understood the "who will save you??" question. I was not even aware I was in need of saving...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggyMcBigPants

Yes the Pastafarianists have just as equal a claim on the hereafter as anyone and a less violent history than most

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
+++++++++++++ Update ++++++++++++++++++

Alabama's new governor apologizes for Christian comments, rabbi accepts

Video Link

Good enough for me. The man seems sincere, he misspoke and is accountable for his actions.

In that spirit, I herby retract all criticism. Honesty without any BS. Actually this is somewhat refreshing for a change.

edit on 19-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
+++++++++++++ Update ++++++++++++++++++

Alabama's new governor apologizes for Christian comments, rabbi accepts

Video Link

Good enough for me. The man seems sincere, he misspoke and is accountable for his actions.

In that spirit, I herby retract all criticism. Actually this is somewhat refreshing for a change.

Works for me...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Where do you get that he thinks less of anybody? He merely stated that he wanted to be brother/sister to all. He was speaking in church and if you as a demo can't tolerate free speech......Like saying what he believes..... My twin sons go to church with and know him personally. He's a good man and thinks in terms of being a Christian first, then whatever else. He will be a very good governor.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
Oh for Christ's sake... the man has only been in office for... what? 36 hours and already he's being hammered because of his faith?

Come on guys! Give him a chance to at least begin a formal inquisition or round up people for burning at the stake before you start the word riots.

Hell, I didn't even vote for him and I have no problem with not verbally assaulting him just yet.

Please, put down your torches and rope. Go back to your homes and sharpen your spear points. You can be sure he will make a bigger blunder in this, his first days as governor... just be patient.

Only because he's hammering his own people on religion...

If you haven't accepted Jesus into your life, you're not his brother or sister. So, he's already placing who he likes and doesn't like because of religion...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by dakota1s2

Where do you get that he thinks less of anybody?

or proclaiming to a Baptist church audience that only Christians were his brothers and sisters

"Anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother."

nd if you as a demo can't tolerate free speech......Like saying what he believes

Mixing politics and religion while making statements like that shouldn't be tolerated for an elected representative.

Just throwing it out there, if he was a Muslim and said "Anybody here today who has not accepted Allah as their savior, I'm telling you, you're not my brother and you're not my sister, and I want to be your brother.", what do you think the response would be?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dakota1s2

Where do you get that he thinks less of anybody? He merely stated that he wanted to be brother/sister to all. He was speaking in church and if you as a demo can't tolerate free speech......Like saying what he believes..... My twin sons go to church with and know him personally. He's a good man and thinks in terms of being a Christian first, then whatever else. He will be a very good governor.

Rest assured FlyersFan is no "demo"

However she is one of the few conservatives that has my respect for her logic, passion, kind demeanor and not typing in HUGE letters, shouting to make a point...bless her heart!!!

Topic...........Religion and preferential treatment for anyone should be avoided in politics at all costs.
edit on 19-1-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

How do you mix politics and religion, when your in your church, talking only to other members who are at least pretending they believe the same things you do? You can't unless the attendee is a liar.

"I will never deny being a born-again Christian. I do have core beliefs and I will die with those core beliefs," Bentley said. "But I do not want to be harmful to others. And I will die if I have to to defend someone else's right to worship as they choose."

Do people prefer phonies to people who stand by their beliefs as leaders? Why?

"He's saying I want to be your brother. That's an invitation. But basically the way it's heard is as an exclusionary statement," said Brown, who studies evangelical Christian literature.

"My guess is that expressions of shock and concern by critics are even perhaps disingenuous, because this can scarcely be the first time they've heard a similar statement. If they're in Alabama, they've heard this before, they've heard it many times before and maybe even by political leaders."

That seems like a rational take on it, from a rational person who is not speaking out of hate.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAMIAM

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Listen ... the fella is supposed to represent EVERYONE in his state.

This is not only untrue, it is impossible. If he looks after the interests of those who did not vote for him, he will be turning his back on those who DID cast their vote in his favor.

No .. it's VERY possible and it is expected.

Or as Christ said, no man can serve two masters.

Or as our gov't laws say .... keep your damn religious bias' out of politics.
If he can't serve the people of the state without bringing in his religious bias, then he has no business being gov.

*Your ... a generic 'your'.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by dakota1s2
Where do you get that he thinks less of anybody?

He said that only christians were his brethren and that the others were just that .. others.
Separate. Not up to his level. It was directly implied.

He merely stated that he wanted to be brother/sister to all.

No that's not 'merely all'. He stated that 'JUST Christians are his family'.
Again ... the inference is that the others are not up to the level of being 'his family'.
People care for their family more than they care for others. It's just that simple.
And he doesn't look upon people outside his church the same way as those in his church.

He was speaking in church

Doesnt' matter. He's the gov. now and when he speaks like this it reveals his bias.
People aren't going to magically forget what he says just because he says it in a certain building.

and if you as a demo can't tolerate free speech......

A demo ... gawd you crack me up

Did you even read the thread?? This has NOTHING to do with free speech. In fact, I pretty much said that this fella should let it rip and tell everyone exactly how he feels. Get his bias' and bigotry out in the open. Let people know exactly what they got when they voted for this guy. It's GOOD that he's blabbing ... now people know more about him and now people know to keep an eye on him.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
for her logic, passion, kind demeanor ...

Kind demeanor? Musta' got me on an off day. I'm pretty cranky.

Originally posted by Blaine91555
How do you mix politics and religion, when your in your church, talking only to other members who are at least pretending they believe the same things you do?

He's the gov. He's not talking 'only to other members' of his church. He is a public figure now, representing everyone, and everything he says is revealing. As I said - I hope he keeps blabbing. It'll show who he really is.

Do people prefer phonies to people who stand by their beliefs as leaders? Why?

Did you read the thread? I want him to blab and blab and be completely open and honest about his bigotry. Stand by his beliefs .. sure ... and his beliefs fly in the face of him being able to represent everyone equally ... blind of religious preferences.

He has apologized for what he said.
That's great.
But it doesn't change the fact that he said it.
He said what he believes. And it ain't pretty.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Or as our gov't laws say .... keep your damn religious bias' out of politics.
If he can't serve the people of the state without bringing in his religious bias, then he has no business being gov.

Our laws do not say anything about keeping religious bias out of politics. They say that all have equal protection under the law and that the State cannot establish a religion. Religious bias has been in our government since it's inception.

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are endowed by there creator.

While this statement is not directly Christian, it IS religious, it does point to a certain Supernatural being, and it excludes the Atheistic mindset.

Furthermore, if you travel around a bit you will see religion has impacted life in almost every state through our laws.

1. Many places don't sell alcohol on Sunday.
2. Laws against sodomy. (though unenforceable now)
3. Laws against interracial marriage. (Yes this was in place and based on biblical beliefs)
4. Christmas is a Federal Holiday (This wasn't a winter festival when the holiday started)
5. Prayers before the opening session of Congress.
6. Prayers at the inauguration of a President.
7. "In God we Trust" on the money.

Now I am not saying that I agree or disagree with these points. I am just demonstrating that your argument is without merit. Religion impacts people. It is part of their life. Like it or not, it IS who they are. If a religious person is who the voters want, it is there right t exercise it at the polling booth. Once elected, the person is free to exercise his rights as an American. You are free to disagree, and try to gather up enough opposition to vote someone else in next cycle. The man could say he believes only White, Christian, one armed tuba players are his Brothers and Sisters if he wanted to. There is nothing impeachable or wrong with this. He can sign off on a law giving only white, Christian, one armed tuba players government money for college if wanted to. However, the courts would step in and decide this new law was unconstitutional and it would be struck down. It is still his right to do with the office he has been elected to.

As a Governor, he is elected by his constituency to do what is best for the State in a manner agreeable to his party platform.

I am not telling you what I agree with, I am telling you how it is.

Personally, I do not believe any man has a right to govern another, nor do I believe one can "Own" property. Though these are my beliefs, it does not mean I can claim this is how the government at hand works.

I do not need a representative. There isn't a man alive who can represent my views better than myself. In this system of Government, people do elect representatives. Those representatives will have the common mindset of the people who elected them. You said Alabama was a Church going community, and you left. What do you expect to come out of Alabama but a Church going, Christ believing, representative? This should not be shocking.

Be glad YOUR representative doesn't hold those views, since they aren't your own.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

He has apologized for what he said.
That's great.
But it doesn't change the fact that he said it.
He said what he believes. And it ain't pretty.

If he had not apologized I might feel differently, but he did. Yes he said it but in hindsight realized he might have offended / encroached on others with his remarks. That speaks volumes in my book. I often wish my big fat mouth had an undo button.
I'm sure you'd agree we've all said things we regret.

I'm over it and already forgave the man and I'm not that altruistic although striving to be. Besides, I don't live in Alabama anyhoo.

"To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.” -- Lewis B. Smedes

My .02¢

edit on 20-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Hi. I currently reside in Alabama and have been here for 20 years. I couldn't care less about your religion.

I'd just like to point out that I completely undermined the supposed truth of your post in one line. I'd also like to say that I was offended by your bigotry. You stereotyped me, a citizen of this state, who has never once asked anyone about church attendance, and who himself is agnostic. I am living proof of the inaccuracy of your post. The "facts" you cite may indeed be your experiences but until every single person in Alabama has approached you and asked what church you're in, then it's a stereotype to suggest we're all like that based on your encounters with a small cross-section of the population. I find it difficult to believe that even 1% of the population of the Huntsville area met you personally and immediately asked about your church attendance. That's 1800 people. I've been all over this state in the years that I've been here, and I've been in all of the high population areas, and I certainly haven't been accosted by that many people clamoring to find out about my religious preferences.

I find your regionalism both offensive and frightening. I don't doubt that you had some shoddy experiences here, and I'm certainly not saying we don't have our share of zealots, but the whole population of the state is not as you described.

Have you stopped and considered that your words are quite similar to those of the governor, whose comments you so hated? You object to the exclusionary nature of his comments, correct? And yet in the same breath, there you are, crucifying (pun intended) several million people because you personally don't like what they believe.
edit on 20-1-2011 by bikeshedding because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by bikeshedding

Have you stopped and considered that you're not behaving all that much different from the governor, whose comments you so hated? You object to the exclusionary nature of his comments, correct? And yet in the same breath, there you are, crucifying (pun intended) several million people because you personally don't like what they believe.

And now here you are crucifying [pun intended]FlyersFan for her observations and perception.

See the irony here?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Of course. I saw it when I wrote it. But the scenarios are not exactly identical, and sometimes it takes fire to fight fire.

Do be sure to note that I only addressed my comments to one person, and did not, for instance, suggest that all fans of the Flyers must share the same thoughts and are deserving of the same criticism. Note also that I voiced my offense to those comments and stated why I was offended. Note that at no point have I said anything that excludes or attacks a large group of people based on my reaction to the post.

Do you deny that what FlyersFan wrote was a stereotyping of the state? Is there anything in my post that is factually inaccurate, to your knowledge? Would you defend the veracity of her post? Or did you just think that I needed to be taught a lesson for being correct?
edit on 20-1-2011 by bikeshedding because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

I'll second that!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Context, people, context!

Governor Bentley was speaking at a religious gathering. Therefore it is proper that his words included an expression of his faith. The actual scripture he is thinking of in that instance was probably from Mark 3:

31. There came then his brethren and his mother, and, standing without, sent unto him, calling him.
32. And the multitude sat about him, and they said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee.
33. And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren?
34. And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
35. For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

The actual belief is that all who worship God are brother and sister... Bentley was referencing this as well as inviting anyone listening to join this 'family'.

Where did this idea come from that people who are elected to public office are no longer citizens? Bentley does not have the right to free speech? He cannot express himself religiously in a religious gathering? Where are his rights? Or do some here believe that rights are fine and dandy as long as they only apply to people they agree with?

Now, as to FlyersFan's observations:

I am sorry you felt so out-of-place in the South. I am even sorrier that it took you nine years to find the road out. We try to mark the exit signs as best we can. You certainly have some extreme beliefs which, to be frank, wouldn't go over good around here even if religion wasn't a factor.

You see, you came to a place and immediately insulted everyone around you. How? Well, if I invited someone to meet others in the community and expressed an interest in getting to know them, I would be offended when they told me they had no desire to have anything to do with me.

That's what you apparently did.

Churches are more than just places of worship here. They are community centers. They are gathering places for those in a particular community to visit others and talk and get to know one another. People were asking where you went to church because they were wanting to get to know you. They invited you to come to their church because they wanted to get to know you. That's Southern hospitality. Those people were trying to express friendship to you, and what did you say to them in response to this unforgivable crime of expressing interest in you?

I would have said something like "I'm not much of a church-goer, but thank you anyway."

What did you say?

I will assume from your observations that you would prefer to never be invited anywhere and never make any new acquaintances. Strange ways, but OK, if that is what you want. I would appreciate it, however, if you could curtail your bigotry and prejudice, because that is exactly what I have heard in almost every post of yours in this thread... someone who considers others... considers me... so inferior due to their differences from you that they are less than human. There are actually laws against saying things like that about people of color, probably about people's sexual persuasion.

I hope someday you can evolve beyond your prejudice. Preferably before you consider me as 3/5 of a person.

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join