It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. High School Shooting

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Getready knows alot more then you do anne about firearms and the way kids deal with them. *the kid was trying to protect himself from a gang* That is just a assumption. He probably brought it just to be *cool*.

edit on 18-1-2011 by thethingreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Don't misunderstand, I am a huge fan of guns, and proper gun education and exposure would have prevented this tragedy. Maybe we should ad proper gun handling to the school curriculums like Phys Ed. and Sex Ed.? If everyone knew how to properly handle a gun, and how to use it in self-defense, and how to properly treat it with safety, it would prevent a lot of accidents and serve as a major crime deterrent!

This past week a beautiful girl at FSU was killed at a Frat House, because some moron bought a new gun and wanted to show it off to her. He thought it was unloaded and a second later she was dead. Now he is in jail and two families are in shock.

I am not a fan of gun control legislation, but I do believe we should all be qualified before we start messing with something that is so lethal so quickly.

FSU Student shot and killed at Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity/
edit on 18-1-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I call bull on that claim. Unless it was something like a .44mag with a full metal jacket round in the chamber that would be nearly impossible. Even with the right combo of ammo and caliber the kids would have to stand in a straight line. Maybe the gun went off and three people were struck by ricochet fragments. That is the only way it even seems plausable.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The most recent update says two people were shot:

A shooting that injured two people at a high school in Gardena, California, on Tuesday was accidental, Los Angeles Unified School District spokesman Rober Alaniz said.

The two injured have been transported to a hospital, Alaniz said. He told CNN affiliate KCAL/KCBS that a student brought the gun to school in a backpack, and when the student dropped the backpack, the gun discharged and wounded two students.

Earlier, Gardena police said three people were shot at the school. Police said a suspect is in their custody.

news.blogs.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I don't find this surprising. It's LA for crying out loud. This sort of behavior is commonplace there. I don't know why this is even national news unless it's being pushed to rile up the anti-gun crowd.

The mentioning of "black" male is meant to rile up racial sentiments also.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
So, it wasn't three people after all. Okay, two people I can see being more believable. I still find it funny, but freak accidents happen.

An auto would go off easier if it was a single action or a cheap model like a Jiminez, Davis, or Phoenix Arms. However, it would be hard for a semi-auto to operate and release a second round in a back pack.

We'll just have to wait and see what the official story becomes. If the girl is in critical condition I doubt the bullet jjust richocheted off of her head and struck another student.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I guess the part that I find sad is that we don't know all the details about what could have led to this such as was mentioned before it someone had been threatening him. Then of course the fact that it would appear to be a accidental discharge. I am wondering if the reason he was hiding was more out of fear then attempt to escape. Fight or Flight kicks in and obviously he was Flight as he ran from the situation.

I am in now way excusing what happened or the fact that he brought a gun to school in the first place, but it makes you wonder what is going to happen to this kid, and what led up to it all in the first place. Was this a simple incident of an accident brought on by bringing a gun to school because he was scared of someone out to get him? Or was this a gang banger that just did something stupid. The real question in my mind would be will the prosecution even look at this when they go to try him.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by thethingreallyThis kid is a moron for bringing a gun to school. He's going to be spending 30, 40, or more years in the slammer. NOT WORTH IT. He wont be getting any ass for a loooooooooooong time. Worst thing about the pen.
edit on 18-1-2011 by thethingreally because: (no reason given)

Actually, I bet first thing is they will play the race card and how he is afraid because of that fact and feels the need have one. Yeah, he was wrong, but he's a good kid and it’s not his fault its societies fault for making him feel this way will be next. If we have to we’ll talk about how it’s the fault of the police for not cleaning up the neighborhood in which he lives, the parents (most likely his and the victims) will sue the school for not having a rectal cavity search of all children prior to entering the school.

Then we'll get sidetracked with more gun restriction arguments.

The kid may plea to some kind of misdemeanor and get probation if that...and the victims will be long forgotten before the smoke clears the room....

My prediction at least

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by knylon90

Agree with this but it has to be pointed out from someone on the outside looking in...

Seems that someone somewhere really doesn't like the idea of you guys having fire arms and are prepared to do anything to take away this right. Hopefully I am wrong but I have a feeling things are going to get worse in the not too distant future. The recent shooting of members of congress didn't do the trick so they going to try harder.

Thoughts and prayers with those killed/injured and their families.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
I don't find this surprising. It's LA for crying out loud. This sort of behavior is commonplace there. I don't know why this is even national news unless it's being pushed to rile up the anti-gun crowd.

No. It was not.
When it first happened, he had not been apprehended. The description of the "shooter" was absolutely needed. He was black. Part of his description, as was "male" and "14-15"
edit on January 18th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: has to had

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleoNo. It was not.
When it first happened, he has not been apprehended. The description of the "shooter" was absolutely needed. He was black. Part of his description, as was "male" and "14-15"

Seems one can not even describe a suspect without hate speach now days....

No wonder we can't do good police work.

Dispatcher to all Units: Looking for a person...who can not be further described for fear of possible lawsuit for profiling.

Rookie Uh,....really?

Dispacther Just find this...person

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Its funny that this isnt front page news.

Do it in Paducah Kentucky or Columbine Colorado, and its huge news.

Do it in LA, who cares? Cant even find it on CNNs page.

I cant help but wonder if white kid victims are more compelling than black kid victims. Guess its that liberal media at work.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by knylon90
Stories like this make it a lot harder to argue for gun advocacy. Damn kids.

Hey, food with fat in it, kills people, lets ban it.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Update:

LOS ANGELES – A gun in a 10th-grader's backpack discharged Tuesday when he dropped the bag, wounding two students at a high school, including one who remained in critical condition, police said.

A 15-year-old girl with a head wound underwent hours of surgery at Los Angeles County Harbor-UCLA Medical Center, said Dr. Gail V. Anderson Jr. A 15-year-old boy was in serious condition with neck and shoulder wounds.

Both teens were hit with the same bullet, Los Angeles deputy police chief Patrick Gannon said.

The student who brought the gun apologized before running to another classroom, Gannon said.

"He said I'm sorry when the gun went off. It made it appear to the teacher that it was an accident," Gannon said.

However, Los Angeles police Lt. John Pasquariello said later it was a crime to bring a gun to campus. The unidentified student was arrested and charges were pending, he said.

"We don't know exactly what happened," Pasquariello said. "Traditionally, guns don't go off without someone's finger on the trigger."
SOURCE

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

reply to post by Intelearthling

What do you think the effect of the word "male" has on the transgender community?

You obviously have an issue with race.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Come on... It's LA... and FOX News...

Is this really that wallbending Leo?

Didn't think so...

Where did all the good topics go?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Does anyone have updates on the condition of those that were shot? The female was listed as critical - she was shot in the head.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
For those asking about why the student brought a gun to school, this LA Times article contains a quote from a friend of the shooter who claims that he had brought the gun to school several times before this. The friend stated that the student who brought the gun felt threatened after having been in a fight outside of school.

For those with questions about how the bullet "shot" so many people... I recognize that a lot of the misunderstanding about this arose from initial reports that 3 people were shot, as opposed to the currently reported 2 people. This article from the LA Times cites the tweets of a student who was in the class, and who notes that though 2 people were shot, one of them suffered a "grazing wound." I was having a difficult time determining from the article which student was grazed: the one with the neck wound or the one with the head wound?

This article, also from the LA Times, indicates that the bullet first struck a boy in the neck, passed through, then struck a girl in the head. For the record, that is based on the words of the chief medical examiner at the hospital. Because the boy's wound has in other sources been indicated as a neck or shoulder wound, I assume this to mean that the injury occurred at least near where the neck and shoulders meet, though the precise trajectory of the bullet is still a bit of a mystery.

As far as I can tell, this article contains the most recent update on the conditions of the wounded. The girl is in critical condition. Her skull was fractured and she otherwise sustained "brain trauma." The boy is in stable condition and is expected to recover. It's interesting that the police have still not definitively stated whether one bullet struck both students, but they certainly admit that it's possible.

There are other interesting elements to the last article that I linked. It's clear that it will be difficult to sift through the testimonies of witnesses. There are claims that the bag was dropped, that the suspect leaned on the bag, and that the suspect had been reaching into the bag. Note that the article states that the suspect dropped the handgun outside of the class after he ran out. Did he reach into the bag and pull out the gun after the shooting? That's unclear. There are also conflicts between student perception of the suspect and the perception of at least one aide at the school. While the students who gave quotes seemed to believe that the suspect genuinely did not do this on purpose, the article nevertheless notes that an aide had previously had conversations with the student about his anger issues. There was no elaboration on the issues, and for all we know, they were rooted in his own sense of being unsafe at the school.

There's still a lot of speculative stuff in what we know about this event that will take a couple days to sort out...

edit on 18-1-2011 by bikeshedding because: Punctuation

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by thethingreally
reply to post by Annee

Getready knows alot more then you do anne about firearms and the way kids deal with them. *the kid was trying to protect himself from a gang* That is just a assumption. He probably brought it just to be *cool*.

You really think so? How do you know?

Did you know I was born in Compton? My father used to take me Jack Rabbit hunting in Fox Hills. Do you even know what/where Fox Hills is? Do you know where Agoura Canyon is - - and what it was like 40+ years ago?

You ever had molten lead on your kitchen stove? Vacuum up a primer and have it go off in the vacuum?

Never assume.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
Its funny that this isnt front page news.

Do it in Paducah Kentucky or Columbine Colorado, and its huge news.

Do it in LA, who cares? Cant even find it on CNNs page.

I cant help but wonder if white kid victims are more compelling than black kid victims. Guess its that liberal media at work.

It's LA, it's almost a daily occurrence. LA Unified is one of the worst school districts in the state , if not the country. Now if there were no shooting's, that would be news. Alot of it is gang related.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join